Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
*A quick search finds links that indicate Alexa has an XM Radio skill.

Perhaps this, less than elegant process could be a "solution" for some?
Alexa does have the XM Skill. It works fine for me, as long as there is cell connection.

But an application would mean you’re using the SiriusXM stream off the internet, which means you need a cell connection. That defeats the entire advantage of SiriusXM over streaming services like Spotify for people who are often outside cell range.
That's also true, as far as I know. I don't have Bluetooth in my pickup, so I bought an Echo Auto from Amazon, along with a Bluetooth adapter to plug into a 12V outlet. It plays on the radio using the Alexa App from your phone. It works great with Spotify and Sirius XM, as long as you have cell connection. No doubt Rivian's Alexa will work way better than this $25 setup. I fully expect Rivian to have 3-month trials for each, Spotify, Sirius XM and Amazon Music. These also work on your other devices, computer, Echo Dots, Fire TV, etc.

My truck needed a transmission overhaul 3 weeks ago, (317,000 plus miles), so I had to buy a used vehicle (Thanks Rivian) for transportation while I waited for the repair. The used vehicle came with a 3-month trial of Sirius XM, plus an additional 3-months for $2.00. I'll just use the 3-month and won't subscribe to XM. I already have Spotify.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Alexa does have the XM Skill. It works fine for me, as long as there is cell connection.

That's also true, as far as I know. I don't have Bluetooth in my pickup, so I bought an Echo Auto from Amazon, along with a Bluetooth adapter to plug into a 12V outlet. It plays on the radio using the Alexa App from your phone. It works great with Spotify and Sirius XM, as long as you have cell connection. No doubt Rivian's Alexa will work way better than this $25 setup. I fully expect Rivian to have 3-month trials for each, Spotify, Sirius XM and Amazon Music. These also work on your other devices, computer, Echo Dots, Fire TV, etc.

My truck needed a transmission overhaul 3 weeks ago, (317,000 plus miles), so I had to buy a used vehicle (Thanks Rivian) for transportation while I waited for the repair. The used vehicle came with a 3-month trial of Sirius XM, plus an additional 3-months for $2.00. I'll just use the 3-month and won't subscribe to XM. I already have Spotify.
A 3 month trial of SiriusXM comes with free lifetime phone calls haranguing about subscribing

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
A 3 month trial of SiriusXM comes with free lifetime phone calls haranguing about subscribing
Yep, same experience here. Major league hassles, emails, they NEVER could/would merge my 2 vehicles under 1 account, I had to forcefully via phone always insist to pay by check, had to cut them off of my credit card and so forth. Finally gave up on them. Really bad mgmnt and customer service in my experience.
Too bad though..as I enjoyed some talk shows, sports, breaking news in the middle of nowheresville.

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
I haven't gone through the entire thread, but it could be implemented as an application. This would save the added cost of the hardware.
I skimmed the thread and may have missed where others have mentioned it. But Bluetooth connected to your phone allows you to stream the XM app from your phone to your vehicle.

A few years ago Toyota rolled out an Alexa app* for their Entune system. I never really have used it, but if I can find the time will try it and report back. Initial reports were not good, but Entune is not a state of the art system by any means.

*A quick search finds links that indicate Alexa has an XM Radio skill.

Perhaps this, less than elegant process could be a "solution" for some?
It seems pretty obvious from many of these comments that many/most of you have not driven in the Southwest. Where we live we can barely get cell reception, and we live outside a major city! You can be in Albuquerque or Santa Fe and walk 2ft while on a call and lose the connection. Relying on a cell tower and my phone to listen to music is next to impossible. And don't get me started on the mountains of northern New Mexico, Colorado along with buttes in southern Utah to name a few. Trips I want to make in my R1T and know the difficulty of getting reception on my phone. So even using an app as many have suggested would not work. And because of lack of towers and tower distances phones overheat quickly.

Sirius Radio has the parts available free of charge to manufacturers to make the sound system compatible. It's to their benefit to have it available in vehicles. It would just be up to us to activate it. Parts needed are given to the manufacturer free of charge as long as they make the request.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It seems pretty obvious from many of these comments that many/most of you have not driven in the Southwest. Where we live we can barely get cell reception, and we live outside a major city! You can be in Albuquerque or Santa Fe and walk 2ft while on a call and lose the connection. Relying on a cell tower and my phone to listen to music is next to impossible. And don't get me started on the mountains of northern New Mexico, Colorado along with buttes in southern Utah to name a few. Trips I want to make in my R1T and know the difficulty of getting reception on my phone. So even using an app as many have suggested would not work. And because of lack of towers and tower distances phones overheat quickly.

Sirius Radio has the parts available free of charge to manufacturers to make the sound system compatible. It's to their benefit to have it available in vehicles. It would just be up to us to activate it. Parts needed are given to the manufacturer free of charge as long as they make the request.
I‘ve driven extensively in the southwest and do so annually. I’ve usually used music on an iPod or a CD player(or tape deck if we’re going back in time) or a USB stick, or downloaded previously from spotify etc. For radio, FM or AM(the real annoying absence, gimme my pirate radio).

there are other quiet places too.
Don’t get me started on going North of 50 or so degrees in Canada - there is nothing if you’re not on the major highway.
same with west and east etc.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
Tesla just did an OTA that allows SXM connectivity through an in-dash app. So give it time, it may be available.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Tesla just did an OTA that allows SXM connectivity through an in-dash app. So give it time, it may be available.
It doesn't help those who want connectivity outside cellular range but for the rest of us that's fantastic. Lowers the
So, no cell service needed?
It would need cell serivce. Believe they already mentioned there would be no hardware..

It's the future!!! (...or something. Sorry, wilderness wanderers...)

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Tesla includes native Sirius XM support (i.e. via satellite) in Model S and X. The software to run it on their updated UI was not available at launch, and that's what was added. There is no indication Rivian will have any of the hardware required for native support, so the only options are streaming via cellular or an aftermarket antenna and receiver.

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RidingRoadsAndTrails.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi SQ5, Ford Transit
Occupation
retired
I also live in an area with no FM reception and limited cell reception. I also use Amazon Prime Music which allows you to play streamed or downloaded music. We listen to XM despite the low-fidelity music quality.

My 2016 Sprinter also did not have support for XM built in and no way to add it. I installed an "XM Ready" Kenwood head unit, and an add on XM box with an antenna and fed it to an auxiliary port in the head unit.

Replacing the head-unit in the R1T may not be a practical option.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
For a “adventure vehicle “ not to have satellite reception capability is lame. I lose cell service 20 min out of Phoenix. Yeah xm sucks but so does listening to the same old music on your phone because you can’t stream.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I also live in an area with no FM reception and limited cell reception. I also use Amazon Prime Music which allows you to play streamed or downloaded music. We listen to XM despite the low-fidelity music quality.

My 2016 Sprinter also did not have support for XM built in and no way to add it. I installed an "XM Ready" Kenwood head unit, and an add on XM box with an antenna and fed it to an auxiliary port in the head unit.

Replacing the head-unit in the R1T may not be a practical option.
https://shop.siriusxm.com/SiriusXM-Tour-360L

There is a 12v plug under the dash on the rivian. Plug this in, connect it to Bluetooth, and you should be golden.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just got confirmation via Rivian chat today there will be no Sirius/XM at launch:swear::eek::eek::headbang:

" Great question, we will not have Sirius/XM in our vehicles, we will have bluetooth and FM "

Bummer! How will we be able to listen to music etc. when out of cell signal range in national parks etc? No Howard Stern?!!!
Sponsored