First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Email: Update on the Tonneau Cover for Your R1T bf1aa65c-23f9-40bf-86d3-fcef2c705fd6
Hi Sam,​
We wanted to follow up with an update on the tonneau cover for your R1T. As we’ve previously communicated, the power tonneau cover is in the process of being redesigned and has been removed from production. As a preorder holder, your R1T has now been reconfigured to include the manual tonneau cover.

You may also choose no tonneau cover. It’s important to note, if you elect to have no tonneau cover, you must remove the manual tonneau cover from your current order in the configurator.

Whether you choose the manual tonneau cover or no tonneau cover, there will be no impact on your delivery date. However, making other changes to your vehicle’s configuration could affect the timing of your vehicle’s delivery. If you have any questions on this update, our team is here to help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement​
Sponsored

OP
OP
stickyfingers

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if we will be able to purchase the powered tonneau when it's redesigned. It'd be a shame if we weren't able to add it as an accessory later.

Has anyone seen what the manual cover looks like?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From the sounds of it there is no way to retrofit the powered tonneau for those who take delivery of a manual or no tonneau truck. Rivian has not said this explicitly (?), but others have received that explanation from CS. So if you really want the power cover I would suggest delaying your delivery until they have a new design ready.

It was also explained that eventually no tonneau trucks will have a different bed design that will not even allow for the manual tonneau to be used.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
I just got the same email. I have reached out to my guide to see what this means. When I talked to my guide on Monday I was told I could just hold off and wait for the PTC. I guess that has changed. Have sent guide a message this morning to see what is going on. no response yet.

OP
OP
stickyfingers

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Well I don't expect my truck to arrive until 2024 anyways given I'm in Toronto, Canada. By 2024 it'll have been a 5 year wait. Hopefully, they can fix this and stop removing elements out of the truck by the time 2024 rolls around.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Well I don't expect my truck to arrive until 2024 anyways given I'm in Toronto, Canada. By 2024 it'll have been a 5 year wait. Hopefully, they can fix this and stop removing elements out of the truck by the time 2024 rolls around.
I think by then they will absolutely have that problem solved. The latest I read was that Rivian wasn’t happy with the vendor solutions so they are now designing the fix in house. That was another forum member who said that yesterday. Who knows🤷🏼‍♂️

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I think it's very likely the powered tonneau cover is not coming back. It's a giant resource suck and the design is fundamentally flawed with too much possibility for dirt and debris to make it inoperable.

I'm glad I have it and mine works ok as long as I lubricate the slates monthly, but I'm not sure Rivian wants to be dealing with these things for years to come. Much better to just bail on it.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think it's very likely the powered tonneau cover is not coming back. It's a giant resource suck and the design is fundamentally flawed with too much possibility for dirt and debris to make it inoperable.

I'm glad I have it and mine works ok as long as I lubricate the slates monthly, but I'm not sure Rivian wants to be dealing with these things for years to come. Much better to just bail on it.
That would be a major thing to just eliminate entirely especially when it’s been proven powered tonneaus are possible with the proper design, I.e. ranger.

Hayden123982

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Honda CRV
Did others who never received a window get this email as well?

I'm not trying to get excited but hoping that this email is a sign that maybe I'll be getting some contact soon despite being apart of the 4% without windows in October

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
That would be a major thing to just eliminate entirely especially when it’s been proven powered tonneaus are possible with the proper design, I.e. ranger.
The rangers use third party roll up designs from Leer and others. Rivian could eliminate them and leave them to the after market to design like Ford does.

Sponsored

canikony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Tesla Model Y Performance
I would be okay if they removed the option but opened up the cavity so we either get more gear tunnel or bed space that was taken up by the PTC.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Response from my guide on PTC whatever it actually means------

Hi Mike,
I am so sorry. I just found out that we removed the Powered tonneau option completely from the R1T build. I believe you should have received an email with this change. Please let me know if you have not.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I don't believe it will be canceled 100% forever, but I also think Rivian's timeline (first half 2023) for deployment is overly optimistic given all the other issues on their plate at this time.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm kinda put off by this. I'm a Max Pack preorder, so 2024 delivery window. Why would they remove the powered tonneau if they still expect it to come back at some point with my delivery being so far out. Maybe this is a good way to assume that pre-March 1 preorders will not be able to add the new powered tonneau when it's finally released and/or it will be much more expensive, much like we have no option for selecting the dual-motor R1 without ditching our cheaper pricing.

BCal55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer

I agree with your take. They've removed the powered cover from the vehicle studio and I think the profit margin they would make on an updated cover even at $3,000 would likely be eaten up by service appointment dealing with powered tonneau cover failures. I would bet that in 6-12 months Rivian will offer customers who currently have a powered cover a refund and manual cover.
Sponsored

Last edited: