Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Given the article above references this very thread as proof that owners are up in arms… it doesn’t really add anything to the conversation in this thread… which it references. “Based on the reactions shared in the forum, ...”

We all have our own priorities. For everyone out there who values a Meridian-branded sound system in their Rivian above all else, then this is clearly a sign that this vehicle is no longer a good match unless they buy one manufactured before the change. For those folks, losing a couple speakers from the second row is a really big deal. That’s totally fair!

If you think you‘re going to cause a mass defection of customers leading Rivian to see their ways, I predict that isn’t going to happen. For many of us, only family, friends, coworkers, and other passengers will ever hear whatever difference there is because we owners sit in the front seats. For me, people behind the first row would never know because when I have passengers in the car I play music at a low/background level so we can, you know, talk.
I occasionally like listening to music loudly by myself but the volume is essentially never loud enough to not talk over if I have other people in the car. And frequently the radio is even off at those times. Could it be better than it is? I don't doubt that for a second. I just don't think having a perfect sound stage is that important in a vehicle that has to deal with all the noises of being a vehicle.
Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
This is total BS, Apple Car play and Android Auto have nothing to do with sophistication or license fees. Both of these applications want full control of the display; there is no screen sharing or commingling with other applications and dont integrate well with the native systems. Its an all or nothing approach. I've had my truck for 9 months and dont miss either (and it was one of my reservations early on).
Our Bronco Android Auto shares the screen with native applications or goes full screen if wanted??????

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I occasionally like listening to music loudly by myself but the volume is essentially never loud enough to not talk over if I have other people in the car. And frequently the radio is even off at those times. Could it be better than it is? I don't doubt that for a second. I just don't think having a perfect sound stage is that important in a vehicle that has to deal with all the noises of being a vehicle.
Right. When I’m in the car by myself with music at a higher volume I doubt the rear door speakers (or lack thereof) will make a huge difference to me when I’m sitting in the driver’s seat. When others are in the car I keep the volume lower. Given the way I use a stereo this is an objective downgrade which will make little or no subjective difference to me.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If you knew about audio, you don't do human head-to-head testing anymore, gone for about ten years now, a computer can measure frequencies (though they cost about $30-$40K) which high-end companies use to tune the system to the materials used in the vehicle. You're not going to remove speakers (mid-range), go with lesser weight magnets, and have somebody in the house say, "ya, that sounds better" and have any conclusion.
A Meridian system would cost you about $2000 if added to the vehicle over a base system. Range Rover and Jaguar don't choose to reduce the cost of their vehicles. Cost cutting move, too bad., more will come as theu stated in their February 28th conference call.
Meridian isn't making the system, they already blanked out their press release when the two joined two years ago. Rivian just crapped on Meridian by saying their in house system sounded better, yet is cheaper with less speakers.
Whew, your one big fanboy, going to get a wake up call on a company cutting cost as quick as they can.
Will you please pick a lane?

You go back and forth between whining about cost cutting and complaining about them not spending money on certain things (”not paying Apple for CarPlay” :CWL: ) so often it’s giving me whiplash. WTF do you want? Rivian to save money and become profitable or for them to overpay to have Meridian on the speaker covers?

You literally have NO IDEA who is making the Rivian components. Stop pretending you do.

You posted a video of Elon Musk earlier - the king of cost cutting. Tesla does not use a branded stereo system and the majority of people like the way it sounds. ALL that matters to the consumer is how it sounds. Despite all of your ranting about testing and equipment and blah blah blah, if PEOPLE like the way the new system sounds, it won’t matter.

You seem like a very confused individual and again I encourage you to cancel your order. There is no auto manufacturer on planet earth good enough to make you happy. Unless of course you want to take delivery of your Rivian so you have even more to whine about each day? Like how the suspension is over engineered and expensive but the tires are too cheap? I can’t wait to read your posts about these and the many of life’s other contradictions🙄

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Both of these applications want full control of the display; there is no screen sharing or commingling with other applications and dont integrate well with the native systems. Its an all or nothing approach.
This is no longer true. Multiple manufacturers now do windowed screen projection which permits key native functions to remain on screen while AA or CP are active. I experienced this recently in a Chrysler Pacifica rental when our Land Rover was in the shop. Retaining key native controls while showing screen projection is a great compromise, in my experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Right. When I’m in the car by myself with music at a higher volume I doubt the rear door speakers (or lack thereof) will make a huge difference to me when I’m sitting in the driver’s seat. When others are in the car I keep the volume lower. Given the way I use a stereo this is an objective downgrade which will make little or no subjective difference to me.
People who are true audiophiles typically gut whatever stereo system the car comes with since it's never going to meet their standards anyway, unless it's a system that adds significant cost that most buyers wouldn't think about spending.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
And you're the majority? The software by Rivian must be written and installed to run Apple Car Play, which is a cost Rivian avoids, and every post and thread states that it's poor not to have on an $80-$100K vehicle. It does not take. all of the OEM display, just a window, go look at some cars and trucks. Ford, GM, Stellaris all have it. Porsche,Aud, aand BMW all have it. Hyundai, Kia have it. Lexus , Toyota have it.
Rivian is not in an additional feature mode with their vehicles or business; they are laying off employees, cutting features, cutting senior executives, issuing bonds, and trying to move dirt in Georgia with little money left to just the next six quarters. The new plant cost $5 Billion; they only have $12 Billion left, yet are burning through $2 billion a quarter, do the math young fellow, no profit is not going to last in this economy, Wall Street is and no shares are selling! No insiders are buying.
We get it! They aren’t spending enough but they’re spending too much :CWL:

Step Brady

First Name
Step
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 TT, Ford Expedition L
Thank you but that added nothing that we didn’t already know? A blog reporting that people are “up in arms” on a forum is not exactly newsworthy. Show me a forum where people aren’t up in arms about something.

Until we have enough of the new systems out there that people can share their feedback and hopefully do a full head to head comparison, we just don’t know there will be much of a difference in the way it sounds to human ears. And as the blog post you linked to said, we still don’t know if the new system might still be made by Meridian just without the branding.

Dude, your number SEVEN in most messages posted on the whole forum, get a life, you're not in a cult! Plus you have nearly a year wait? WTF? Make the pilgrimage to Bloomington Normal and drink the kook-aid.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Dude, your number SEVEN in most messages posted on the whole forum, get a life, you're not in a cult! Plus you have nearly a year wait? WTF? Make the pilgrimage to Bloomington Normal and drink the kook-aid.
This post fits a pattern for you that is extremely obvious in your short time here:

1. Post a word salad of uninformed opinions that contradict each other.
  2. Get called out on your word salad.
  3. Post something completely unrelated or irrelevant to the topics you brought up in the word salad.
  4. Get called out on your confusing behavior.
  5. Post word salad of insults not related to any of the above topics.
Why are you keeping your Rivian reservation? If you believe even 1/10 of the BS you have posted in this thread you would be the biggest hypocrite on the planet if you take delivery.

I have a full life. Part of it is spent here interacting with fascinating characters like yourself. Thanks for your concern though:giggle:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Some bunch of whiners here, who are probably whiners in real life. Problems are never their faults, but someone else’s, right? JFC 🙄

Sponsored

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
I just don’t understand why someone with such a LONG list of complaints about a company would even consider buying anything from them?

This person is whining about everything from the executives’ hobbies to the brand of toilet paper the factory uses and they are still planning on taking delivery of one of their vehicles?

They should go deal with one of the many auto companies that communicate perfectly, never change their vehicles and pricing and policies after an order is placed, and has no turnover…. Oh wait🤔
Agree!! I think he might have an underlying agenda because his points don’t stack up or are simply false (as you pointed out).

I hope the folks at Rivian don’t read these types of comments and get discouraged.

They have built everyday - affordable - supercars, and by all accounts people are impressed with communication and service centre experiences (forums are full of people with praise for them).

And let’s compare them to the EV market leader - Tesla is constantly removing and changing elements of their vehicles without explanation or communication (e.g., dropping sensors, changing battery chemistry to LFP with important performance implications).

I think there is always room for constructive feedback, but the Karens need to be ignored.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Agree!! I think he might have an underlying agenda because his points don’t stack up or are simply false (as you pointed out).

I hope the folks at Rivian don’t read these types of comments and get discouraged.

They have built everyday - affordable - supercars, and by all accounts people are impressed with communication and service centre experiences (forums are full of people with praise for them).

And let’s compare them to the EV market leader - Tesla is constantly removing and changing elements of their vehicles without explanation or communication (e.g., dropping sensors, changing battery chemistry to LFP with important performance implications).

I think there is always room for constructive feedback, but the Karens need to be ignored.
I’m sure they follow with a similar “Forum BS” filter I use.

Without that I would have never been able to make my purchase.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I completely understand the frustration some have with the removal of the Meridian branding/components. You buy a very expensive vehicle, you have some expectation that there is an association for the audio system with a company with expertise in speakers, amplification, and DSP.

Tesla is the only other luxury auto maker with vehicles in the 6 figures (that I am aware of) with no brand association with their audio system - but it sounds excellent and after the branding buzz wears off, the audio quality and enjoyment when listening to the system is all that matters.

Last edited:

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Puts and takes along the way that's all I can continue to say. As an early adopter we will miss out on certain updates too (rumor: larger air compressor for the suspension). Not everything is going to be cost cutting...

Ultimately, I haven't even had much time to mess around with the audio...I still can't get over having 835HP under my foot with nearly instant torque.

Screw the speakers...people will continue buying these vehicles because they are outright fun to drive.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
16 messages yet you joined in 2022...must be a window shopper.........
Sponsored