Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Found out Lucid Air doesn’t have SXM either. I guess the new model is to get you to subscribe to a service via the vehicle!
Services that don't work in areas without cell reception. This is dumb for an adventure vehicle where the whole point is to get "off the grid". Colorado and many other adventure states are filled with areas with little to no cell reception.
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Services that don't work in areas without cell reception. This is dumb for an adventure vehicle where the whole point is to get "off the grid". Colorado and many other adventure states are filled with areas with little to no cell reception.
completely agree. I wasn’t saying that it was a good idea to not include SiriusXM. Even in areas of good cell reception such as where I am in Southern California, streaming music can still go in and out. I know people complain about compression, etc., etc. but when you have no music I’d rather have something with compression.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have been a Sirius XM subscriber since before the 2 companies merged. Back then I was on the road for work almost 50k miles per year and it was great. That was also before our phones became effective streaming devices. It was nice to have that consistency driving across the country vs. getting cramps in your neck because you always had one hand on the stereo trying to find the next regions‘ NPR :headbang:

I will say it is not always perfect reception with that either - if you are driving through a canyon with tall mountains on both sides you will likely not have a signal, same if you are driving through dense forest with lots of tree cover. It struggles the most in cities with tall buildings.

I have called to cancel it a few times over the years because I just don’t need it as often and each time they lower my price to get me to stay. So I’m basically paying like $4 a month which doesn’t hurt me and it’s there when I want to use it.

I had read that TuneIn Radio comes on the Rivian system so I downloaded it to try it out. Obviously it requires a cellular signal to work properly, but depending on what you listen to it is definitely a viable alternative to Sirius XM. With our phones able to store so much downloaded content on them now SXM is not so useful. I have like 30 hours of music and podcasts that live on my phone and don’t require a good signal to be played.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I have been a Sirius XM subscriber since before the 2 companies merged. Back then I was on the road for work almost 50k miles per year and it was great. That was also before our phones became effective streaming devices. It was nice to have that consistency driving across the country vs. getting cramps in your neck because you always had one hand on the stereo trying to find the next regions‘ NPR :headbang:

I will say it is not always perfect reception with that either - if you are driving through a canyon with tall mountains on both sides you will likely not have a signal, same if you are driving through dense forest with lots of tree cover. It struggles the most in cities with tall buildings.

I have called to cancel it a few times over the years because I just don’t need it as often and each time they lower my price to get me to stay. So I’m basically paying like $4 a month which doesn’t hurt me and it’s there when I want to use it.

I had read that TuneIn Radio comes on the Rivian system so I downloaded it to try it out. Obviously it requires a cellular signal to work properly, but depending on what you listen to it is definitely a viable alternative to Sirius XM. With our phones able to store so much downloaded content on them now SXM is not so useful. I have like 30 hours of music and podcasts that live on my phone and don’t require a good signal to be played.
Same here ... for $4/mo its worth in. Plus, you can stream in the home if you use an Amazon/Google device. These days, I use that feature more than in my car!!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hello
I know nothing about the Rivian sound system, and have not had a good look at the interior. Will it come equipped with a USB or mini plug input. As you said Bluetooth is available. I have some music on my phone, but have a number of thumb drives loaded with mucho music.
Thanks...
Has USB, but you can't play music from it yet.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
This isn’t going to help the major complaint here, which is using SiriusXM in places with no cell coverage, but if you have a streaming plan and you enable the SiriusXM skill on your Alexa account, you can use it through Alexa and the R1’s data connection.

Alexa has skills that connect to a ton of music services (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora, SiriusXM, etc.) and Rivian confirmed they work in the release notes for the last OTA.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Found out Lucid Air doesn’t have SXM either. I guess the new model is to get you to subscribe to a service via the vehicle!
I think relying on a cell connection makes more sense in the Lucid Air because it”s less likely to be in remote areas without coverage for long periods of time.

Deleted member 7086

Deleted member 7086

Does anyone know where the head unit is located in the R1T and where the FM antenna lead plugs into it?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does anyone know where the head unit is located in the R1T and where the FM antenna lead plugs into it?
I do not know... But are you considering a FM modulator? Those always sound awful, imo. I'd rather use Bluetooth.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
SXM is moving to be a data-driven music streaming service to stay relevant in today's day in age. They already have a fairly good phone app, and their strategic direction is to move music delivery to cellular (Wireless) networks (IE: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ertainment--siriusxm-with-360l-300582475.html).

The audio quality of the satellites is poor, and they are showing their age.

I understand for some of us that travel to rural areas might not like this, but even today no OEM pays to put Sirius in cars. The only reason it is so common is SXM literally pays ford/chevy/etc to put it in the car on the hopes of future revenue.

Between offline stations caching and podcasts, live music streaming is not really necessary anymore for the occasional rural trip. I understand though that a few people will be upset, especially those that want to listen to sports or other similar non-cacheable content.

If you haven't already, you should go try out the app.

Deleted member 7086

I am considering a Siriusxm FM direct adapter to get rid of static. I reached out to Rivian CS regarding use of the SXM app on my phone through Bluetooth but they indicated the Rivian radio could not receive two bluetooth signals at the same time so the choice was cell phone use or SXM music but not both. Not the best solution but since Rivian will not offer SXM and the Rivian radio does not have an AUX in it is probably the only solution.

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Chatted will a CS rep today and asked if XM radio would be included. They confirmed to me that XM will not be a part of the entertainment system but an app could be used with Bluetooth. Rather disappointing.
very disappointed in their decision. I have my R1T already and we have come across areas with no Network connections (which is most of the areas you will go on adventures in and guess what the back country has no cell service who would have thought) so you are truly traveling and camping in silence. This was a poor choice IMO. Had XM in my Wrangler solely for that reason.

Deleted member 7086

As a followup I live in Flagstaff, Arizona and took a day trip to Phoenix on I-17 and back yesterday with my R1T. I tried to listen to Tunein but the cell tower coverage was so poor the signal was constantly cutting in and out during the trip. I have been told Rivian uses AT&T and their presence in Arizona is limited at best. While satellite radio may not be the technological equal to cell tower based sources of music at least you can get a signal.
Sponsored