Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So nothing
This is all good and great and I’m all for bringing costs down as a shareholder and this could end up resulting in a better overall user….where the 🤬🤬🤬 is the redesigned tonneau cover???
S00N

Sponsored

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
The audio in our R1T is so much better than the “upgraded Bang & Olyfsen” Lux audio system in our Bronco Raptor. Some of it is definitely the fact that the truck is that much quieter, but it’s also just better, with more clarity and depth.

Just don’t try to listen to it with the windows open, as dynamically it’s a bit weak.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

FWIW Here are the specs for the Meridian version of the system.

Two things.

First, I always thought maybe there were speakers embedded in the head rests. counting it up, it would seem to confirm this?

Second, It counts out to 18 speakers in the T but lists 19 in the overview. Similarly with the S, listing 20 but containing 22.

The change makes sense for Rivians long term vision and gains. Vertical integration has been one of Tesla's keys to success, and something legacy makers are just begining to realize as critical. Meridians system could well have just been a gap measure to get them through the initial ramp of production while Rivian got their system up to speed, or should I say "more finely tuned."

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Elevation audio system - in house design change began February 2023? 1679347177055

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Elevation audio system - in house design change began February 2023? 1679347209654

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

This is all good and great and I’m all for bringing costs down as a shareholder and this could end up resulting in a better overall user….where the 🤬🤬🤬 is the redesigned tonneau cover???
seriously. how long does it take to design a manual tonneau. but then again they probably have such severe PTSD from the powered tonneau that they are overthinking the manual one.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Is Brembo next on the hit list?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Strange. Based on when this was trademarked, it would seem this was something they planned on doing for a while.
1679339662849.png
This makes sense for the Explore trim as they need to strip out $5000 of cost to make that work.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Vertical integration. They found a cheaper supplier of components, or figured out a new model with Meridian that removes their logo (resulting a cheaper supplier).

They’ve also stated that they want to control the experience top to bottom. To bring it in house doesn’t surprise me, with that goal in mind. It removes a key downstream dependency on a supplier of a highly-visible (and audible!) component of the truck.
Exactly this.

No biggie for those of us with the Meridian system - in fact we've probably got a 'better' system because I trust the maker of speakers with speakers more than I trust the maker of trucks with speakers.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
First they came for the 12V in the frunk, and I did not speak out—because I did not use the 12V in the frunk.

Then they came for the back of seat wood trim, and I did not speak out—because I did not look at the back of seat wood trim.

Then they came for the front 12V, and I did not speak out—because I did not use the front 12V.

Then they came for the Meridian sound system and I did not speak out—because I did need extra rare earth metals.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ you know... that same theme came to mind. I guess Rivian is counting on complacency as well.

I bet they can save a ton of $$$ by ditching the Pirelli's for some garbage Chinese private label tires too. We already know who they use for the super high quality glass :rolleyes:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
FWIW Here are the specs for the Meridian version of the system.

Two things.

First, I always thought maybe there were speakers embedded in the head rests. counting it up, it would seem to confirm this?

Second, It counts out to 18 speakers in the T but lists 19 in the overview. Similarly with the S, listing 20 but containing 22.

The change makes sense for Rivians long term vision and gains. Vertical integration has been one of Tesla's keys to success, and something legacy makers are just begining to realize as critical. Meridians system could well have just been a gap measure to get them through the initial ramp of production while Rivian got their system up to speed, or should I say "more finely tuned."

1679347177055.png

1679347209654.png
Speakers number 6 are the ones in the headliner

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Lol... a recent post just reminded me.. .the temperamental "re-imagined" HVAC system (that only blows hot air when it's set above 71deg no matter how cold it is outside) was also designed "in house" :eek:

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Lol... a recent post just reminded me.. .the temperamental "re-imagined" HVAC system (that only blows hot air when it's set above 71deg no matter how cold it is outside) was also designed "in house" :eek:
Are you sure about that?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT