SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

SuEllyn was just reading a post on the Rivian Group on Facebook. A member of that group just reported that he took delivery of his new R1T at the factory yesterday (03/08/2022). He said that he also got a factory tour and that no pictures were permitted. He goes on to say how much he loves his new truck.

Brian
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yesterday someone here explained that factory delivery was allowed only for those who live within 3 hours of the factory. I can’t remember which thread it was in, but they showed a pic of their friend’s R1T who had picked up at the factory. The tours are a good sign As well!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yesterday someone here explained that factory delivery was allowed only for those who live within 3 hours of the factory. I can’t remember which thread it was in, but they showed a pic of their friend’s R1T who had picked up at the factory. The tours are a good sign As well!
That would include Chicago ?

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
That would include Chicago ?
Most definitely. But honestly, who can pass up someone delivering a car right to your front door. I mean if the plant tour included a performance test on their test track, maybe, I'd be interested.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most definitely. But honestly, who can pass up someone delivering a car right to your front door. I mean if the plant tour included a performance test on their test track, maybe, I'd be interested.
I can’t see why they wouldn’t let someone take delivery at home, then drive their shiny new rivian over to the factory later to have a tour

Sponsored

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I really hope there is a little wiggle room there. Google Maps is telling me I'm a few minutes over three hours away. I would love to do factory pickup (unless they offer tours before delivery and I've already toured the factory).

Jagger027

First Name
Jagan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Palisade
SuEllyn was just reading a post on the Rivian Group on Facebook. A member of that group just reported that he took delivery of his new R1T at the factory yesterday (03/08/2022). He said that he also got a factory tour and that no pictures were permitted. He goes on to say how much he loves his new truck.

Brian
Might be the reason why pre-order holders from STL have been ignored so far ?.. no SC being planned so far and we are just 2.5hrs away from factory, wouldn't mind picking it up from factory

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
If it means I get the car 2 weeks early or something, I'll drive those 2 hours to pick it up. No, I do not care about the factory tour once I have my car :)

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We are 880 miles from Normal, Illinois. I would much rather drive to the Factory to get my truck than have them deliver it to my house. I would take my Airstream up there, get a campground in the area, and pick up my R1T at the Factory.

We would stay a couple of days and tour the small towns in the area in the new Rivian. We would also take the Factory Tour. When we were ready, we would hook the Airstream to the R1T. SuEllyn would drive the Rivian pulling the Airstream as this is SuEllyn's new truck. I would follow in the Silverado and enjoy the view.

This would give us an opportunity to see how the Rivian performs pulling a 7,500# Airstream. We can also see how the range and charging goes on an over the road trip.

Factory Delivery is all plusses for us and no negatives.

Brian

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
We picked up our Tesla in Normal so was hoping I could pick up the Rivian at the factory (about an hour away from us).

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We are 880 miles from Normal, Illinois. I would much rather drive to the Factory to get my truck than have them deliver it to my house. I would take my Airstream up there, get a campground in the area, and pick up my R1T at the Factory.

We would stay a couple of days and tour the small towns in the area in the new Rivian. We would also take the Factory Tour. When we were ready, we would hook the Airstream to the R1T. SuEllyn would drive the Rivian pulling the Airstream as this is SuEllyn's new truck. I would follow in the Silverado and enjoy the view.

This would give us an opportunity to see how the Rivian performs pulling a 7,500# Airstream. We can also see how the range and charging goes on an over the road trip.

Brian
Tell rivian and tell them often.

i squeaky wheel’d my way into driving at Sonoma first mile.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I hope I can still choose factory pickup coming from Detroit. My plan is to drive the Hummer down there pulling a flatbed, and tow the Hummer back on the flatbed with the R1T. It'll be right at the 11,000 lbs limit.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

Brian
Generally, I don't recommend towing with any vehicle for the first 2-3k miles. Or at least first 1,000.
Sponsored