First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My guide told me today that *all* trucks right now have tonneau rails so even if you select no tonneau you get rails— which means you can buy the manual panels later once it exists if you’d like… and that makes me wonder if one day the new powered cover will be available for sale— it’s the same rails right? Rivian is not known for consistency so maybe there’s a chance with some expensive service?
No, consistency has not been their friend so far.

Others were told after this tonneau decision was made that eventually they planned to have a different bed with no rails for people who ordered no tonneau. No one knows for sure if that is true or not, but it makes zero sense to me. Why not leave open the possibility for that customer to at least buy the manual cover later if they want? These same people were told there would not be an option to retrofit the powered tonneau, but again who knows?🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
No, consistency has not been their friend so far.

Others were told after this tonneau decision was made that eventually they planned to have a different bed with no rails for people who ordered no tonneau. No one knows for sure if that is true or not, but it makes zero sense to me. Why not leave open the possibility for that customer to at least buy the manual cover later if they want? This same people were told there would not be an option to retrofit the powered tonneau, but again who knows?🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes this is what my guide said as well. But for now everyone gets rails. Rivian is weird. Lol.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Thanks! Arrives today. Do you spray it into the channels, or across the surfaces of the slats, or both?
I spray it along the crack of each slat while it's fully closed. After about 5 minutes I fully retract it, spray the channel on each side, wait 5 minutes and then close it again and it all works pretty smooth.

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

When my vehicle was delivered a couple of weeks ago, I was told that once a redesigned cover was released, it would be installed free of charge.... ?

Sponsored

SCV-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Chevy Colorado, Honda Accord
Occupation
Sales
Yes this is what my guide said as well. But for now everyone gets rails. Rivian is weird. Lol.
And my guide said the exact opposite. I had a VIN, and was going through the eight steps. Then she said it would not have the rails to support any cover, ever. So I had her add the manual tonneau cover back (which they had removed without even checking with me) and now I’m back to square one. No VIN, no delivery estimate, and my steps that I completed have all disappeared.

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
gpellerin,

Would you happen to have rough dimensions of that upper shelf area where the tonneau mechanism lives?

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Went to the Dallas show and tell event yesterday, asked several RivIan staff about the tonneau and got a different answer from each one.

Bottom line is no one knows what the plan is, and any one, rep or guide, who tells you differently is just bullshitting you.

In fact, listening to some of the conversations between reps and reservation holders it seems the BS level is rising. Lots of comments about how wonderful everything is, no responses to questions about any of the issues articulated here in this forum. The kids they’re hiring are no different than car dealer salespeople in terms of product knowledge or utility.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ nice to hear confirmation of what many of us have believed from day one concerning the Guides.

FWIW, it seems like some of the "mechanics" they have at the SC's aren't much better.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Went to the Dallas show and tell event yesterday, asked several RivIan staff about the tonneau and got a different answer from each one.

Bottom line is no one knows what the plan is, and any one, rep or guide, who tells you differently is just bullshitting you.

In fact, listening to some of the conversations between reps and reservation holders it seems the BS level is rising. Lots of comments about how wonderful everything is, no responses to questions about any of the issues articulated here in this forum. The kids they’re hiring are no different than car dealer salespeople in terms of product knowledge or utility.
There seem to be two problems; firstly the people driving high level decisions are doing a terrible job at disseminating that information to other areas and therefore customers, and secondly, many of their front end people come from car dealership world where it’s deny deny deny or make shit up.

Sponsored

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I guess my point with the level of effort is that it is probably going to be costly to have them install a powered Tonneau cover after the fact. I am including two pictures....you can see how the shelf is set up for the cover...which is where I assume the manual one fits as well. I would be that the wiring harness is already in place (comes up the side of the bed) on all trucks. And as you can see in the second picture, the tonneau cover is fully self-contained, including the motor, so it just plugs into the pigtail.

Bed.jpg

cover.jpg
When it rains where does all the water go if retracting wet? (I haven’t read the whole thread in case this was asked already)

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
When it rains where does all the water go if retracting wet? (I haven’t read the whole thread in case this was asked already)
I've got to imagine that a santa cruz style cover could fit there....

Crazy that I'm comparing this 80-90k truck to a hyundai but here we are...

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
^ nice to hear confirmation of what many of us have believed from day one concerning the Guides.

FWIW, it seems like some of the "mechanics" they have at the SC's aren't much better.
Most come from Tesla SCs, so there is that….

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm just confused how they don't have product for the manual cover yet.
My guess is they never intended on producing one, but the powered cover having so many issues forced their hand into having something else available.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My guess is they never intended on producing one, but the powered cover having so many issues forced their hand into having something else available.
It's been an option since day one though. That would be a hell of a bait and switch.
Sponsored