First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
I must be one of the few that is somewhat surprised (though also not surprised) that so many are up in arms about the last 24 hours. Things are largely still on track with their long-standing guidance, just a couple extra months to complete LE R1S, but it looks like most are still scheduled to be delivered by end of Spring as projected.

Rivian has been saying for months that LE would be delivered in Spring 2022, and that is basically what they are doing (looks entirely true for R1T and a couple months extra for R1S which is a rounding error). While many may have assumed they might receive their vehicle sooner than they are, they never actually said you would (outside of a handful test mules on guide calls, which were never actually real and regardless have nothing to do with the whole), and the S1 clearly said non-employees wouldn't receive it this year. So, if you're being honest with yourself, virtually nobody had any reason to believe they were getting a vehicle materially earlier than the window they were just provided based on actual communications from Rivian (again, other than the handful of test mules). You can scream and point fingers all you want, but that's the truth.

You can make the case that Rivian could have managed expectations better, and maybe they could have and maybe they couldn't, but the fact remains that ultimately people are also responsible for their own expectations. That being said, I expect very few will actually admit it.

I thought yesterday's news was positive and right in line with what expectations should have been. I know for me (early summer R1S) it was spot on with what I've assumed.
Amen, brother. I don't really get the histrionics either. Rivian originally indicated a start to customer vehicle production in December 2020, but were delayed due to the pandemic until September 2021. I think that's actually pretty good for a startup auto manufacturer - only 9 months behind schedule due to the pandemic. They were clear that it would take months after the first customer vehicles rolled off the line to ramp up to delivering trucks at scale. Rivian also was clear that multiple factors (configuration, customer location, service network status) would impact the delivery schedule. Rivian never promised that they would do any better than they have.
Many people have projected their own expectations onto the delivery schedule, but Rivian's actions are pretty much right in line with what they laid out in the S1. The only real cause for complaint here is that we, the customers, have had to pick through the S1 for guidance that Rivian should have been able to share with us directly.
There is also no reason to yell about Rivian's practice of delivering trucks to employees and affiliates first. Those folks are beta testers for the rest of us. We should be thanking them. And they are paying customers just like us. Everybody relax.
I pre-ordered a LE R1T (El Cap, Black Mountain, 20"AT) on 11/26/2018. I'm scheduled for a Mar-Apr 2022 delivery window. I'm okay with that.
Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

There is also no reason to yell about Rivian's practice of delivering trucks to employees and affiliates first. Those folks are beta testers for the rest of us. We should be thanking them. And they are paying customers just like us. Everybody relax.
Eh... I can kinda see this one from both angles. You're right, they're paying customers and beta testers and all that. You're right. And there's value in that. But deliveries were also originally slated to begin in late 2020 and when RJ and team send the summer email to say the dates are getting pushed and they want to do a better job of communicating and talks about how all of the beta testing they've done with the delays have allowed them to make a better product and deliveries will now start in September, I don't think anyone reasonably thinks he means insider only deliveries will start in September and we'll just continue beta testing and deliver the final product starting in March of 2022. That's just not a reasonable interpretation and I struggle to find a way that someone could think that it is. I don't want to believe that RJ willfully lied or attempted to mislead and I'm not suggesting that he did. I don't think the delay means he's a bad guy or Rivian's a bad company - I'm still super stoked to get my R1S. Granted it'll be May-June 2022 (I hope) vs. early 2021 but I can live with that. I just don't think it serves anyone well to sweep the delays under the rug and call them anything less than what they are - they're delays. Whether caused by the pandemic or overly optimistic engineers, faulty tonneau covers, workforce shortage, chip shortage, act of god, or whatever else. And I agree everyone needs relax - just as it serves no one well to ignore the delays, it also doesn't serve anyone well to harp about it every 5 minutes. I look forward to getting my R1S next May-June and hopefully that date will happen and it'll be worth the wait and the price.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Aren’t launch edition and adventure optioned the same? I have
Just got off the phone with CS. They confirmed that info would be going out to non-LE pre-order holders about delivery time windows by the end of 2021. He then said deliveries for R1T Adventure package are slated to begin in March 2022.

My config: R1T Adventure package, white, 20” AT, NO off-road package, order date June 2021
Do you have the Max Pack? I don't see how they can delivery any adventure package R1Ts in March that aren't max pack, because anyone who would have reserved early enough to get a March delivery would have chosen the Launch Edition rather than Adventure since they're the same thing, but with LE having free wheel upgrades and exclusive LG paint.

I'm certain adventure package trucks delivered any time before summer are all max pack

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Amen, brother. I don't really get the histrionics either. Rivian originally indicated a start to customer vehicle production in December 2020, but were delayed due to the pandemic until September 2021. I think that's actually pretty good for a startup auto manufacturer - only 9 months behind schedule due to the pandemic. They were clear that it would take months after the first customer vehicles rolled off the line to ramp up to delivering trucks at scale. Rivian also was clear that multiple factors (configuration, customer location, service network status) would impact the delivery schedule. Rivian never promised that they would do any better than they have.
Many people have projected their own expectations onto the delivery schedule, but Rivian's actions are pretty much right in line with what they laid out in the S1. The only real cause for complaint here is that we, the customers, have had to pick through the S1 for guidance that Rivian should have been able to share with us directly.
I pre-ordered a LE R1T (El Cap, Black Mountain, 20"AT) on 11/26/2018. I'm scheduled for a Mar-Apr 2022 delivery window. I'm okay with that.
I think it’s a little easier to relax once you have a date. Most of us don’t. I’ll stay cool until I hear something official at the end of December. Then it’ll be time to ponder the future.

As for what was communicated in the S1, keep in mind that the first version from just a couple months ago said they’d ship 45K cars THIS YEAR, which was subsequently whittled down to just 10K. It is what it is, and I get all the challenges, but clearly got some hopes up with that very recent miscalculation/ head fake.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I think it’s a little easier to relax once you have a date. Most of us don’t. I’ll stay cool until I hear something official at the end of December. Then it’ll be time to ponder the future.

As for what was communicated in the S1, keep in mind that the first version from just a couple months ago said they’d ship 45K cars THIS YEAR, which was subsequently whittled down to just 10K. It is what it is, and I get all the challenges, but clearly got some hopes up with that very recent miscalculation/ head fake.
Actually it was whittled down to around 1,000.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I'm not sure that's correct. From what I remember, the initial S1 indicated that there were 48,000 preorders and that they expected to clear their backlog by the end of 2022.

We haven't actually seen anything to indicate that's not still the case. If people with 9/21 preorders get a delivery estimate of Q2 2023, then you can certainly make that leap.

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
I'm not sure that's correct. From what I remember, the initial S1 indicated that there were 48,000 preorders and that they expected to clear their backlog by the end of 2022.
I believe the most recent S1 indicated a clearance of the preorders by 2023, not 2022. Per the S1, “Based on our current production forecast, we expect to fill our preorder backlog of approximately 55,400 R1 vehicles by the end of 2023.”

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1874178/000119312521321716/d157488ds1a.htm

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Im actually somewhat encouraged by some of the dates I've seen. It looks like a lot of 11/20 R1T preorders are getting deliveries that are late spring 2022 and those are probably the very tail end of the LE, which means that a non-LE R1T could realistically see delivery in late summer early fall '22. I also don't think preorder numbers are very linear, with 3 big spikes (launch, configurator live, early September '21 press blitz) and relatively flat in between so it wouldn't surprise me if there are not a huge number of preorders entered between 11/20 and 9/21.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
…yes and they’re going to push all max pack R1T’s in Limestone with FE interior to the front of the line, right? Easy to speculate. So I’ll just wait for my email.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech

We haven't actually seen anything to indicate that's not still the case. If people with 9/21 preorders get a delivery estimate of Q2 2023, then you can certainly make that leap.
Frankly I’ve lost track. This may be right. What I recall was thinking it was highly probable that a 2020 non LE order could get delivery in mid 2022 only to have that dashed by the idea that production would be way lower and that only LE would be prioritized to now thinking that they may surprise back to the upside. Who the hell knows. I’m just going to wait for my contact in December and see.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Watching these threads is akin to watching a kid lick cookie dough off a beater still attached to a plugged-in mixer.

...you know what's going to happen... sooner or later...

Kids tongue got sucked into the mixer about halfway into page one here.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian CS: R1T Adventure Package deliveries start March 2022. Non-LE pre-order holder delivery window emails coming by end of year Fry licking his lips

At any rate, do I think non-LE models will roll off the line in March and head to customers? I give it a fair shake, especially "Adventure, non-Max Pack" ones... since those are almost 1:1 "LE" trucks minus some minor branding and the opportunity on a paint colour.

Do I think Explorer or Max Pack trucks will show up in March? ...no, but am curious to see what comes out communication wise around this at the end of this CY.

Reactions: Guy

Jferreira65

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan gts
I must be one of the few that is somewhat surprised (though also not surprised) that so many are up in arms about the last 24 hours. Things are largely still on track with their long-standing guidance, just a couple extra months to complete LE R1S, but it looks like most are still scheduled to be delivered by end of Spring as projected.

Rivian has been saying for months that LE would be delivered in Spring 2022, and that is basically what they are doing (looks entirely true for R1T and a couple months extra for R1S which is a rounding error). While many may have assumed they might receive their vehicle sooner than they are, they never actually said you would (outside of a handful test mules on guide calls, which were never actually real and regardless have nothing to do with the whole), and the S1 clearly said non-employees wouldn't receive it this year. So, if you're being honest with yourself, virtually nobody had any reason to believe they were getting a vehicle materially earlier than the window they were just provided based on actual communications from Rivian (again, other than the handful of test mules). You can scream and point fingers all you want, but that's the truth.

You can make the case that Rivian could have managed expectations better, and maybe they could have and maybe they couldn't, but the fact remains that ultimately people are also responsible for their own expectations. That being said, I expect very few will actually admit it.

I thought yesterday's news was positive and right in line with what expectations should have been. I know for me (early summer R1S) it was spot on with what I've assumed.
I disagree. As an R1S regular preorder who placed an order fairly early on, I was fully expecting regular preorders of the r1s to begin deliveries in January because that’s what customer service kept telling me. Now it seems more than likely that regular preorders likely won’t start well into next year or even after a majority of LEs are delivered. So my estimated delivery of Q1 2022, is looking more like Q1 2023, and if that’s what I’m told in December(assuming they don’t miss yet another self imposed deadline), I will more than likely cancel.

Jferreira65

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan gts

Based on how many times their self imposed deadlines, even if I got a date window, I’m not sure how much I’d actually trust it. Lol

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
At this point all one can do is wait, as we've been doing, but where the early Max Pack R1T orders fit in I have no idea.

My best guess is 2-3 months after we see people actually start to get their LE R1T's.

And some LE R1T preorders are still set January/February from what ive seen.

So April-June?
Sponsored