MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
Guys, come on...

We keep on wanking it to the idea of Rivianā„¢ Service Centersā„¢ accompanying every single delivery. They can delivery trucks to such far-flung places like Pittsburgh or Peoria or Phoenix or Portland or Plano or Pasadena with minimal field service and sublet space or a third-party service contract.

It's so much more likely that they are being SUPER choosy about who is in this very initial run because it's incredibly small. Think about it - if you have something around 50-100 trucks (or whatever) to distribute, and you know that you're not ramping to mass production soon, where would you send them? All basically to the same area(s). It just makes sense.

That said, the real issue here is that the communications are just so broken. Instead of being open and honest about what is going down, they are choosing to turtle and ride it out with practically no comms. They are causing us, their most fervent external stakeholders, ones that have put our money where are mouth is, to basically invent a reality and bicker amongst each other on fan forums to try to explain what the heck is going on.

What should be a joyous time about the start of production has devolved into honest to goodness turd bonanza with people getting torqued because they feel slighted, and other putting a portion of their life on hold waiting for that call from Natalie in Illinois.

The sad part is this could all be cleared up if RJ (or some other jagoff from Rivian) just pounds a bunch of Whiteclaws and hops on the Twitter machine to set us all straight.

Ugh. I'm going to bed.
There is so much truth here. Thank you for reading my mind

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I donā€™t know about Teslaā€™s service centers but we are only hypothesizing that thatā€™s one of the factors Rivian is using to prioritize delivery locations. It doesnā€™t mean they have to have one every 10 miles all over the country.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Actually Tesla is a good case study that Rivian is likely not ignoring.
When it launched the Model S, first deliveries werenā€™t limited to just one region. This created huge issues when problems arose in early delivery vehicles. They learned from that. With the launch of the 3, Tesla publicly announced that first deliveries would be concentrated in California. Yes, Tesla now sells everywhere, but they were not in any rush to get my early reservation Model 3 to me in South Carolina during vehicle launch.

Rivian likewise would be smart to focus initial deliveries near service centers. I donā€™t care if buyers in remote areas have agreed to the risk of limited service, it is not good PR for a new company if something proves wrong and buyers throughout the country complain of trouble getting their vehicles to a service center.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Actually Tesla is a good case study that Rivian is likely not ignoring.
When it launched the Model S, first deliveries werenā€™t limited to just one region. This created huge issues when problems arose in early delivery vehicles. They learned from that. With the launch of the 3, Tesla publicly announced that first deliveries would be concentrated in California. Yes, Tesla now sells everywhere, but they were not in any rush to get my early reservation Model 3 to me in South Carolina during vehicle launch.

Rivian likewise would be smart to focus initial deliveries near service centers. I donā€™t care if buyers in remote areas have agreed to the risk of limited service, it is not good PR for a new company if something proves wrong and buyers throughout the country complain of trouble getting their vehicles to a service center.
Iā€™m ok with this approach, but why not tell us which areas are first instead of leaving us all in this perpetual guessing game? At least Tesla had the courtesy to let their customers know that CA would be first.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
On the other hand, Tesla has experienced so many struggles that perhaps Rivian is choosing to learn from Tesla's mistakes and NOT repeat all of them.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
My ignorant hypothesis concerning launch is this:
Rivian is trying to launch vehicle production, customer deliveries and subsequent vehicle service in a reasonably efficient manner. It's a highly inefficient process by its very nature running a huge company for a small number of paying customers. It's only designed to be profitable at high production levels. Rivian needs to burn cash like it's going out of style for the next few years because yes they are going to need large service network that only operates at 10% capacity until they get a large number of vehicles in our hands so we can break them. The service network should have been completed by now and isn't so its clearly affecting deliveries which is the only path Rivian has to profitability.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I do feel like the first couple being delivered to these "service areas" are just going to be resold at a huge gain and moved wherever in the country the other buyer takes it.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Iā€™m ok with this approach, but why not tell us which areas are first instead of leaving us all in this perpetual guessing game? At least Tesla had the courtesy to let their customers know that CA would be first.
True, but in all fairness, I think Tesla only announced the priority for California. After that what we learned was in forums through pouring over and obsessing with spreadsheets with peopleā€™s configurations, locations, order dates, etc... and with numerous theories/conspiracies as to who, where and what was getting priority.
Needless to say, the past weeks here have been quite a start of deja vu for me. Although I hope this time there will be a different result than with my Model 3 wait ā€” thereā€™s a reason I ended up with a Porsche PHEV instead that time.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

On the other hand, Tesla has experienced so many struggles that perhaps Rivian is choosing to learn from Tesla's mistakes and NOT repeat all of them.
My only worry is in the effort to NOT make the same mistakes as Tesla, they go on to make even bigger ones. :headbang:

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Iā€™m ok with this approach, but why not tell us which areas are first instead of leaving us all in this perpetual guessing game?
Since we won't be told, I'll speculate. There would be way less reservations from those states of the least priority, if told prior to ordering, that location counts more than an early reservation.......including me. Fewer reservations might not entice their investors. They'll deal with the fallout later....Silence is a good strategy. It only allows speculation, which can't be proven. Such as my reply. :)Too many years gone by for me to turn back now.

MBuster

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, R1S (waiting for Max Pack)
Occupation
Construction
Since we won't be told, I'll speculate. There would be way less reservations from those states of the least priority, if told prior to ordering, that location counts more than an early reservation.......including me. Fewer reservations might not entice their investors. They'll deal with the fallout later....Silence is a good strategy. It only allows speculation, which can't be proven. Such as my reply. :)Too many years gone by for me to turn back now.
People need to remember that when Rivian started taking order they did not have the billions of investment from their other partner yet and did not have a fully baked plan in place for the roll out. They did not know how many order or from where and no budget to work on making it happen. They cannot tell what they do not know. They probably had some idea that someplace like California would be first as is usual with EV company but not know how or what was next.
I never thought they would take in exact order of reservation to deliver no matter what you want and where you live. Almost all EV when first out go to limited market and those that live in best area for EV get sooner. Sometime this mean service sometime for CARB credit sometime both.
People are also believing that where they live very late in delivery just because no guide talks yet. Too soon to judge on that and many things, so be waiting patiently before complain.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
People need to remember that when Rivian started taking order they did not have the billions of investment from their other partner yet and did not have a fully baked plan in place for the roll out. They did not know how many order or from where and no budget to work on making it happen. They cannot tell what they do not know. They probably had some idea that someplace like California would be first as is usual with EV company but not know how or what was next.
I never thought they would take in exact order of reservation to deliver no matter what you want and where you live. Almost all EV when first out go to limited market and those that live in best area for EV get sooner. Sometime this mean service sometime for CARB credit sometime both.
People are also believing that where they live very late in delivery just because no guide talks yet. Too soon to judge on that and many things, so be waiting patiently before complain.
RJ is that you?! I jest... you do make a solid point here.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
.....They cannot tell what they do not know. They probably had some idea that someplace like California would be first as is usual with EV company but not know how or what was next.

I never thought they would take in exact order of reservation to deliver no matter what you want and where you live. Almost all EV when first out go to limited market and those that live in best area for EV get sooner. Too soon to judge on that and many things, so be waiting patiently before complain.
My congratulations to you and I don't mean it in a sarcastic way. I think it's good you knew that the "order of reservation to deliver" wasn't a priority. I did not know this......at all. I did know there could be up to 3-4 months difference, where some would get theirs ahead of others. It makes sense when delivering to a certain area. You need to have the truck filled and some in that area may have a higher order number than others, but a year's difference, no way.

"They cannot tell what they do not know."
Speculation: I'm thinking they knew, but like now, choosing not to share that information at pre-order, or even now, to keep reservations up.

"Too soon to judge on that and many things, so be waiting patiently before complain."
Perhaps you're right, but 2 yrs. 4 months is long enough for me. :) If you don't mind me asking, what is your pre-order date? Have you been waiting over 2 years? When do you consider waiting patiently is long enough......3,4,5 years? Complaining certainly won't get me anywhere, but it's always nice to vent your frustrations. Most here are good listeners. I consider those that ordered in Nov and Dec 2018 early reservationist. I don't include myself in that group. Those in that group, that haven't been contacted from a guide, are the ones I feel for.
Sponsored