Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As with the launch of the configurator, these initial Guide contacts are for the benefit of Rivian... not us. They are simply gathering information to refine their production strategy, not providing the answers to our every question (at least not yet, anyway).
Sponsored

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

One final thing I thought was very interesting is she told me that the off-road package was removed, but if I added it back on (I took mine off) then it would get me the truck sooner.

I was VERY suspicious by this comment and asked the question of how much sooner, days, weeks, months etc which was just answered by not sure, it's up to the "build team".
---just added off road package back on. Plan on taking it off after they contact me ha. It's like if you don't know how much sooner - why even tease that it's going to get you bumped up.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

↓↓↓↓ I like this. ↓↓↓↓

As with the launch of the configurator, these initial Guide contacts are for the benefit of Rivian... not us. They are simply gathering information to refine their production strategy, not providing the answers to our every question (at least not yet, anyway).
Just so I can like this twice...

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

---just added off road package back on. Plan on taking it off after they contact me ha. It's like if you don't know how much sooner - why even tease that it's going to get you bumped up.
You must not have read the post that once you are contacted by the Guide and confirm your current build, they stated that any changes should go through the Guide moving forward... Best of luck to you though.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
She said that she didn’t have access to other customer’s accounts, so she couldn’t tell me what configurations/options were going to have a July delivery.
There is no way Rivian could not have anticipated this being a question that guides would be asked frequently as they started reaching out.

The fact that Rivian has ordained that a single guide will be the customer's ONLY point of contact with Rivian going forward but that guide is not given information to field an easily-anticipated question is rather revealing about the whole guide strategy.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
↓↓↓↓ I like this. ↓↓↓↓

Just so I can like this twice...
I also added it back which if it speeds up my Dec. 2018 Max Pack order, I’ll take it!

irpete

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
That makes sense but it seems like they wouldn't be choosing who to contact based on color, etc as they have always said that these things would be finalized during the guide calls.

I contacted CS months ago and asked them if they could put a note in my account that I was open to several colors. I've switched between blue, El Cap and Silver a couple of times over the years. If they were to call me and tell me a certain color would make me wait longer it would help my decision.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
There is no way Rivian could not have anticipated this being a question that guides would be asked frequently as they started reaching out.

The fact that Rivian has ordained that a single guide will be the customer's ONLY point of contact with Rivian going forward but that guide is not given information to field an easily-anticipated question is rather revealing about the whole guide strategy.
Also, what kind of training were the “Guides” provided? It sounded like a month long process and yet they seemingly know very little?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There is no way Rivian could not have anticipated this being a question that guides would be asked frequently as they started reaching out
Rivian has a good idea about the answer to this question & I believe the guides probably do too.

However, they aren't willing to share it yet...

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Another thing to keep in mind is that the earliest res # on this forum isn't 1 or 1001 in the Rivian order system. I think it was 1234. That means there are potentially 233 (or even 1233) orders that could be delivered first. Even if it's only 100 or 150 other deliveries ahead of this very early order in the right location /color, that may be all Rivian have planned for the first month which would push this delivery into August. That doesn't sound unrealistic. Ramping up to their intended throughput will take at least 6 months. Even in the original order thread, it was always clear (to the speculators in this forum, myself included) there wouldn't be that many vehicles delivered in the Jun-Sept period, all depending on the production ramp. This remains true.

Sponsored

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
It seems like they can only build so many trucks and if they told everyone that blue or whatever would get you truck first then everyone would switch to blue and not everyone could get trucks sooner as making them blue doesn't mean they can make more faster.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You must not have read the post that once you are contacted by the Guide and confirm your current build, they stated that any changes should go through the Guide moving forward... Best of luck to you though.
Once a reservation enters the "guide" phase, Rivian really should lock that order so it can only be viewed, online, and not edited by the customer.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Once a reservation enters the "guide" phase, Rivian really should lock that order so it can only be viewed, online, and not edited by the customer.
Correct...but it isn't and people start getting all crazy-eyed when they THINK there is some secret configuration that gets them closer to the front of the line...when in actuality editing a Guide-confirmed configuration could in fact push in the opposite direction....but it is officially the wild west and let the insanity ensue.

OP
OP
AdamL

AdamL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Honda Pilot
I was 80+ and sunny in Seattle today. He was probably out enjoying the rare warm day before July 4th (the start of our summer).
@SeaGeo, you are quite correct! Perfect day yesterday for a trip into the mountains.

Yes, I did have my guide call yesterday (about 30 min), and this will probably be more of what we have heard so far from the other guide calls, but here is a brief rundown form my call and my perspective:

My guide was super friendly and seemed genuinely happy to finally be making some of these calls. She did ask quite a bit about my hobbies, my family, and how I would be using the truck. She has been working at Rivian for about a year and did migrate over from the CS team. She even mentioned that she is quite familiar with some of the outstanding questions and concerns from the Rivian community.

• We did review the same address/configuration questions that other are reporting. I asked if one particular configuration was more likely to get a build earlier, and she mentioned that they are still working out the production runs, so not quite a direct answer.
  • Before I could ask, she acknowledged that most folks had been asking about range numbers and UX details. She mentioned that there will be a series of emails forthcoming with much more information about both of those questions.
  • I asked if it would be possible to get the wall mount earlier to get a jump on installing it and it seemed like that would be possible, but not a direct yes. She did ask about how I intended to handle home charging and we discussed it for a bit. I have a dedicated circuit already to charge my 3, so should be a straightforward install.
  • I asked her if tank turn is still a ‘thing’ or if it has disappeared into the ether. She said that it was still a feature.
  • Like @Shzeph reported, the only timeline I was given with any degree of certainty was November. She mentioned it could be possible beforehand, but not sure of details.
To be clear, I don’t think this means that deliveries are even further behind and Rivian should be criticized for their misinformation, I just think that they are still not quite sure of production schedule and did not want to over promise. It did still let the wind out my sails a bit, though.

• There will be digital store at some point. She even asked me what I would like to see in the store and she mentioned some of the items others had asked for.
  • I did ask a lot of questions about the timing of the actual production/financing/build cycle. From the time your number is pulled, is it a 3-week process? 4-weeks? She is going to get some more detail about that.
  • I asked about the app. The magical elusive app that can be used to track production, handle financing/insurance, etc. as well as manage the truck. *shock* More info soon. I then asked about whether the app would be released one day on the iOS/android stores or if it would be sent to each person before the production cycle begins. She was going to find out about that.
Overall, I am still excited as ever, but didn’t quite get the excitement boost I might have been hoping for. That’s more an issue of what I expected in my own head, not necessarily Rivian letting me down. I mean, why would the guides tell me something about a detail or feature that they wouldn’t make available to everyone? If Bezos was my last name, maybe.

We will see what happens from here, and I am more than happy to keep posting about my experience and I hope other do as well. Our collective experience and excitement are what makes these forums so much fun.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Correct...but it isn't and people start getting all crazy-eyed when they THINK there is some secret configuration that gets them closer to the front of the line...when in actuality editing a Guide-confirmed configuration could in fact push in the opposite direction....but it is officially the wild west and let the insanity ensue.
Disappointing that Rivian hasn't implemented such a simple control.

I view companies like Rivian/Tesla to be "tech" companies... so when they miss easy/obvious tech problems then it does give me concern.
Sponsored