Sponsored

Rivian EVSE and 4 AWG

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

There's a nice cutout in the rear of the EVSE... I don't understand why more people aren't using it!
drywall work required, a lot easier to go in from the bottom
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
drywall work required, a lot easier to go in from the bottom
Pic OP posted shows a LB conduit body. It's unlikely any drywall work would have been required to fish it the extra ~2 feet higher.

Edit: I guess OP has a firebreak in that exact spot. Unfortunate. My point stands, however... I've seen a lot of Rivian EVSE installations with external conduit that appears unnecessary. This case may have been necessary, but I'm sure many of the others were not.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

The odd 30 degree screw terminal orientation on the PCB of that EVSE drives me nuts.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Pic OP posted shows a LB conduit body. It's unlikely any drywall work would have been required to fish it the extra ~2 feet higher.

Edit: I guess OP has a firebreak in that exact spot. Unfortunate. My point stands, however... I've seen a lot of Rivian EVSE installations with external conduit that appears unnecessary. This case may have been necessary, but I'm sure many of the others were not.
This touches on a sometimes overlooked electrical code violation by DIY. For future reference for those doing an install, it's a violation of NEC to install a junction box, condulet, etc. in the wall and cover it up with drywall or other building material. You need to use the appropriate 90 degree fitting if the wall is enclosing the fitting, or install a flush mount junction/pull box. You don't want the inspector (if actually being done, lol) forcing you to rip the wall apart to remedy it if he/she sees a condulet coming in the back of the enclosure. The only exception to this that I am aware of is drop ceilings, as the panels are readily removable. It's generally OK to have boxes/condulets above a drop ceiling.

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible. Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible in accordance with 314.29(A) and (B).

N 314.29(A) In Buildings and Other Structures. Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so the contained wiring can be accessed without removing any part of the building or structure.

N 314.29(B) Underground. Underground boxes and handhole enclosures shall be installed so they are accessible without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This touches on a sometimes overlooked electrical code violation by DIY. For future reference for those doing an install, it's a violation of NEC to install a junction box, condulet, etc. in the wall and cover it up with drywall or other building material. You need to use the appropriate 90 degree fitting if the wall is enclosing the fitting, or install a flush mount junction/pull box. You don't want the inspector (if actually being done, lol) forcing you to rip the wall apart to remedy it if he/she sees a condulet coming in the back of the enclosure. The only exception to this that I am aware of is drop ceilings, as the panels are readily removable. It's generally OK to have boxes/condulets above a drop ceiling.
Yes, fair points. I ran conduit to a 4" box mounted behind my EVSE, then marked and drilled a flat cover and used a chase nipple to transition into the EVSE. The inspector liked it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, fair points. I ran conduit to a 4" box mounted behind my EVSE, then marked and drilled a flat cover and used a chase nipple to transition into the EVSE. The inspector liked it.
That's a great idea, and it actually fits with another implied exception in the code. A permanent light fixture that is being supplied power can cover the junction box. A strict interpretation might be that the light fixture, or in your case the EVSE, violates "without removing any part of the building or structure." If it is a permanent light fixture, is it part of the building? Fortunately, common sense prevails with respect to this!
Sponsored