Sponsored

Rivian Delivery Purgatory - No Real Communication

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hate to do another one of these threads.

My truck was supposed to be delivered May 6. I completed the 8 steps, and I paid Rivian over $90,000 for the new truck. However, delivery was canceled less than 24 hours to go. The truck was damaged by Rivian during final inspection and it needed to be repaired. Since delivery was canceled, I’ve received no real updates from my Guide or Rivian.

I’ve emailed and left voicemails. I can never catch my guide on the phone. I received one email response apologizing for her delayed response and stating she would reach out when she had an update. I just called my guide again: no response. I just called the main customer service line again, but no answer after 10 minutes of hold music.

I’m not one to complain. Stuff breaks. People get busy. But the lack of any real communication from Rivian is killing me. This is the largest financial purchase I’ve ever made outside of buying a house. Rivian has taken my money, but I don’t have a truck or any explanation whatsoever. I can’t even get anyone from the company on the phone.

Per the Vehicle Purchase Agreement, I technically owned the truck the moment it left the factory in Illinois. However, I haven’t been able to get any word from Rivian regarding the full extent of the damage (I received a photo showing a small section of the clear coat burnt through), Rivian’s plan to repair the damage, whether Rivian will continue to insure me against any further damage, when I should expect delivery, or even where my truck is (still in Denver, shipped back to Illinois?).

I’ve waited 2.5 years for the truck. I can wait a little longer. But the lack of communication from Rivian is totally unacceptable. Rivian has lost any goodwill or excitement I had for the brand after spending so much time on the forums here the past few years.

I guess I’ll try again tomorrow.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Per the Vehicle Purchase Agreement, I technically owned the truck the moment it left the factory in Illinois.
the statement depends on the context above it in the PBA. It is in relation to states where Rivian cannot "sell" vehicles to you. Thus they sell you the vehicle in IL, you take ownership in IL, then Rivian ships it to you.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sadly your guide likely doesn't have answers. They reached out as appropriate and they don't get answered then they get busy with however many people they have each of these guides working with and you end up where you are. Not an excuse but more over a result of the bureaucracy of dealing directly with a company.

Hoping you get somewhere soon!

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

TIme to lawyer-up? I mean what happens if someone "test driving" that vehicle has an accident that causes damage (or worse) to another vehicle and/or occupant. Are you held liable? I can only imagine the many worse-case scenarios that you've run through your mind.

Curious if those on the forum with Tesla purchase/ownership experiences can say if this pretty much mirrors Tesla's direct-to-customer sales model. Or if this transfer of ownership from the factory lot is the same with a Tesla.

archit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade
Yeah, I'm getting to the same frustration phase .. slow and steady .. my guide was extremely responsive and helpful for the first couple of days, and now has gone awol ... which sucks because I have been left in a bit of a limbo with Driveway wanting to buy my car, and me not being able to get any sort of update, whatsoever, from Rivian ..

Oh well ..

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

TIme to lawyer-up? I mean what happens if someone "test driving" that vehicle has an accident that causes damage (or worse) to another vehicle and/or occupant. Are you held liable? I can only imagine the many worse-case scenarios that you've run through your mind.

Curious if those on the forum with Tesla purchase/ownership experiences can say if this pretty much mirrors Tesla's direct-to-customer sales model. Or if this transfer of ownership from the factory lot is the same with a Tesla.
Rivian insures the vehicle until you take possession.

OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
TIme to lawyer-up?
I am a lawyer. Not sure what good its doing right now.

I mean what happens if someone "test driving" that vehicle has an accident that causes damage (or worse) to another vehicle and/or occupant. Are you held liable? I can only imagine the many worse-case scenarios that you've run through your mind.

Rivian insures the vehicle until you take possession.
Not exactly. They only insure your vehicle while “in trasit.” This was one of my outstading questions to Rivian. I wanted to ensure my vehicle was still “in transit” for purposes of section 3 of the vehicle purchase agreement. My vehicle made it all the way to the Denver Service Center. Is it no longer “in transit” for purposes of insurance? Are they still insuring my truck from any further damage? What happens if it falls off the truck on the way to a repair shop?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sadly your guide likely doesn't have answers. They reached out as appropriate and they don't get answered then they get busy with however many people they have each of these guides working with and you end up where you are. Not an excuse but more over a result of the bureaucracy of dealing directly with a company.

I’m not sure why they can’t put me in contact with the service team. This is basically a warranty claim. I’ve seen new owners get regular updates from the service folks on what is happening with their vehicle.

This is what I meant by “delivery purgatory.” I’m basically in the buercratic no-man’s-land, where I technically own the truck, but Rivian is acting like they still haven’t sold it to me.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I’m not sure why they can’t put me in contact with the service team. This is basically a warranty claim. I’ve seen new owners get regular updates from the service folks on what is happening with their vehicle.

This is what I meant by “delivery purgatory.” I’m basically in the buercratic no-man’s-land, where I technically own the truck, but Rivian is acting like they still haven’t sold it to me.
Sorry to hear all this. Super lame.

Since you own it, maybe report the vehicle missing or stolen to the Denver police?

Just kidding. Don't do that. 😐

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##

I think that is a good take on the circumstances based on my experience with them.

Sponsored

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Hate to do another one of these threads.

My truck was supposed to be delivered May 6. I completed the 8 steps, and I paid Rivian over $90,000 for the new truck. However, delivery was canceled less than 24 hours to go. The truck was damaged by Rivian during final inspection and it needed to be repaired. Since delivery was canceled, I’ve received no real updates from my Guide or Rivian.

I’ve emailed and left voicemails. I can never catch my guide on the phone. I received one email response apologizing for her delayed response and stating she would reach out when she had an update. I just called my guide again: no response. I just called the main customer service line again, but no answer after 10 minutes of hold music.

I’m not one to complain. Stuff breaks. People get busy. But the lack of any real communication from Rivian is killing me. This is the largest financial purchase I’ve ever made outside of buying a house. Rivian has taken my money, but I don’t have a truck or any explanation whatsoever. I can’t even get anyone from the company on the phone.

Per the Vehicle Purchase Agreement, I technically owned the truck the moment it left the factory in Illinois. However, I haven’t been able to get any word from Rivian regarding the full extent of the damage (I received a photo showing a small section of the clear coat burnt through), Rivian’s plan to repair the damage, whether Rivian will continue to insure me against any further damage, when I should expect delivery, or even where my truck is (still in Denver, shipped back to Illinois?).

I’ve waited 2.5 years for the truck. I can wait a little longer. But the lack of communication from Rivian is totally unacceptable. Rivian has lost any goodwill or excitement I had for the brand after spending so much time on the forums here the past few years.

I guess I’ll try again tomorrow.
My dealings were difficult and frustrating.

However, I do believe, despite how it may feel right now, that they want to do well by you.

They should be more proactive in their communications, but regardless of why they aren't, they just aren't.

I would stay polite and fair but keep reaching out and do not let the fact that they aren't proactive deter you, just accept it as fact and keep texting/calling.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Not taking issue with you or people who do this, but as a general question do you have to pay for the vehicle in advance? Because this is something I'd never do. Wiring tens of thousands of dollars for a product without laying eyes on it is a big red flag for me. I know with Tesla they goad you with emails saying payment is due etc...but until I've inspected the car I'm not handing over the bank draft.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Not taking issue with you or people who do this, but as a general question do you have to pay for the vehicle in advance? Because this is something I'd never do. Wiring tens of thousands of dollars for a product without laying eyes on it is a big red flag for me. I know with Tesla they goad you with emails saying payment is due etc...but until I've inspected the car I'm not handing over the bank draft.
So, yes and no. I am withholding payment and finalizing financing until as long as possible to eliminate as much risk as I can of things going haywire, particularly the risk of having to be assigned a new VIN and explaining to a lender and redoing paperwork. However, payment does have to be made for them to deliver the vehicle, which basically means 24 hours in advance (I think they literally say 24 hours).

So, in OP's case I'm not sure when payment was made, but delivery was cancelled only 24 hours in advance.

However, I also have taken the step of asking the SC for updates of when the vehicle completed inspections (reducing risk), leaving only the risk of damage during transport to my home, which is unavoidable. In my case, it "passed" inspection, but needed a replacement part which had to be ordered, so I continue to hold back payment until I get confirmation that the part is in hand and installed with no other issues and delivery is possible. If they don't get the part installed until the morning of delivery day, well then delivery will be delayed but I'm fine with that.

For your needs, I think the only option you have is once you know it is at the SC and completed their inspections, ask to be able to visit and inspect it yourself. Then, you can "approve", go home and complete the purchase, and then take delivery later. I have thought about doing that myself, but have decided not to. You always have the return option if it's really bad. If it's only minorly bad, they will fix everything. However, you should absolutely expect a 90% probably that it will need to go back to the service center for something within the first month, especially if you're picky/particular.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You won't get the truck then. They do have a 7 day 1000 mile return policy. I don't know if anyone has used it yet though.

OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You won't get the truck then. They do have a 7 day 1000 mile return policy. I don't know if anyone has used it yet though.
Worth pointing out that the 7 day return policy is nowhere in the Vehicle Purchase Agreement or any other contract.

So while Rivian might have a policy of taking back your vehicle within 7 days, they are under no legal obligation to do so.
Sponsored