Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The reality is that they:
a) continually miscommunicate or lack communication at all levels
b) move the goal posts and/or are deceptive in their communication (a CFO getting their truck is not something most companies would call a public event)
c) repeatedly adjust their already adjusted communication
d) consistently miss their adjusted-adjusted-adjusted goals

I don't know how hard this is, but I work in a complex business myself and manage public launches that reach nearly one billion people a month. Everyone knows that you set expectations that you can exceed, especially when you've failed multiple times. IMO, they should have pushed the delivery start date back to January in June and surprised us all when a non-employee got theirs in November or December. We would be so excited. Of course, they would have had to delay their $80b value IPO which might have been too big of a pill to swallow.

I admire your loyalty and I'm happy that they are progressing, but I don't think they get a free pass on this or they won't improve. At the very least, the feedback will hopefully cause them to improve in the future. I believe it's 4 weeks until all pre-holders are contacted - let's see if they hit that...
I'm confident they most likely won't hit it (for all intents and purposes). I think it's also quite possible/likely that they send a mass email of initial contact but nothing of substance. I'm also of the mindset that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (what's another few months at this point) but that it will be debated here heatedly to no end and with no resolution or benefit.
Sponsored

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Rivian filed Amendment No. 1 to the S-1 on October 22.

https://sec.report/Document/0001193125-21-305592/d157488ds1a.htm

Don't know how much new information has been included, but I did find this interesting tidbit in page 1 (Prospectus Summary):

As of September 30, 2021, we produced 12 R1Ts and delivered 11 R1Ts, and as of October 22, 2021, we produced 56 R1Ts and delivered 42 R1Ts.

Clearly they're taking their time with production, and given they've delivered so few vehicles it isn't surprising that they are mostly (or exclusively) going to employees.

Let us know if you find any other interesting new details!
That is all?

I am a little disappointed.

Going to take a while to get to the poor customer that is #9000 on the waiting list....

And, honestly, producing and delivering 10,000 vehicles shouldn't take close to a year.....

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
That is all?

I am a little disappointed.

Going to take a while to get to the poor customer that is #9000 on the waiting list....

And, honestly, producing and delivering 10,000 vehicles shouldn't take close to a year.....

Based off what? A start up during unprecedented times (pandemic and supply chain). Media/competitors who want to destroy them. Incredible detailed access to reviews via social media. They have ONE chance to nail this or the 80B is down the drain and they're just an amazon builder. This stuff takes time, and will ramp up exponentially. When I placed my deposit last year I thought I'd have it by now. I really want t but not if its going to be shoddy like Tesla. Quality takes time. They are producing vehicles and they are good. I dont want a $80000 paperweight

DTM

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17Bolt, '14 Porsche Cayenne, '04 Dodge {Cummins}
Occupation
Retired.
I think many of us are very anxious to have our trucks in hand. Since the L.A. Auto Show of 2018 & placing a pre-order I have been ready to pare out my ICE vehicles for daily & long range driving in our R1T. The wait has been excruciating, especially when adding in the Covid pandemic extensions. We got our Bolt early on & have somewhat paid a price but, Unless there is some other consideration I always use the EV. After five years of EV driving I have learned a few things. The 315mile range is realistically 80% of that (to maintain battery life) & pulling a trailer will reduce it further. I am just anxiously awaiting so I can drive the western deserts without limitations of always looking for a charging station that works.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I know they really don't want to disclose time frames until they are 100% certain that they can deliver. But as an early pre-order (2018) with a max pack. I would like a ball park time frame. For example if it was going to be spring time I would hold off and continue to one car it with my wife. If it is going to be second half of next year or beyond I would get a hold over vehicle.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious - your personal experience in the automobile manufacturing startup arena to support this statement is........?

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Yeah, I think you should, like, cancel your R1S. In fact, everybody in line ahead of me should immediately cancel your orders for your R1Ss.

(Hey, you can't blame me for trying. :) )
LOL, you might get your wish come April/May. I need my vehicle by Summer, latest Fall.
Which seems highly unlikely right now.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
From what I remember, Marklivia said they were "planning" on, and "sprinting to". The current goal is "Spring 2022". They are trying to aim for end of CY2021. Never a bad thing to attempt to beat your goal.

If people are reading "planning" and "sprinting" and translating that into "said they would deliver by", that's just a failure of reading comprehension. Both of those terms express a level of doubt.

Once again, bringing in the Scotty reference, tell them it will take 2x as long, deliver in half the time, and look great.

I guess other people want to fall into the Yoda camp, "Do or do not. There is no try"
Can't stop chuckling over "Marklivia".....

Sponsored

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I'm pretty sure the debate continues and it is unlikely anybody will "win".
Then why inject yourself into it?

My definition of delivery, in which a vehicle left the plant, was delivered to a paying customer, and will get titled/registered by that customer (and not a MFG plate) is shared by...... Basically everyone from Wall Street, to lawyers, the DMV, car manufacturers, etc probably happens to be correct.

Everyone here is getting all up in arms over semantics..."yea, but, but, but, ThEy'Re EmPlOyEes". So, are people in here throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their truck? Do they feel the employees don't deserve first crack? Do they feel so entitled as to change the very definition of words, just to be "right"? (It's the last one, because this is the internet.)

The facts are, people paid for trucks, they took delivery of trucks, most of the people throwing fits about the definition of "delivered" didn't get a truck, yet.

Did I "win"? No. I was always correct. It was never a competition. It was a few people holding their breath and stomping their feet because they don't have a truck yet.

I hope everyone gets theirs, but redefining what constitutes a delivery seems a bit childish.

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
“Prototype production is easy, but high-volume production is hard,” Elon Musk

Those buying the Rivian IPO need to be wary of buying "vaporware."
Haha I hate this so much. Yes it's hard, but Elon is just being a troll. He also said they should deliver one truck per billion the raise so... already done?

Listen. It's hard. The ramp is slow is assure quality. The trucks are on their way. We are FAR from vaporware. The CT is vaporware at this point if that's your scale.

We still don't know how many people were promised a truck by EoNov (hi I'm one of them) so let's just see what happens. Just ~35 days to go to see who's right ?

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
The reality is that they:
a) continually miscommunicate or lack communication at all levels
b) move the goal posts and/or are deceptive in their communication (a CFO getting their truck is not something most companies would call a public event)
c) repeatedly adjust their already adjusted communication
d) consistently miss their adjusted-adjusted-adjusted goals

I don't know how hard this is, but I work in a complex business myself and manage public launches that reach nearly one billion people a month. Everyone knows that you set expectations that you can exceed, especially when you've failed multiple times. IMO, they should have pushed the delivery start date back to January in June and surprised us all when a non-employee got theirs in November or December. We would be so excited. Of course, they would have had to delay their $80b value IPO which might have been too big of a pill to swallow.

I admire your loyalty and I'm happy that they are progressing, but I don't think they get a free pass on this or they won't improve. At the very least, the feedback will hopefully cause them to improve in the future. I believe it's 4 weeks until all pre-holders are contacted - let's see if they hit that...
Well… that sounds like Tesla (a,b,c,d) ! And Elon must have a free pass as TSLA is almost a trillion $ Company now.

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
Context; April 2021, Rivian is quoted in Chicago Tribune saying they are capable of building about 1 vehicle per day.

From April 16 2021 - October 25th 2021; Rivian has been able to increase production from about 1 vehicle per day, to 2 vehicles per day.

This is inline with my expectations, and I still believe I will receive my R1S in Q2-Q3 2024.

2022 is going to be a tough year for us all.

On a personal note, I feel (slightly) vindicated. Everyone on this forum thought I was a pessimist, anti-Rivian troll. All I'm trying to do is be real, and have realistic expectations.

We haven't even seen the issues and new-delays, yet. There are countless issues that could slow this even further.