First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Curious if those on the forum with Tesla purchase/ownership experiences can say if this pretty much mirrors Tesla's direct-to-customer sales model. Or if this transfer of ownership from the factory lot is the same with a Tesla.
I think tesla is pretty much the same, I had to pay a day in advance of picking up the vehicle. I believe the title transfer happened at time of pickup in a little booth where they were delivering vehicles. I say this because they didn't put my wife on the title and they had to change it right then an there, basicly signed a sheet saying I took ownership of the vehicle before I could drive it off the lot. However in our case we didn't have any real problems so I'm not sure what the exact fine print was.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Worth pointing out that the 7 day return policy is nowhere in the Vehicle Purchase Agreement or any other contract.

So while Rivian might have a policy of taking back your vehicle within 7 days, they are under no legal obligation to do so.
I know it makes your head explode as a lawyer, but in this case I'd rather rely on the confidence that they need to avoid bad PR and deliver on customer service rather than a clause in a legal contract. If you have to pull out a contract with a company, you've already lost.

Same thing with the point of ownership transfer, the lawyers made them draft the agreements a particular way for a reason, but they will never burden you with anything that happens before it is in your possession. It's not well written, but I'm not even sure Rivian reads Section 3 the same as you, because there have been plenty of people that "bought" one VIN, only for it to disappear into thin air without any paperwork to legally transfer ownership back to Rivian. Perhaps they just tear up the contract, that's actually what happens actually.

OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I know it makes your head explode as a lawyer, but in this case I'd rather rely on the confidence that they need to avoid bad PR and deliver on customer service rather than a clause in a legal contract. If you have to pull out a contract with a company, you've already lost.

Same thing with the point of ownership transfer, the lawyers made them draft the agreements a particular way for a reason, but they will never burden you with anything that happens before it is in your possession. It's not well written, but I'm not even sure Rivian reads Section 3 the same as you, because there have been plenty of people that "bought" one VIN, only for it to disappear into thin air without any paperwork to legally transfer ownership back to Rivian. Perhaps they just tear up the contract, that's actually what happens actually.
This is more or less where I’m at. I’ll just keep calling (while trying to keep my head from exploding). I mentioned my occupation more in jest. What am I gonna do? Write a nasty letter to Neil Sitron?

Of course - Section 3 of the Vehicle Purchase Agreement is borderline incomprehensible. I’ve read it over 50 times, and I’m still not sure what it means. There’s likely some very good reason it was written that way. But the end result is pure mud.

And I just hate that I have to buy the vehicle FOB Illinois. That feels so anti-customer. Rivian has a dealership license in Colorado. Back in 2020, Rivian asked me to come testify in favor of HB 20-167, which made it possible for Rivian to sell directly in Colorado. Yet, Rivian is not selling vehicles in Colorado. They are selling them in Illinois FOB.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Wow, payment in advance is required? Never heard of anything like that, at least in Canada. Tesla is fine with you showing up on collection day looking around the vehicle for as long as you like before payment and signing paperwork.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Sorry for all your trouble…..Rivian is consistent in their lack of communication…sadly. I hope things improve.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Delivery Purgatory - No Real Communication 5C2B3FA3-6774-48CE-9D3E-6843095B5E39

Okay Rivian. You’ve fooled me once. Crossing my fingers that this delivery time sticks. Still a little skeptical.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
5C2B3FA3-6774-48CE-9D3E-6843095B5E39.jpeg

Okay Rivian. You’ve fooled me once. Crossing my fingers that this delivery time sticks. Still a little skeptical.
Good luck.

I’m in the same boat. Cancelled and now a reschedule for the 25th.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Doesn't sound confidence inspiring, guys. Sorry this is happening to you.
Rivian is mucking things up with deliveries, even through it might be that we "only hear from the dissatisfied ones". The fact that we, you, are forking $75k plus, shouldn't be experiencing this anxiety inducing process no matter how novelty the R1 product may be. Yes, I have driven it, but I haven't gotten it. I and the Planet survived this long without Rivian, I'm sure I can do just fine with a King Ranch or Laramie Longhorn without half the drama...

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Doesn't sound confidence inspiring, guys. Sorry this is happening to you.
Rivian is mucking things up with deliveries, even through it might be that we "only hear from the dissatisfied ones". The fact that we, you, are forking $75k plus, shouldn't be experiencing this anxiety inducing process no matter how novelty the R1 product may be. Yes, I have driven it, but I haven't gotten it. I and the Planet survived this long without Rivian, I'm sure I can do just fine with a King Ranch or Laramie Longhorn without half the drama...
But you rather enjoy the planet in a Rivian?....right.
Sponsored