First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I mean at this point I'm not surprised if the truck ONLY does Bluetooth and nothing else. They haven't announced ANYTHING and all we hear is things it won't have, SiriusXM, Carplay, etc.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

For me XM is an expectation given that practically every new car supports it. And as with CarPlay/AA, there is no way to know if the absence is a deal breaker without some knowledge of what will be supported.
Yeah, the expectation is key.

AA/CP, SiriusXM, and HomeLink are all in the same category for me: things I’ve come to expect in cars at anything greater than an economy price point. I’m curious to see what options Rivian provides us as substitutes, but if you use any or all of these features, eliminating them without a work-around or substitute is going to put some people off.

BadKarma!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350R
Occupation
Cyber Security
Clubs

If I were to venture a guess I would imagine that Amazon Music HD will be built-in to the infotainment center, or at least the app will be there by default. We already know Alexa integration will be part of the overall system.

Rivian has a close partnership with Amazon / AWS.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Even though virtually every other manufacturer offers SiriusXM it’s not an insurmountable issue. I can do what I’ve done in other cars and place a SiriusXM antenna on the dash with only windshield glass above it. Keep the thin wire neatly hidden in the gap at the base of the windshield and it’s good enough and fairly unobtrusive. Then I can place the external tuner in the glove box so it’s hidden and easily reachable in the event I want to change channels. Hopefully there’s a 3.5mm audio-in for the stereo in the glove box and we’re good to go.
There is no glove box in the R1T/R1S.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
That's one of the things I like about Apple Music... It looks at how much free space your device has, and uses some of it to store copies of songs you listen to frequently, so you can listen to music even when there is no cell coverage.

But this is another example where Rivian should listen better to customers. I don't want XM -- but you do. Let it be an option. It could be as simple as a little box that you can plug in under the dash to add the XM hardware. That way I don't pay for what I don't need/want, and you can still have it if you do.
15 years ago I would've agreed with you.

My 2006 Mini (and BMWs of the era) had a robust accessory port on the radio for adding factory produced, dealer installed accessories of many ilks. iPod 30pin, XM (separate from Sirius then), Sirius (separate from XM then), bluetooth, and others.

"Yay, designed by BMW-Mini and with a factory-considered install!"

The accessories were all extremely expensive and flakey and problematic.

When it came down to it, I installed a cheap 3rd party bluetooth receiver and never looked back.

A well reviewed bluetooth SiriusXM receiver costs $70 on Amazon. Modern bluetooth audio quality is way better than Sirius provides, and the trucks will (presumably) handle things like seamlessly switching between phone calls and navigation prompts while playing bluetooth audio.

A factory Sirius option built in to every truck would cost R&D time and raise the price by WAY more than $70 for every single buyer.

A factory "audio accessory port" would either be USB - which your $70 bluetooth SiriusXM receiver will plug in to for power anyways - or some proprietary thing with overly expensive add-ons of unknown quality.

TLDR; What you propose - "A little box that you can plug in to add the XM hardware" - already exists today, and the infotainment already lets you choose between it and other audio sources because it can (presumably) connect to multiple bluetooth devices at one time and choose between them.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

There is no glove box in the R1T/R1S.
Hm, it’s almost as if omitting features people have come to expect on cars can adversely impact the utility of a car without them.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
And where did you hear about no AM radio? Is that true also? WTF? No baseball broadcasts and no Howard Stern in the car? They must think only people in their early 20s and younger are buying these cars.
I was told this in customer support chat.

For what it’s worth, a lot of aftermarket radios no longer have AM tuners.

Even Tesla doesn’t have AM or satellite radio because frickin elon doesn’t like external antennae.

heck in Europe there’s not even FM radio anymore. Just DAB.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Siruis/XM was great until someone got the bright idea to include the DJ experience. I don't need the gravelly voice, personal opinions or one sided banter. 10's of Thousand of MP3's baby on a thumb drive and cd's dirt cheap at garage sales to make more. Nobody wants those old people silver platters any more. Good thing they don't know about all the 8 tracks.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
TLDR; What you propose - "A little box that you can plug in to add the XM hardware" - already exists today, and the infotainment already lets you choose between it and other audio sources because it can (presumably) connect to multiple bluetooth devices at one time and choose between them.
People buy iPhones and Samsung flagship phones, despite many much less expensive options available. Rivian will sell R1Ts, despite cheaper F150 configurations that will exist.

There is a market for better/premium implementations. People will pay more for what they perceive as a nicer experience.

I know people who would never pay for factory navigation because they can just suction-cup their phone and block their view of the road. But to me, that's an insane idea.

If you're okay with the aftermarket SiriusXM tuner, then you can do that. Someone else would cringe at the thought, however.

What I'm proposing is a Rivian-built module to add SiriusXM. It would certainly cost more than $70. But some people who really want SiriusXM, might be willing to pay $499 for the hardware to get a first-class integration.

To give another example, Tesla charges $325 for their HomeLink module. You may find that absurd and think you'll just velcro your $10 FOB to the headliner... But I'd pay the $325 for the better integration.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Sorry for going OT and if this has been discussed else where. Is Homelink included on the R1S?

GR

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Sorry for going OT and if this has been discussed else where. Is Homelink included on the R1S?

GR
I'd be happy if Homekit was included. Have the exterior lights turn on and garage door open as you approach the driveway. Lots of possibilities with app-based controls. (Realistically all that can happen without the car but it would be cool to have it all together).

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

GR
Not Homelink, but garage door opener capabilities I'm told.

I'd be happy if Homekit was included. Have the exterior lights turn on and garage door open as you approach the driveway. Lots of possibilities with app-based controls. (Realistically all that can happen without the car but it would be cool to have it all together).
Homelink and Homekit are different...

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
If I were to venture a guess I would imagine that Amazon Music HD will be built-in to the infotainment center, or at least the app will be there by default. We already know Alexa integration will be part of the overall system.

Rivian has a close partnership with Amazon / AWS.
Yes, I expect they are working on native integration for several music services. If CarPlay/AA aren't there I know Apple won't want to be left out...

...not good news for loyal XM hardware owners but I do notice in areas with no cell service the buffer is quite large in my Defender. I've been using the Sirius app on my phone thru Carplay and the native Spotify app and I never run out of music if the channel or playlist has been on for a while...

...the online subscription for Sirius is way cheaper than the car subscription, too...

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I thought XM just died off as soon as your free subscription for the first few months of owning your vehicle existed. After that it just disappears. ?
FWIW, their subscription count is over twice that of DirecTV and 34 million + times that of Blockbuster -- all symbols, or soon to be symbols of a bygone era.

FWIW, there aren't commercials on may of the stations but there is a TON of DJ banter and a staggering amount of station identification on them. I can see why some identify that as commercials.

My wife loves Sirius though, and she definitely has good taste. Or something...
Sponsored