Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Maybe E-BIKE is Rivian secret code for something much cooler. One can hope.
Sponsored

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 šŸ¤ž
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...staff-ev-maker-is-developing-an-electric-bike

Rivian Automotive Inc. is developing an electric bike, the chief executive officer told staff, potentially expanding the EV makerā€™s product lineup.

RJ Scaringe disclosed the e-bike effort Friday at a companywide meeting, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified discussing private information. A small group of engineers is actively working on it, he said.

Rivian representatives declined to comment.

It wasnā€™t immediately clear if Scaringe was referring to a battery-electric motorcycle or bicycle. The company has patents for electric bicycle components and designs. The CEO hinted at the possibility of an e-bike at a conference in October, saying that the company had long-term ambitions to move into micromobility, but he hadnā€™t disclosed work on an actual product before Fridayā€™s staff meeting.

The potential lineup expansion comes despite a broad push to cut costs across the company. Rivian earlier this week told workers it would be cut headcount by 6%, the second significant workforce reduction in the last 12 months.

Scaringe told staff at the meeting that the cuts were made to refocus on ramping production of its electric vehicles and, longer-term, profitability, according to the people. He said the company had tried to do too much at one time, they said.
Can we just get the tonneau covers first please šŸ™

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wonder if they're going to ship them with NACS ports.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I'm interested as long as it comes with a kitchen that fits in my gear tunnel that I already ordered...

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I wonder if they will be E-Mountain bikes or will be more like the e-bikes all the kids in my town are riding.

If they are the latter, they will be cool for commuting around town for groceries and errands.

Sponsored

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

Total waste of time if this is bicycles. This market is completely saturated. Presumably -- to fit the Rivian ethos -- they'll try the MTB space. But all of the high end MTB makers are already making fantastic eMTBs, and people who buy those would view a Rivian bike as a gimmick.
Agreed. This sounds like a pet project. Like other have said, RJ and team really need to focus on existing issues.

Makes me think of the Cyberquad. LOL

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian E-Bike is Coming. RJ Tells Staff Electric Bike in Development IMG_4691

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
My 2c: It is a small project that is precisely on brand. Rivian's longer-term survival depends upon solidifying and enhancing its "Adventure" branding. Yes, it cannot be allowed to pull resources from production or quality control or service, but it is a valuable way to enhance the brand. Just like the Camp Kitchen is a low-volume, financially irrelevant distraction, it is nonetheless a key to enhancing the vehicle positioning.
Sponsored