First Name
Danil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
no car at the moment
Occupation
Consultant
Personally I find 80b a bit high but it seem most EV companies can command a premium right now
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I really believe in the company and want to buy in as soon as I can before the rest of the world realizes how good they are as well. But the fact is they are not established yet not mass producing vehicles yet and Ford 56.5B GM 76.5B and Lucid is currently 41B so how does Rivian sit at 80B that tells me its only going to go down as the beginning growth pains of getting the first models and issues out.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I really believe in the company and want to buy in as soon as I can before the rest of the world realizes how good they are as well. But the fact is they are not established yet not mass producing vehicles yet and Ford 56.5B GM 76.5B and Lucid is currently 41B so how does Rivian sit at 80B that tells me its only going to go down as the beginning growth pains of getting the first models and issues out.
I agree with the value of Ford and GM, never really understood the value they have on Tesla. With Lucid is at 41B, not sure how they would be close to Rivian. The Lucid car has good reviews and great range but way more premium value than Rivian being north of 160K. That is really going to limit the market. Even their entry level is going to be 90K when it is built, same with the SUV, going to be similar price points.

I just do not see the pool of customers for these 2 Lucid vehicles being that large, especially with all of the other competition coming out. I have not seen Lucid talking much about more mass market vehicles.

At least Rivian is talking about the smaller vehicles, their entry level vehicles will be lower priced, they have the commercial van side and possibly making those vans or similar vans for consumers. I think they will have a much higher upside but even with that 80B seems really high for the IPO, not sure how quickly they could grow from their. I'm interested in the IPO but my wait and see how it shakes out after the initial excitement dies down.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I agree with the value of Ford and GM, never really understood the value they have on Tesla. With Lucid is at 41B, not sure how they would be close to Rivian. The Lucid car has good reviews and great range but way more premium value than Rivian being north of 160K. That is really going to limit the market. Even their entry level is going to be 90K when it is built, same with the SUV, going to be similar price points.

I just do not see the pool of customers for these 2 Lucid vehicles being that large, especially with all of the other competition coming out. I have not seen Lucid talking much about more mass market vehicles.

At least Rivian is talking about the smaller vehicles, their entry level vehicles will be lower priced, they have the commercial van side and possibly making those vans or similar vans for consumers. I think they will have a much higher upside but even with that 80B seems really high for the IPO, not sure how quickly they could grow from their. I'm interested in the IPO but my wait and see how it shakes out after the initial excitement dies down.
The selling point on Lucid is the efficiency. If you prove you can build an EV drivetrain (they have custom motors IIRC) that is that efficient and execute well enough to satisfy the luxury audience both from a build quality and a service perspective, then the ability to move down market in price point should be pretty easy.

Starting out with super high end vehicles also has benefits
1. More revenue per vehicle. When you start out the production ramp means that you CAN'T satisfy a large market easily. Pricey vehicles mean you maximize revenue from each car
2. Addressing a more niche market means that you don't have to ramp production as quickly which can really stress the system.

It is the same path Tesla followed.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The selling point on Lucid is the efficiency. If you prove you can build an EV drivetrain (they have custom motors IIRC) that is that efficient and execute well enough to satisfy the luxury audience both from a build quality and a service perspective, then the ability to move down market in price point should be pretty easy.

1. More revenue per vehicle. When you start out the production ramp means that you CAN'T satisfy a large market easily. Pricey vehicles mean you maximize revenue from each car
2. Addressing a more niche market means that you don't have to ramp production as quickly which can really stress the system.

Don’t get me wrong, I see value in Lucid but when all of these companies are out there at a premium price to start, nothing left on the table near term. Have to layout money for the long haul and these days, really hard to see what it will look like in the 3 to 7 year marks. Sometimes seems like I may as well just go play blackjack in Vegas.

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser

The downside to that approach is that most customers purchasing cars in that price point have much higher expectations for fit, finish, etc typically. I suspect Tesla got around this because there weren't alternatives. High-end fit and finish isn't easy for a start-up (or even most Legacy automakers), so I'm curious to see how both Rivian and Lucid do in that department.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I'm pretty much a risk-taker on investments but I'm not too keen on jumping in on day one. Way too many unknowns and a bat$hit crazy valuation. I expect a lot of volatility before it stabilizes. Hell, if the guys who are predicting a crash are right it may plummet regardless.

denyo69

First Name
Danil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
no car at the moment
Occupation
Consultant

I think a great selling point is their Battery. They seem to really have worked out the mileage (520miles on a single charge is amazing: https://wegoelectric.net/its-official-epa-confirms-lucid-air-does-520-miles-on-a-single-charge/)

And wouldn't surprise me if they will keep adding to that one

denyo69

First Name
Danil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
no car at the moment
Occupation
Consultant
I'm pretty much a risk-taker on investments but I'm not too keen on jumping in on day one. Way too many unknowns and a bat$hit crazy valuation. I expect a lot of volatility before it stabilizes. Hell, if the guys who are predicting a crash are right it may plummet regardless.
Yeah personally I wouldn't touch any IPO or Spac at the moment. Wild times in the markets not sure if its worth the risk/ reward

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I think a great selling point is their Battery. They seem to really have worked out the mileage (520miles on a single charge is amazing: https://wegoelectric.net/its-official-epa-confirms-lucid-air-does-520-miles-on-a-single-charge/)

They get that range because of the efficiency. A battery of a given size stores the same amount of energy as a battery from another company at a given size. Energy stored is energy stored. Recharge rates, ability to handle temp ranges, weight, energy density, dimensions etc all are impacted by tech from a given company though.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

That range isn't because of a magically battery technology. It's because they've got a large battery, a very aerodynamic body, and a very efficient set of motors. Their battery is 118 kWh. It's also a >$100k car at the base price for what's available for at least another year.
Sponsored