Sponsored

Rivian Driver+ vs. Ford BlueCruise -- my experience vs Out of Spec Kyle's

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Driver+ has a LOOOOOONG way to go to be practical. I really wish they would have developed a system similar to Tesla's first version of AutoPilot. Where it simply uses its cameras to see the lanes and maintains itself within the lanes. Then, can work on the mapping separately to offer a more hands free experience when it's developed enough. As of now, there's no hands free option, as there is with BlueCruise or SuperCruise in GM vehicles. Appears the mapped roads are quite limited. As already noted above, doesn't work in places it previously worked on a regular basis. Disconnects for every lane change. Forces you to manually disconnect when it things you're going through a tunnel (large overpass). I find that I rarely use it as it's almost more work using it than just driving myself.

The point of mapping roads for GM and Ford is to offer handsfree driving. We don't get that with Rivian. Tesla drives based on what it sees and doesn't require mapped roads. It doesn't have a hands free option, but at least works just about everywhere. With Tesla or GM/Ford, you get an added benefit of each system. With Rivian, we get neither benefit.

I too am rooting for Rivian to develop it to be at least on par with one of those systems. But as of now, it ranks at the bottom of the list. Doesn't sound like Rivian is investing all that much time into developing the system at this time as they have bigger things to focus on, so it will likely be a while before we see any significant improvement.
Sponsored

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
As already noted above, doesn't work in places it previously worked on a regular basis.
Does it still do this for you? This was addressed in a software update a couple months ago. It happened to me early on, but it’s been a lot more reliable recently.

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
First road trip user, 2 cents addition:

Absolutely should at the very minimum, when engaged, maintain auto-cruise control
when you take over to switch lanes.

I hate that it turns off both when I push past the lane barrier. Then have to reengage both.

The whole point of maintaining speed generally necessitates switching lanes around slow drivers who refuse to yield or change lanes.

My first long trip I ended up just using only auto-cruise control and steering around slower folks.

Also - The auto cruise “closest” setting, while understandable from a legal/“we don’t condone aggressive driving” is Entirely too far away. I HATE leaving enough space for passers to take over. There should be a setting for “barely over a carlength if there’s someone next to me, but kewl to leave more space if noone is “threatening” my position.”

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Does it still do this for you? This was addressed in a software update a couple months ago. It happened to me early on, but it’s been a lot more reliable recently.
Yes, it appears to be connected when in use. So my guess is that there are sometimes, connection issues. Possibly on the server end? Purely a guess. Tried to use it on the 101 freeway, where it works almost all the time, but the other day, it didn't. Later the same day, it did work traveling over the same path where it didn't work earlier in the day.

Really just wish they would do a simple lane keep assist version (that could rely just on its vision through the cameras), in addition to their vision for Driver+ which "eventually" will be far more advanced. Sometimes the simplest version is the best. Through 9 years of Tesla ownership, while I appreciated the advancements they made with "auto pilot", I always found the basic original version of AP1 most useful in every day situations.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
First road trip user, 2 cents addition:

Absolutely should at the very minimum, when engaged, maintain auto-cruise control
when you take over to switch lanes.

I hate that it turns off both when I push past the lane barrier. Then have to reengage both.

The whole point of maintaining speed generally necessitates switching lanes around slow drivers who refuse to yield or change lanes.
Must be a new behavior. I routinely change lanes and HA drops to ACC by itself, maintaining speed. Then I can re-engage HA without ever touching the go pedal.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
I have high hopes for Driver+ because, unlike the big OEM's, Rivian can keep updating previous model year cars with new software (like tesla) where I can almost guarantee the Mach-E and Lightning previous year models will be abandoned very quickly.
Sponsored