First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
Tesla in-house audio is great! Better than Bose or Bang Olufsen I’ve had in other cars
Tesla "in-house" audio is developed by Harman...who also develops Bang & Olufsen
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Tesla "in-house" audio is developed by Harman...who also develops Bang & Olufsen
Harman makes components at many different price points and performance levels. They pretty much cover the spectrum from crap to incredible.

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
Harman makes components at many different price points and performance levels. They pretty much cover the spectrum from crap to incredible.
Yes, as with any manufacturer, there are numerous levels of product (good/better/best).

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Personally, I find the Meridian system to be a bit lacking and that is due, at least in part, on the drivers being used. However, some dynamic EQ that accounts for equal loudness contours (eg, Fletcher Munson, Robertson Dodson) would be a much welcomed addition and might help address some of the complaints about lack of warmth and low end that seem to be an issue for myself and others. That won't fix the hardware limitations but might make the best of a poor system.
I agree with "somewhat lacking". But are we sure that the Meridian system does not have dynamic eq?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
A good point. Anyone that believes that Rivian is actually going to manufacture a sound system to place in their vehicles is likely going to be surprised.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I agree with "somewhat lacking". But are we sure that the Meridian system does not have dynamic eq?
If it does, it is so subtle as to be imperceptible. I'm pretty sure it does not though since this is usually a user configurable option since everyone's listening preferences are different. It does have dynamic volume but this is altogether different (and is user configurable).

Correction: according to Meridian docs, the Rivian system does have Meridian Perfect Balance aka dynamic EQ.

Last edited:

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
I was excited for the Meridian system, I won't lie, but I found it interesting how polarizing it seemed to be. Some said it was the best ever, and some hated it.
I gave it a good test during my 1st Mile at the end after we were sitting in the parking lot. It seemed to me about as good as the Tesla M3 however it's in a bigger enclosure so there's that. It was an early R1S build, I believe he said xx600 so it would have been Meridian.

Realistically, I don't think audiophile options exist in a car in a lower range than S-class Benz or Rolls/Bentley because there's always going to be more road noise that will take away from the audiophile experience. Even then, it's still in a vehicle and not ideal listening conditions. Short of that, it needs to be clean and have a good sound stage and I do trust that Rivian will get that right.

While I'm not expecting the audio from my reference speakings in my living room, I'm annoyed they took out a driver.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Realistically, I don't think audiophile options exist in a car in a lower range than S-class Benz or Rolls/Bentley because there's always going to be more road noise that will take away from the audiophile experience. Even then, it's still in a vehicle and not ideal listening conditions. Short of that, it needs to be clean and have a good sound stage and I do trust that Rivian will get that right.
Years ago, a local FM radio station had an advertisement for a car stereo/audio dealer. The ad started off with something like "Your car is the ultimate audio listening sound chamber" and went on to sell their high end car stereo upgrades. I always laughed at that commercial, because technically, it's a fair to poor environment for true quality audio listening. You are not centered in the sound chamber so everything is off axis and unbalanced, reflective surfaces everywhere, the sealed environment limits air movement for bass response, temperature extremes degrade speakers over time, etc. For these reasons, I'm not overly concerned about the changes Rivian has made to the sound system.

Q-Dub23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
I'd mostly agree. Our Volvo B&W sound system was absolutely sublime. I would literally spend evenings in the garage just listening to song after song in various genres with my eyes closed.

Tesla's ain't bad, don't get me wrong, but I also think most of the problem is with the rest of the car vs with the speakers themselves. Trying to overcome the echo chamber that is a Model 3 takes a big chunk away from what would otherwise likely be a high-tier sound system.
I have the B&W system in my XC90 and totally agree. It is superb.

I am disappointed in Rivian's move here. Making speakers, mastering digital signal processing and amplification technologies isn't something you can just pickup. There is a reason nearly all high-end vehicles partner with people like B&W, Burmeister, B&O, etc. Tesla is the exception, and to give them credit they have done a really, really nice job for people who don't do that for a living; better the vast majority of systems out there. But I don't expect Rivian to throw the same kind of resources at this. It smells like another cost cutting move for a vehicle that (gulp!) can reach six figures.

Step Brady

First Name
Step
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 TT, Ford Expedition L
I ordered the fantastic Meridian audio system; now I am getting Rivian Elevated System with fewer speakers (cheap China drivers and amp that get renamed). You don't cut out speaker weight (magnet weight) and mid-range drivers and obtain a better sounding system.
Meridian has a very high reputation. Rivian is saving some dollars as they are doing away with Bosch Motors, doing away with loaners for service, doing away with top executives, won't pay Apple for the CarPlay App, and so on. Meridian takes all the material used within the interior, the dimensions, height of the ears and matches the best frequency response; that is why luxury manufacturers go with them (like Range Rover). Not getting what I ordered and not being communicated to, don't like it—putting something in the press two months after you made the change, even worse.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I ordered the fantastic Meridian audio system; now I am getting Rivian Elevated System with fewer speakers (cheap China drivers and amp that get renamed). You don't cut out speaker weight (magnet weight) and mid-range drivers and obtain a better sounding system.
Meridian has a very high reputation. Rivian is saving some dollars as they are doing away with Bosch Motors, doing away with loaners for service, doing away with top executives, won't pay Apple for the CarPlay App, and so on. Meridian takes all the material used within the interior, the dimensions, height of the ears and matches the best frequency response; that is why luxury manufacturers go with them (like Range Rover). Not getting what I ordered and not being communicated to, don't like it—putting something in the press two months after you made the change, even worse.
I would rather they cut cost by removing the camp speaker. Which I am sure will happen at some point.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over this change. I have the, as you say, "fantastic Meridian audio system" in my R1S and I am not at all impressed. It's what I would consider tolerable but far from enjoyable.

Step Brady

First Name
Step
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 TT, Ford Expedition L
I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over this change. I have the, as you say, "fantastic Meridian audio system" in my R1S and I am not at all impressed. It's what I would consider tolerable but far from enjoyable.
So you assume the in-house system is better?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just because Meridian’s name (or any other popular audio gear manufacturer) is on the stereo system does not mean the parts were made in a different place than the “Rivian Elevation” system. Same goes for any of the other branded audio systems.

Apple does not charge any auto manufacturers to use CP.

Making your own motors is one of the top ways Tesla became profitable.

“Top executives” come and go from all companies for all kinds of reasons. Some quit. Some are let go. Crazy, right?

I have not seen anyone here say they were not offered either a rental car, loaner, or Uber credits while their Rivian is being serviced under warranty.

If you don’t feel like your Rivian is worth it anymore, there are plenty of people in line behind you who will happily take your spot.

Or you can just continue yelling at the sky about things you are wrong about or don’t like.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I am an audiophile and I really enjoy the Meridian sound system. Is it the last word in bass response - no, but the sins are of omission rather than commission. Far better than having more bass volume or extension at the price of bloat and lack of articulation. Doing that well with low frequencies is difficult and expensive. Meridian could no doubt do better, but maybe not within the space and cost constraints provided. It’s unlikely that anyone would be able to do a better job with DSP - Meridian have been at the forefront of DSP for audio for many decades, having created apodising filters, MLP, MQA and so on.
Sponsored