Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
I would rather not pay even a penny for the equipment to receive satellite radio anyway. Most of the stations are terrible and sound like tin-can crap. Why on earth would you play 32 kb AAC streams on a premium Meridian sound system? I bet Meridian was like, please dont...
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I would rather not pay even a penny for the equipment to receive satellite radio anyway. Most of the stations are terrible and sound like tin-can crap. Why on earth would you play 32 kb AAC streams on a premium Meridian sound system? I bet Meridian was like, please dont...
Sports? News? I got called away from home during the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend and I at least had F1 radio to keep me informed.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

As much as I enjoy Sirius/XM in my cars, I'm looking forward to trying something new in my R1T. Several of you have expounded upon the fact that the soundstream in S/XM and some other services are compressed. Maybe my hearing is not so good after a lifetime of way-too-loud rock concerts, dating back to The Who in 1973, but I'm all ears when it comes to learning about new ways to listen to my music. Although I tend to think of my problem as more of a listening disorder than a hearing issue, the cleanest, transient highs and lowest bass notes are muddier in my head than they used to be, especially in a moving vehicle. Mild tinnitus from a serious Sirius/XM full-volume surprise doesn't help. Thankfully, the seats in my Volvo are well-treated. It made cleanup easier.

I'm guessing that a purer source, properly reproduced through any of Meridian's systems, will sound better than S/XM, especially at rest. Whether playing tunes while moving, or sitting high in the mountains, in the bottom of one of our deep valleys, or lost in a tall forest, nicely reproduced music of my choosing will be a big part of every Adventure. Let's face it, all movies are made better by having a great soundtrack, especially when played through a world class sound system! So out with the old, and in with the new!

Tom Petty may not be with us anymore, but his music lives on. I can't wait to watch a Sunrise while cooking up breakfast on the Camp Kitchen, and starting the day with "Free Fallin' ", or CSN's "See the Changes", or maybe Don Henley's "The Heart of the Matter", either through the Bluetooth speaker, or by rolling down the windows and opening the other three doors. Unlike S/XM, other systems will allow us to pick and choose exactly what we want to hear, exactly when we want to hear it, from Abba to ZZ Top. (Sorry to put Abba in any post of mine, just trying to make a point). It's one thing to choose your music, but to match it to the right moment is like a perfectly-crafted meal, matched to the right bottle of wine.

Crank it up!

While I hope to find those places around the U.S and Canada that are remote enough to escape cell service, I've found a number of places in the Pacific Northwest where we are blocked from S/XM's geosynchronous satellites, even though the cell service is strong as an ox. It's not just the canyon walls, like those along the south side of the Columbia River Gorge. It's also the trees along the forested highways that take us to and from the coast and elsewhere around here. Even those tall trees on the South side of the roads and highways in our flatlands create annoying dropouts. My daily commute in suburban Portland has tree-caused deadspots, while the cell service is uninterrupted.

If you travel the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge, satellite transmission is nice and clean. On the Oregon side, however, the looming walls of columnar basalt totally block the view towards the ecliptic plane above the equator, where the satellites do their delicate dance, freefalling around the planet, around the clock. Ten minutes worth of lost signal while traveling I-84 is guaranteed. (You can cut that period in half by doing 130, but it could make your passengers a bit nervous).

The further North you travel, the less it takes to block the satellites. For those lucky enough to live in Alaska or Hawaii, Sirius/XM doesn't reach them. If any system we get relies on cellular coverage, I'll be good with it, as I'm finding ever-improving cellular service around here with every passing year. I realize that everyone's experience is unique and different, but I'm game for a change, and eliminating the needed annual interaction with S/XM's torturous renewal dance will be very welcome.

Bring it on!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
A list or photographs of what is included in the vehicle allows one to use inductive reasoning to determine what probably isn't included.
If you mention “inductive reasoning” to CS, they will tell you about the wonderful induction cooktop included with the camp kitchen. Might even send you a link to a video! ?

Sponsored

Richland Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 2022 Volvo XC60
If you mention “inductive reasoning” to CS, they will tell you about the wonderful induction cooktop included with the camp kitchen. Might even send you a link to a video! ?
Best answer ever!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I'm counting roughly 7 weeks for "in September".
For clarity did Rivian specifically state the qualifier September 2021 or could this mean September 2022? Just trying to set my expectations in case they begin deliveries in January 2022 8 months early!

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I am glad Satellite radio is not included. My Ford has it and I don't subscribe. The mode button on my steering wheel is useless because a call for subscription ad pops up on my center display and will not go away till I look away from the road and tap on it. It ruins the UI.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

IMO, it’s a shame that Rivian won’t include CarPlay or Sirius/XM in their vehicles. But, that won’t stop me from buying their R1S.

Am I understanding this correctly though that they haven’t clarified how one can stream music if there is no cell signal available? Do they have an innovative solution for that?

I’m sure many of us would be traveling to places off the grid in their Rivian. Perhaps we’d just have to somehow store all our music somewhere and stream locally?

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Am I understanding this correctly though that they haven’t clarified how one can stream music if there is no cell signal available? Do they have an innovative solution for that?
Spotify has downloadable playlists (ones you can create and ones that are already curated). So you would just play a downloaded playlist.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Spotify has downloadable playlists (ones you can create and ones that are already curated). So you would just play a downloaded playlist.
I‘ve got it set so all of my “daily mix” automatic playlists download when updated

works fine, in the before times when flying, or driving in rural areas I would just make sure to have a variety of music downloaded beforehand.

I asked Customer Support if the infotainment system can play audio files from a USB drive. All they could confirm was Bluetooth connectivity and FM radio. Did say there is a blog post on the way with an in-depth overview of the infotainment system’s features.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
I am glad Satellite radio is not included. My Ford has it and I don't subscribe. The mode button on my steering wheel is useless because a call for subscription ad pops up on my center display and will not go away till I look away from the road and tap on it. It ruins the UI.
I had SXM in my Ram. It forced updates and weather notifications that you couldnt turn off. SXM blamed the dealer, the dealer blamed SXM. I am sure the dealer got a kickback so they didnt turn it off. Plenty of forums out there regarding the same issue. So I am also glad that
Rivian wont be including this service. If I want music, Ill stream it.

I will say the lack of Waze is unfortunate, but Im sure I can manage.

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Had to get all the way to the end before he said “It’s view only. You can’t input anything.” If that’s the case, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the crowd source nature of Waze. If you’re just a consumer and not a contributor, then you are not operating in the spirit of what Waze is all about. Therefore, I don’t consider this a “solution”.
Yeah, I’d classify that as a kludge instead of a solution.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE