Sponsored

Rivian employees wanting an R1S/R1T

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
I follow Rivian on Linkedin and everyday I see new feeds from happy new employees that recently joined and are excited to be working there. I wonder how many of them have already lined up and put in their own deposit. From Rivian's standpoint, they can sell these close to the factory, maybe have additional opportunity to track/study these vehicles, etc. I would want one if I worked there. I just wonder from Rivian's standpoint, is it easier to sell to employees than to customers who put in deposits early, but might live in more difficult delivery areas.

Just my two minute time waster post.
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I have been seeing a mass influx of hiring and confirmation of positions in the past 3 weeks. A Operations Manager and a Field Guide in quite a number of locations. From what I have seen they are definitely gearing up!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've heard, previously, that employees were NOT being prioritized in front of pre-existing reservation holders. I hope that is still the case.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm sure there are a few employees that will buy a Rivian. Truth be told, I don't want my truck being built by a bunch of people who can afford $80k+ vehicle!
Remember, all business expenses are passed to the consumer. A certain amount of the purchase price goes to wages. Are we really getting a $70k and having an additional $10k added so that their employees can afford one? I doubt it. Plus, the cynic in me says that ownership will keep the extra profits.
I have a Corvette Z06 and there is a tag with the engine builders name on it. You would think these are the best of the best and surely would be driving one. Wrong, we have contacted her and based on other comments and discussions, she's not buying a $70+ vehicle any time S00N.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Depending on how you define 'build', you're already too late. I guarantee that many people at Rivian are paid enough to afford a Rivian. Rivian is a tech company and most of their employees are tech related. Most tech jobs pay enough to reasonably afford a Rivian with some good money management, even if you're not working from a high-wage jurisdiction, like Irvine.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm sure there are a few employees that will buy a Rivian. Truth be told, I don't want my truck being built by a bunch of people who can afford $80k+ vehicle!
Remember, all business expenses are passed to the consumer. A certain amount of the purchase price goes to wages. Are we really getting a $70k and having an additional $10k added so that their employees can afford one? I doubt it. Plus, the cynic in me says that ownership will keep the extra profits.
I have a Corvette Z06 and there is a tag with the engine builders name on it. You would think these are the best of the best and surely would be driving one. Wrong, we have contacted her and based on other comments and discussions, she's not buying a $70+ vehicle any time S00N.
Auto companies have a lot of employees -- and they're not all factory workers. Rivian is going to have a lot of engineers on the payroll who are certainly in the "can afford an R1" pay range.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That's a shitty sentiment for you to care if someone makes "too much" for your perceived worth of their job.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That's a shitty sentiment for you to care if someone makes "too much" for your perceived worth of their job.
I think employees should be paid what they are worth. Designers and Engineers should be making good money. I hope the communications team is not making enough to purchase a Rivian! :)

What I don't want is an assembly line working making $80k per year if the average wage is $60K. Now I don't know what the wages are or should be, I just don't think everyone is entitled to six-figure salaries.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think employees should be paid what they are worth. Designers and Engineers should be making good money. I hope the communications team is not making enough to purchase a Rivian! :)

What I don't want is an assembly line working making $80k per year if the average wage is $60K. Now I don't know what the wages are or should be, I just don't think everyone is entitled to six-figure salaries.
I sure am glad I don’t work for you. You remind me of a VP at a former company who moved some people from offices to cubicles because he “didn’t want it to go to their heads”.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I sure am glad I don’t work for you. You remind me of a VP at a former company who moved some people from offices to cubicles because he “didn’t want it to go to their heads”.
I am all about taking care of employees. If you take care of them, they will put pride in their work, resulting in a quality product that your customers want to buy. They will pay a premium for that quality and the premium should get reinvested into the employees. That is where success starts, the employees.
If businesses did just that, then nobody would need unions and workers would be happy to be there. in 2021, I just don't see that in the majority of workers. Nobody wants to work low paying jobs, and those that have minimum wage jobs want to be paid supervisor wages to start. It is a vicious cycle that only hurts those who are fighting for a higher wage. As wages increase, the value of the goods also increases. That means the extra hourly money earned will pay for the higher-priced product.

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anecdotal, but for the tech companies I've worked for and those that my friends have worked for, employees were typically the last ones to have an opportunity to purchase a product (with employee pricing). I would've expected employees to have first dibs but it just doesn't work out that way, and I'd imagine Rivian is similar. I bet some of the execs and first employees will have an opportunity to get one (or maybe Rivian will give them test/pre-prod models), but I wouldn't expect most Rivian employees to be able to purchase them with a discount before the supply starts outstripping demand.

It's funny because often by the time products are available for employee purchasing, retailers are offering steeper/equivalent discounts than what employees would get anyway.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anecdotal, but for the tech companies I've worked for and those that my friends have worked for, employees were typically the last ones to have an opportunity to purchase a product (with employee pricing). I would've expected employees to have first dibs but it just doesn't work out that way, and I'd imagine Rivian is similar. I bet some of the execs and first employees will have an opportunity to get one (or maybe Rivian will give them test/pre-prod models), but I wouldn't expect most Rivian employees to be able to purchase them with a discount before the supply starts outstripping demand.

It's funny because often by the time products are available for employee purchasing, retailers are offering steeper/equivalent discounts than what employees would get anyway.
I know GM employee pricing for example, is about 20%

I’m sure as with most manufactured items, employee orders are after initial demand is taken care of.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I know GM employee pricing for example, is about 20%

I’m sure as with most manufactured items, employee orders are after initial demand is taken care of.
There's a story floating around that Rivian has a pretty good incentive for employees to purchase a vehicle.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's a story floating around that Rivian has a pretty good incentive for employees to purchase a vehicle.
That’s standard, every company wants their employees using their products. But you can bet it’s not until after preorders are filled and production is going full swing.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Ladiver,
I disagree. I think the current R1's are a great value and hope that the Rivian plant in Normal is chock-full of R1's. If you feel the price is inflated due to excessive employee salary you are free to forego your purchase. I earn less than 6 figures/ year but just so happen to be responsible with my budget, ok Aside from buying an $80K truck, does this mean I should have to drive a used Toyota Prius? I think a more healthy strategy is let the market decide consumer pricing and employee compensation so we are not subsidizing retail workers supporting families with WIC, low income housing, child care reimbursements, etc. but that is an entirely separate debate. Personally I prefer to buy a product from a company that fairly compensates their employees and love the fact that Rivian is showing many attributes of good corporate citizenship while still delivering value.
Word on the street, as @SeaGeo mentions, is that Rivian is providing a $1000/ month for 24 months incentive to employees who buy an R1. If you feel this too is extravagant compensation Rivian has tons of open positions and you are free to apply.
Sponsored