A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Musk on the Cybertruck:
Is this really a fair comparison, though?
Whether it's fair or not one cannot help but compare, contrast and compare actually, Rivian and Tesla since their approaches are so similar and yet so different. The point I was really trying to make is that Tesla seems to have no trouble with rolling out the CT with a couple of years backlog and I don't see why Rivian would.

Their price ranges are completely different.
Are they really that different? Expensive!

Looking at the Model X pre-order history would be more applicable as well, right?
Well the X was Tesla's third car and the R1T will be Rivians first so maybe not.

I'm really not trying to trash Rivian, but I don't think estimating they have $7-9 billion queued up in sales ready to go is an accurate assessment. Do they have more than 10,000 pre-orders? Probably, but that's also before deposit breakage comes into play. I expect big things for this company, but they aren't a Tesla yet.
That's the big question. Will they ever compete with Tesla? I really hope so because I don't want one company to dominate this industry and so far it looks as if Rivian is the only real competitor out there. So we should be comparing early Rivian to early Tesla but that is tough to do. The elephant in the room, and the one I am worried most about, is the Super Charger network. I guess Tesla was selling cars before they built a single super charger - in fact there is still no super charging for roadsters.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Is this really a fair comparison, though? Their price ranges are completely different. Looking at the Model X pre-order history would be more applicable as well, right?

I'm really not trying to trash Rivian, but I don't think estimating they have $7-9 billion queued up in sales ready to go is an accurate assessment. Do they have more than 10,000 pre-orders? Probably, but that's also before deposit breakage comes into play. I expect big things for this company, but they aren't a Tesla yet.
I think 30-50k is a good guess. Scaringe did say their next big challenge was finding a way to meet demand and the original goal was 20k annual production for the first two years. They just dropped 750 mill on the factory.

Prices aren't that dissimilar when you consider:

The price drop to 69k for the mid-range
$7500 tax credit for Rivian's first 200k vehicles
No $7000 FSD upcharge
All the stuff Tesla's never even tried to do that the R1 series is doing

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Just did this week. I wanted to see what the Cybertruck was like before I put a deposit down. Going with the R1S. If the R1t had a bigger bed or a long enough tunnel for my skis I would have gone with that one. I ok with waiting till middle of next year more time to save money for it.
Sponsored