Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Disappointing but that explains why only employees have gotten deliveries yet. They were definitely the first to pre-order, and there are probably at least a couple hundred left before they get to non-employees.
Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
It’s the same for us in the US. I’m just quoting what they said on the amendment.
Oh right. I am sure they will figure out a way to put a few in the hands of their employees to claim they did it.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Wow. So incredibly disappointing. 2 cars per day is far below my already very low expectations.

Seems it’s going to be a very long time until any non-employees get their vehicles.
They are simply slow rolling the production ramp up. October's numbers are 4x more than what they did in September. I'm more interested to see what they do when they report their quarterly results, post IPO.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

As most have said, that is pretty slow. Slower than what I would have thought. With all the mules they've produced you'd think they would have gotten some of their production stuff nailed down and when actual customer vehicles were ready to roll off the line they would have been faster than 2 a day. That being said, they want to make sure they get it right as much as possible from the get go, which is good.

Since only employees have gotten vehicles, we don't know if they did get it right or not. Hopefully, its on the right track and by the time they are ready to produce "real" customer vehicles it'll be ramping up much faster.

Most of all, I'm hoping they do iterative updates as opposed to "model year" updates like traditional OEMs. Sorta like what Tesla does, to implement updates and improvements as soon as possible as opposed to waiting until the next years' batch. That way as many people benefit as possible.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not at all surprised at these numbers. What it tells me is they are taking their time to solve problems and get it right, instead of cranking out inferior product just to meet demand. Kudos to Rivian!

I had dinner this past week with a long time friend/engineer from the mid-west that my company has partnered on plant floor integration projects. HIs company is in discussions with Rivian regarding a plant floor integration project. Rivian is seeking an experienced integrator with brand specific HMI (Human Machine Interface) software skills to provide 10 developers and start immediately. He said that their Rivian contact is working 12 hours a day, and schedulng meetings with them at 8 PM. All indications are that Rivian personnel are busting their butts to get the plant up and running, working as hard and as fast as humanly possible.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
If there is no ramp up, I will get mine in 53.7 years.

Based on many reviews we have seen, there are still some issues to resolve. The attention Rivian has put into this vehicle throughout many years tells me they really have tried to get it right and that desire can not be turned off easily. There are also practical reasons. Recalls and fixes when you have not setup the infrastructure to deal with it is a nightmare you want to avoid. So they most likely want to deliver to the employees first even with issues and problems so they can use those problems to iron out the communication and fix processes so when “real” deliveries happen, we have someone to call and they can respond to it effectively. There is more to this than just dropping the car at our door. So I think it is not just the ramp up at the plant they have to worry about.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
There are 4 trucks sitting in the Bellevue service center right now. Someone heard there are deliveries starting in CA this week. And we've recently heard of actual deliver trucks with R1Ts recently as well (maybe the ones in Bellevue obv).

Point being, let's be patient and don't get too worked up over these small numbers. For all we know. They may have been doing one sprint a week to test our things for all we know. November and December are going to be pretty obvious if the people who were originally contact by guides get dates pushed.

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I agree this is disappointing. I think all of us hoped that the factory switches would be turned on and hundreds of vehicles would be produced this month.

I do wonder if a lot of this delay is really the manifestation of about how complex the vehicle production process truly is. There is a heavy reliance on the use of robotics to assemble much of the vehicle. As others on this forum have pointed out, some of these “production” vehicles have had small but noticeable gaps in body panels, struggles with the automated tonneau covers, etc.

I imagine that making the adjustments to the assembly bots is time consuming. And it is feeling like Rivian may need to make some changes in assembly as fixes for the tonneau cover, etc. likely require a small redesign. I am sure there are dozens of little things like this.

On the flip side, there was 4x the amount of production in this four weeks as those prior. Maybe it grows exponentially for a while.

But the honest truth is that Rivian does have to figure out the production side of the house. And that takes time. So despite my personal feelings, maybe Elon was right and I am going to have to begrudgingly swallow that bitter pill.

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
There are 4 trucks sitting in the Bellevue service center right now. Someone heard there are deliveries starting in CA this week. And we've recently heard of actual deliver trucks with R1Ts recently as well (maybe the ones in Bellevue obv).

Point being, let's be patient and don't get too worked up over these small numbers. For all we know. They may have been doing one sprint a week to test our things for all we know. November and December are going to be pretty obvious if the people who were originally contact by guides get dates pushed.
What? 4? They had none early this week when I saw that prototype. Someone also reported seeing an Amazon van at the SC in Bellevue. I wonder if First Mile test drives will get scheduled soon here in WA!

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Rivian filed Amendment No. 1 to the S-1 on October 22.

https://sec.report/Document/0001193125-21-305592/d157488ds1a.htm

Don't know how much new information has been included, but I did find this interesting tidbit in page 1 (Prospectus Summary):

As of September 30, 2021, we produced 12 R1Ts and delivered 11 R1Ts, and as of October 22, 2021, we produced 56 R1Ts and delivered 42 R1Ts.

Clearly they're taking their time with production, and given they've delivered so few vehicles it isn't surprising that they are mostly (or exclusively) going to employees.

Let us know if you find any other interesting new details!
Wow, I have zero drive to re-read the entire thing. Someone needs a diff or changelog off the original.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager

I was thinking about driving by to see if they had any. Guessing they could also be prepping for some First Mile fun! Or doing hands-on service training?!? Yep, they're fixing all the Test Mule Tonneau covers. ??

So cool! ? I'm good with the wait.

Last edited:

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Wow. So incredibly disappointing. 2 cars per day is far below my already very low expectations.

Seems it’s going to be a very long time until any non-employees get their vehicles.
It's possible they stopped producing them for a few days in order to work out some issues too.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What? 4? They had none early this week when I saw that prototype. Someone also reported seeing an Amazon van at the SC in Bellevue. I wonder if First Mile test drives will get scheduled soon here in WA!
Yeah. Check out the "real world" photos post. Pretty exciting.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well, maybe they are using those are production test runs, hopefully once the hot 200 units they will step it up. Which also might mean that R1S production line might not have to start slow.
Sponsored