Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I will split the difference here... ESPN/Fox Sports/similar non-SiriusXM channels definitely have ads. Lithium, 90s, Highway, Coffeehouse, etc. music channels that are run by SiriusXM only have ads for SiriusXM stuff. Those are mostly programming and event ads for that station but do also include ads for other stations.

The biggest reason people want it is pretty simple: cell and radio coverage isn't great in a lot of places. For me, I like having SiriusXM, but I will adjust to not having it, so long as there's a decent way to handle music and podcasts. It would be especially nice if whatever built-in entertainment apps have an ability to pre-load stuff. If they don't, I'll make due with my phone.

Adding an aftermarket unit is not as desirable, IMO. The antenna is the biggest issue. It's never as clean a setup as factory ones.
Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
What about SiriusXM do you really like?

For music, I think it's a terrible experience. Quality is abysmal. On top of the low quality, you pay money and still get ads? Yuck.

For sports/talk it's a better experience. But you can stream most of that on a phone for a same-or-better experience -- unless your preferred "host" has an exclusive agreement.
In some areas terrestrial radio and cell service are not available.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As usual, we can't seem to get a consistent answer from CS regarding anything. I emailed them after seeing this thread asking for confirmation that there would be no support for SiriusXM and to see if they could share anything about what they would be supporting instead. Here is what I got in response, FWIW:

While we build towards the final production, we'll continue to share more details surrounding our infotainment system, and the integrated applications/features.

Though exact details surrounding SiriusXM are on the horizon, rest assured our user interface will meet, or exceed your expectations. I've personally had a chance to interact with our technology, and we have over-engineered it to ensure that it can continuously get better even after you take ownership - RJ himself has also spent a significant amount of time, alongside our software engineers to build an incredible interface.
Still 100% non-committal it seems.

Last edited:

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
In some areas terrestrial radio and cell service are not available.
To be fair, I've also been in valleys where XM wasn't even available but coverage is still much better than for other signals.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
To be fair, I've also been in valleys where XM wasn't even available but coverage is still much better than for other signals.
Agreed. I loose signal for a mile or two every day when I drive to town, but coverage is MUCH better than cell and there is little to no terrestrial. If you’re going to be an “adventure vehicle”, commit to the idea of your customers being in far off-places. Just my .02.

Last edited:

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
They'd better have an excellent solution for streaming Sirius that doesn't require me to operate my phone while I drive and also works anywhere (even without cell service). Streaming from my phone is going to be a total hassle.

Not having a built in Sirius antenna will be a major mis-step for Rivian. I hope they haven't baba booey'd the whole entertainment system.

Also, there are ads on Sirius xm, but not on the music channels. Only the other entertainment channels.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Never mind satellite radio, I’m sad there’s no AM radio. Weird survivalist doomsday AM stations and pirate stations playing Norteno music are a road trip staple.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Chatted will a CS rep today and asked if XM radio would be included. They confirmed to me that XM will not be a part of the entertainment system but an app could be used with Bluetooth. Rather disappointing.

Since they aren't supporting CarPlay or Android Auto, they are going to have a lot of work to do to fulfill / keep up with individuals expectations. Personally, I will be quite annoyed if they don't have hifi solutions like Tidal or Qobuz.

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Maybe Sirius will work through Alexa. the integration there isn't too bad. Maybe we just need to ask Alexa for everything now.

I would prefer not to have to talk to my car to skim through channels though.

And where did you hear about no AM radio? Is that true also? WTF? No baseball broadcasts and no Howard Stern in the car? They must think only people in their early 20s and younger are buying these cars.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sirus - the new CarPlay/AA :oops:

Solution is (almost) the same as for CarPlay/AA - if it is indeed a "must have", time to move on. Unlike CarPlay/AA, there are aftermarket solutions - which means only those who really want it have to pay for it instead of everyone that purchases a Rivian

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
i dont get cell phone coverage through most of central PA, so the radio is all I have when I drive to the cabin.....
Same here, central PA has poor cell coverage in many areas, that's where I tow my boat, have a cabin, etc. it's my "Adventure" area. It's disappointing that my "Adventure" vehicle may not have radio service in my Adventureland! That's why I have Sirius/XM now in three vehicles.

It's puzzling that they went this route - there are plenty of aftermarket radios that have an add-on option for a Sirius/XM receiver. They could have used this concept as a user installed option.

Or, perhaps they are working on a plan, as another reply here indicates?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Solution is (almost) the same as for CarPlay/AA - if it is indeed a "must have", time to move on. Unlike CarPlay/AA, there are aftermarket solutions - which means only those who really want it have to pay for it instead of everyone that purchases a Rivian
For me XM is an expectation given that practically every new car supports it. And as with CarPlay/AA, there is no way to know if the absence is a deal breaker without some knowledge of what will be supported. I'll play that hand once those cards are dealt. No biggie.

However, what I still find inexcusable is the lack of a consistent response from CS. Can't even get a second CS rep to confirm the statement made by another CS rep earlier in the same day. This is why I have all but quit reaching out to CS.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Even though virtually every other manufacturer offers SiriusXM it’s not an insurmountable issue. I can do what I’ve done in other cars and place a SiriusXM antenna on the dash with only windshield glass above it. Keep the thin wire neatly hidden in the gap at the base of the windshield and it’s good enough and fairly unobtrusive. Then I can place the external tuner in the glove box so it’s hidden and easily reachable in the event I want to change channels. Hopefully there’s a 3.5mm audio-in for the stereo in the glove box and we’re good to go.
Sponsored