Rivian R1S
Clubs

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I legitimately do not understand why this is the criteria for a delivery to "count." A delivery is a delivery regardless of whether the person taking delivery is going to be critical or not.
While I am OKAY and actually optimistic for the quality of the vehicles with the way they are rolling out I would disagree that they still "count" as final production deliveries to customers.

Coming from manufacturing of high end equipment, we never delivered final production to our employees, owners, or shareholders first.
IF we sold anything then they were pre-production because final production was not ready and it gave the opportunity to work out the final bugs internally and "keep things close".
The difference is that we did not "launch" our products to the public (but not really) THEN do the final bug testing with employees as we are seeing right now and consider them deliveries.

I actually think this is the best thing they can do, otherwise they could have a service/support mess, it's just unfortunate that they couldn't be doing it months ago in the "dark" so we didn't have to have this discussion.

Again, I want Rivian to get it right and I am happy to see them doing this, but let's not kid ourselves that any of the customer deliveries in the past month have been anything but lip-service because of the many delays that have occurred and the upcoming IPO.

They ARE moving and that is what "counts"!

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
It's ony disappointing because you have set your own expectations which in hindsight were not realistic. Rivian committed to starting deliveries in September but never specified any production counts, and everyone has been discussing for months that employees would likely get the first deliveries. Just as Rivian is offering order holders pre-IPO stock, Rivian almost certainly opened pre-ordering of vehicles to employees before the general public. They were in line before us. Why shouldn't they get their vehicles first?

From a manufacturing, financial, business and legal viewpoint, Rivian vehicles are being delivered to customers. They are paying for the vehicles and registering them in multiple states. Rivian is receiving income from the sale. And I'm pretty sure the Rivian employees who have taken delivery consider themselves customers as well, especially when they make the car payment each month.

Because they may not openly criticize the product does not in any way disqualify them as being a customer.
A quick reminder: deliveries were starting in January, then June, then July, then September. As little as two weeks ago, we have Rivian saying all launch editions will be delivered by the end of the year.

I agree that it’s about expectations, but Rivian is the one anchoring those expectations. I guess will see if they deliver them all in the next 60 days, but at some point we should all question their ability to execute and/or their ability to communicate.

By the way, from a legal and financial standpoint, you would disclose these as related party transactions and they would be bucketed differently. Typically, in a valuation of a company, for example, the revenue from related parties transactions is excluded.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I thought VIN numbers were sequential. View attachment 10892
Speaking from experience, depending on the manufacturer, some of them didn't mind "losing" VINs in early stages of production to products that were manufactured incorrectly and pulled off the line to be destroyed. I would think that's what has happened here and would certainly help explain their low numbers. An unsalable vehicle wouldn't be included in production numbers.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Speaking from experience, depending on the manufacturer, some of them didn't mind "losing" VINs in early stages of production to products that were manufactured incorrectly and pulled off the line to be destroyed. I would think that's what has happened here and would certainly help explain their low numbers. An unsalable vehicle wouldn't be included in production numbers.
It's also quite possible certain vehicles are simply sitting waiting for components to be completed. So yes, unsalable, but won't be shortly but supply chains are a mess.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As little as two weeks ago, we have Rivian saying all launch editions will be delivered by the end of the year.
On May 27, 2021 I received an email from Rivian with a link to a Story on their website that says:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian discloses 56 R1T produced and 42 R1T delivered as of October 22, 2021 1635175758387

So we've known for months that LE deliveries will not be completed by end of this year.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I think it's reasonable they can double production every month for the first six months or so:

Oct 2021: 50
Nov 2021: 100; 150 total
Dec 2021: 200; 350 total
Jan 2022: 400; 750 total
Feb 2022: 800; 1,550 total
Mar 2022: 1,600; 3,150 total
Apr 2022: 3,200; 6,350 total
May 2022: 6,400; 9,750 total

Anyways, they'll get there and 10,000 delivered R1Ts isn't really that far off.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
While I am OKAY and actually optimistic for the quality of the vehicles with the way they are rolling out I would disagree that they still "count" as final production deliveries to customers.

Coming from manufacturing of high end equipment, we never delivered final production to our employees, owners, or shareholders first.
IF we sold anything then they were pre-production because final production was not ready and it gave the opportunity to work out the final bugs internally and "keep things close".
The difference is that we did not "launch" our products to the public (but not really) THEN do the final bug testing with employees as we are seeing right now and consider them deliveries.
They ARE moving and that is what "counts"!
THIS. For me the question is not "What relationship does the customer have with Rivian?" but "Would Rivian deliver this truck to any member of the general public who walked in off the street and wrote a check for the vehicle?"*

If these are production-ready but they are just working out the kinks in mass-production, then I'm happy. But if these are still really-close-to-final-but-still-pre-production, then that is a bit more worrisome.

*I'm of course ignoring the order backlog here.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I was ridiculed in other threads for being adamant that deliveries had taken place, because the pessimists don't think employee purchases count.

I guess they count.

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

An average of 2/day is not as informative as one might think. It does not include days of 0 production or days where more than 2 were produced. However, the total number speaks for itself. Disappointing but better than “0”.

So let the speculation, theorizing, and making shit up resume!!

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Personally, even though I'm disappointed with the progress and zero information about R1S. In reality prefer well built vehicles rather than inferior product to meet the deadlines.

Rivian will be a public company s00n and they have to answer shareholders. So we can expect decent ramp up. My guess they are moving very carefully to avoid any negative feedback from customers about quality/fit and finish after deliveries to non employees/insiders.

Last edited:

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
I am concerned about using the same line for R1S. They possibly have to ramp up on that again for the SUV. Or maybe they simply delay R1S and focus on delivering as much in first couple of quarters. For IPO, first 2-3 quarters are very crucial.
Seriously doubt they will delay R1S.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was ridiculed in other threads for being adamant that deliveries had taken place, because the pessimists don't think employee purchases count.

I guess they count.
Curious where you feel "validated" in your initial assessment based on this thread?
I'm pretty sure the debate continues and it is unlikely anybody will "win".

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs