Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
I personally would like to see them offer Sirius/XM. I do a lot of driving in the rural Midwest where there are gaps in radio coverage, especially hilly areas where FM is poor. I've come to rely on Sirium/XM in my current vehicles. I know I could play music from my phone, but I like hearing the broader range of music on the radio and sometimes hearing new songs. Spotify isn't always the solution due to internet and cellular connection issues in rural areas.
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
" Great question, we will not have Sirius/XM in our vehicles, we will have bluetooth and FM "
Does this mean they won't even have a streaming service native on their infotainment system? If that's the case then they're really behind on their software. I basically won't be able to use the car handsfree from my phone unless I want to listen to FM.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
As usual, we can't seem to get a consistent answer from CS regarding anything. I emailed them after seeing this thread asking for confirmation that there would be no support for SiriusXM and to see if they could share anything about what they would be supporting instead. Here is what I got in response, FWIW:

Still 100% non-committal it seems.
No idea what that person is saying.....

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How will we be able to listen to music etc. when out of cell signal range in national parks etc?
You can put music on your phone. Prior to that there was the iPod.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Once upon a time there was this thing called 'cassette tape' if you didn't like the song that came up it was just easier to listen to it and learn to like it vs trying to skip ahead.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They'd better have an excellent solution for streaming Sirius that doesn't require me to operate my phone while I drive and also works anywhere (even without cell service). Streaming from my phone is going to be a total hassle.

Not having a built in Sirius antenna will be a major mis-step for Rivian. I hope they haven't baba booey'd the whole entertainment system.

Also, there are ads on Sirius xm, but not on the music channels. Only the other entertainment channels.
Baba-booey is right! If they dont add it then they will have "NOT hit em with the Hein"!

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I am a little concerned by this answer from CS. Does this mean there is no local USB input as well? Are they expecting ALL audio input to come over Bluetooth? That's horrible for audio quality and will be a complete waste of the capabilities of the Meridian system. I am really hoping this was just a terse shorthand from that CS rep.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sirius aftermarket kits are readily available for those that want the service

Sponsored

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If I were to venture a guess I would imagine that Amazon Music HD will be built-in to the infotainment center, or at least the app will be there by default. We already know Alexa integration will be part of the overall system.

Rivian has a close partnership with Amazon / AWS.
Amazon music is terrible

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm just gonna say it... XM is trashy and it should die and no lux car should have it as a persistent option and it doesn't make sense to have the hardware to receive it and I hate XM and I'm happy I don't ever have to see it in my upcoming truck.
Carter, Just to confirm, you're not a big fan, right?
I think I see a glimmer of some kind of love there for XM ;)

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Once upon a time there was this thing called 'cassette tape' if you didn't like the song that came up it was just easier to listen to it and learn to like it vs trying to skip ahead.
Maybe I can put a victrola in the back?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Amazon music is terrible
It's a reasonable alternative to spotify/Tidal/Pandora, etc for a lot of people. I personally don't find a significant difference between them and just jump between who is offering me a "deal"
Sponsored