First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Marketing Video on the tools Rivian uses to design and visualize the internal and external experience of their videos.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Autodesk put out a video promoting their collaboration with Rivian to showcase how their software has assisted with validation and design.

Interesting insight into some of the processes behind the scenes, unfortunately no easter eggs on the background whiteboards 🧐

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
That is super cool. I wonder how many other manufacturers are already doing this.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I hate autodesk so, so much.

interesting they’re using autodesk here, I wonder if they’re not using CATIA for design work

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I hate autodesk so, so much.

interesting they’re using autodesk here, I wonder if they’re not using CATIA for design work
There's things I like about Autodesk, and some that just drive me nuts. For drafting I'll go back and forth between Dassault Draftsight, and AutoCAD depending on the nature of the work.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I've only ever had to use Revit and Autocad personally so I cannot comment on Autodesk

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

As impressive as the VR tech looks…

Is this what enabled the Rivian team to bring us engineering hits like the problematic power tonneau cover for the R1T and the seemingly-impossible-to-align tailgate for the R1S? :bandit:

Dirtcom_AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Automotive Design
Based on where he got his BS of Automotive Design (I went to the same school) it is no surprise that they use this program at Rivian. Autodesk Alias is pretty much the industry standard in the Automotive Design industry. Honestly I think Automotive Designers are the only people that use it because it can be a pain in the butt. I still use it for fast conceptual designing and complex forms and shapes. I will usually import into Solidworks for final components and assemblies however as it doesn't handle that aspect as well.

You save a lot of time by examining pre production concepts in VR. Being able to adjust and make changes almost instantly without having to do a completely new clay model every time is a huge plus. Saves a lot of labor time, but it does take hours and labor away from the clay modelers.

The industry is always evolving as new software develops or is updated. However, because vehicles are so large and tactile, a final clay model will never be replaced by VR. Being able to touch the curves and various forms and shapes gives you much more information than just sight alone.

I believe Volvo was the first major brand to embrace VR and skip stages of clay modeling.
Sponsored