Subaru Ascent

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I don't understand how this might work. A luxury Lincoln on a Rivian platform makes sense, but an Explorer on a Rivian platform? All else being equal, the only appeal might be better service and warranty via Ford's dealer network, but I can't see an Explorer's interior being up to Rivian standards.

From corporate Ford's point of view, however, getting another full EV vehicle into the lineup and onto the market does make business sense. As a consumer, however, would you buy Ford rather than Rivian?

OP
OP

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Definitely Rivian!

zmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I don't understand how this might work. A luxury Lincoln on a Rivian platform makes sense, but an Explorer on a Rivian platform? All else being equal, the only appeal might be better service and warranty via Ford's dealer network, but I can't see an Explorer's interior being up to Rivian standards.

From corporate Ford's point of view, however, getting another full EV vehicle into the lineup and onto the market does make business sense. As a consumer, however, would you buy Ford rather than Rivian?
People might want Ford interior (buttons!) with Rivian tech.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

I believe it’s only the “Skateboard“ that ford would be using. I don’t believe they would have the same interiors.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I’m with Rivian! I think it does make business sense for Ford to add another EV into their lineup, and hopefully will allow more people to get into an electric vehicle.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
WARNING: Completely unfounded speculation

What if the vehicle they are working on together is the rumored crossover/rally car?

Ford has a long rally history to help Rivian, and Rivian has the EV components reasonably ready. It might even be a car that could be shared between the two companies, with Rivian's version being more offroad ready and with their distinct styling, and Ford's being more pavement ready and with Ford interior and exterior styling.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
WARNING: Completely unfounded speculation

What if the vehicle they are working on together is the rumored crossover/rally car?

Ford has a long rally history to help Rivian, and Rivian has the EV components reasonably ready. It might even be a car that could be shared between the two companies, with Rivian's version being more offroad ready and with their distinct styling, and Ford's being more pavement ready and with Ford interior and exterior styling.
I like this theory but like you said, we don't have anything to go off of. It sounds like the partnership was originally intended to result in a Lincoln (basically Ford) branded vehicle. In your scenario it makes me wonder if it would be a Ford or Rivian branded vehicle. We've seen the images of the early blue foam (I think it was foam at least) model. Clearly Rivian is already working on the rally car and likely already has started to think about a production plan. So I think it would odd for Ford to jump in at this point to collaborate with them on it since they seem to just want the skateboard.

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm still holding out hope for Bronco EV.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I'm still holding out hope for Bronco EV.
I don’t think it’s a matter of if I think it’s a matter of when. Who knows, maybe they’ll use the Rivian platform to make a Bronco EV

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I don’t think it’s a matter of if I think it’s a matter of when. Who knows, maybe they’ll use the Rivian platform to make a Bronco EV
Ford has said that Bronco will be a family of vehicles, with more than the current 3 options (2 door, 4 door, and sport) so a Rivian based EV Bronco is not out of the realm of possibilities.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I like this theory but like you said, we don't have anything to go off of. It sounds like the partnership was originally intended to result in a Lincoln (basically Ford) branded vehicle.
It seems that the Lincoln was off the table, so I'm just spit balling about other options.

In your scenario it makes me wonder if it would be a Ford or Rivian branded vehicle.
My suggestion was that (if it was the rally car) there might be 2 versions, a Rivian branded version and a Ford branded version.

So I think it would odd for Ford to jump in at this point to collaborate with them on it since they seem to just want the skateboard.
The whole on again/off again nature of this is somewhat odd. Time will tell.
Sponsored