Sponsored

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I am privileged to live in an extraordinary area. While I do have cell coverage at my home, I am often without.

As for the sound quality mentioned in another post, XM has more than music. I’m an ex trader and often listen to one of the financial news networks.
Another excellent point. I listen to NPR, Bloomberg and CNBC on my commute.
Sponsored

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
I tried satellite radio and didn't care for it. Of course I have hours and hours of music dowloaded on my phone to listen to if I don't have cell service. I just want the ability play that downloaded music, preferably via usb for sound quality though I often use bluetooth for simplicity. That's really all I ask for any vehicle.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
This argument is hilarious to me. I guess the sound quality of silence is higher right?
Absolutely! It's infuriating getting 8 seconds of music, 10 seconds of buffering, 20 seconds of music, then a minute of silence. XM just doesn't work for me in any vehicle that I've had (OEM integration) when I'm on road trips. Admittedly, these trips are usually from the Appalachians to the Green Mountains. Usually I just listen to music from a USB drive since FM generally doesn't work in the same areas. AM usually works for talk radio in these cases, but I don't think we'll have AM radio in the Rivian.

I do understand that my use case doesn't apply to everyone though, and limiting an "adventure" vehicle to limited streaming services is pretty stupid, seeing as how most of my adventure destinations don't have cell service.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Absolutely! It's infuriating getting 8 seconds of music, 10 seconds of buffering, 20 seconds of music, then a minute of silence. XM just doesn't work for me in any vehicle that I've had (OEM integration) when I'm on road trips. Admittedly, these trips are usually from the Appalachians to the Green Mountains. Usually I just listen to music from a USB drive since FM generally doesn't work in the same areas. AM usually works for talk radio in these cases, but I don't think we'll have AM radio in the Rivian.

I do understand that my use case doesn't apply to everyone though, and limiting an "adventure" vehicle to limited streaming services is pretty stupid, seeing as how most of my adventure destinations don't have cell service.
In my 2012 prius, signal was a little spotty in the forest around where I go. In my 2016 RAM, the only time I have issues is if there was a heavy rain and all the leaves are wet. The last hour or so of my drive up there, cell service is essentially non-existent. And without Verizon service it will be even worse. Really all they need is larger buffering hardware. Clearly in your situation, when you have large obstructions that block all RF, the only solution is pre-downloaded music.

I really don't feel like having to be my own DJ and spend time researching and compiling lists of the latest music in the genres I enjoy. I like being able to just turn on SXM Chill and go. Then if I get tired while driving, just flip the channel to Turbo and perk back up.

What I don't understand on this thread is people arguing against additional capability because they don't like it. That would be like me arguing against including bluetooth and usb ability to stream downloaded music.

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician

Never had that experience with Sirius xm other than a moment under an over pass

Sponsored

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
What I don't understand on this thread is people arguing against additional capability because they don't like it. That would be like me arguing against including bluetooth and usb ability to stream downloaded music.
totally agree

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Never had that experience with Sirius xm other than a moment under an over pass
I did not used to have that issue but the last couple of years in Southern California I am finding more and more places where I seem to drop the signal with no tall buildings or overhead things to block it.

Just can't explain it unless there are more gaps in the satellite coverage.

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
I did not used to have that issue but the last couple of years in Southern California I am finding more and more places where I seem to drop the signal with no tall buildings or overhead things to block it.

I would cancel my Sirius xm as well with that kind of coverage

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Reactions: Rad

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Looks like Rivian will make that decision easier soon... :cool:
Lol I am resigned tono Sirius xm ever on the truck and hope they bring CarPlay etc later. The truck is just sooooo frigging nice that losing that functionality is an annoyance only

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It isn't gaps in satellite coverage. It is RF interference. There are a few intersections near me where SXM drops out when stopped at a red light, with a clear view of the sky.

911Safari

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Boxster, Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Prius
Occupation
Architect
I live in the Catskills, and have a Tesla Y w/o Sirius or an am/fm radio, only Tune In, which has terrible reception here in the mountains and hills of upstate NY, and a rather limited group of stations compared to SiriusXM. So I added SiriusXM via a bluetooth connection, which works fine, despite some of the negative comments above. And it can be hidden away in the center console. The problem with the Tesla is that it only allows one bluetooth connection, so there's no phone reception while I'm listening to music, Morning Joe, or whatever. My question, does Rivian bluetooth allow two connections? Anyone know?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I live in the Catskills, and have a Tesla Y w/o Sirius or an am/fm radio, only Tune In, which has terrible reception here in the mountains and hills of upstate NY, and a rather limited group of stations compared to SiriusXM. So I added SiriusXM via a bluetooth connection, which works fine, despite some of the negative comments above. And it can be hidden away in the center console. The problem with the Tesla is that it only allows one bluetooth connection, so there's no phone reception while I'm listening to music, Morning Joe, or whatever. My question, does Rivian bluetooth allow two connections? Anyone know?
IIRC The manual may address this.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Satellite radio music compression is so bad I can't listen to it. I cancelled it after a few months. I'd rather stream Apple Music or another service from my phone even without CarPlay.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Found out Lucid Air doesn’t have SXM either. I guess the new model is to get you to subscribe to a service via the vehicle!
Sponsored