First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
F... the truck.. thank god the human survived! If they had parked two more feet back this could have had a completely different and tragic outcome.
Sponsored

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
F... the truck.. thank god the human survived! If they had parked two more feet back this could have had a completely different and tragic outcome.
I didn’t know there was anybody in the truck. That is horrifying! If you look at the front seat from that picture, it was only a few inches from disaster. Oh, and NY_Rob, I agree with your initial sentiment.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ according to the followup news report this morning there was a "young girl" in the truck when the tree fell on it. She sustained "minor injuries".

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
i bet the tree owner probably asked loads of times to have the tree removed (for this reason) but was told "no" by the green agenda in CA.

Bob R1T

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S
Occupation
architect
Clubs

Saw this on the NBC nightly news and managed to track down the Saratoga county (California) Twitter account where it was originally posted. Looks like the latest storm dropped a tree on a yellow R1T :(

1000012503.jpg
1000012501.jpg

1000012501.jpg

1000012506.jpg

1000012500.jpg
It looks as tho the tree in actually in the back seat! Let's ride!

Sponsored

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
IMG_7523.jpeg
Story says a young girl was sitting in the front passenger seat when it fell. Out of hospital and ok. Just a few feet from disaster.
The strength of the B pillar saved her life. Based on crash performance, Rivian should be the new Volvo.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
i bet the tree owner probably asked loads of times to have the tree removed (for this reason) but was told "no" by the green agenda in CA.
Can't speak to CA approach, but here in the Pacific Northwest - the local authorities are very responsive to arborist recommendations to remove trees. If the city / town ignores those recommendations which can later be proven, the local authority become liable (which I believe has happened). We have our trees inspected every year or so and have removed a few specifically out of concern for safety.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Tree looked healthy. No dead limbs, no central rot. Are we certain there wasn't just a bunch of anti-green folks standing next to the tree to push it over? In fact, where were you at the time when the tree fell?

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The strength of the B pillar saved her life. Based on crash performance, Rivian should be the new Volvo.
I'm confused because it looks like the only thing that saved the girl was that the girl was in the front. If she had been in the rear she would have been crushed.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

I think everyone is happy 1. No injuries and 2. The Rivian didn’t catch fire. Cause if it did catch fire the news cycle would be 24/7 on how unsafe EVs are when they hit by 30 ton trees.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I assume nobody was injured in that R1T? That is the most important thing.

Damn shame it was a CY - and another one bites the dust.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I would never wish that on anyone, but if my R1T was going to get totaled, I would rather it be from a tree that absolutely destroys it, then from a flipping "Honda Bump..."

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
How is this wild speculation even relevant? We need an 🙄 emoji react.
Relevant because it's CA (I live about 5 miles from where this happened) and here there are plenty of folks who think cutting a tree is akin to treason.

Wanna know why the wild fires are often so bad (or worse than they should be)? Because of all the kindling, dried wood and deadwood, plus lack of fire breaks. Reason... the Greens think you shouldn't harm a single tree so forest management is poor.

Next anecdote for you: I live in a area where there are lots of tall tree. Some are Redwoods. A few neighbors have asked to have trees felled because of potential damage to property. City said "no". A big storm later and said tree falls on roof, a large limb falls into my gate (would have put a dent in anyone's head) and only then do the City admit we had a point. When a few of us said if future trees damage our property, the City will get a bill from us, did they then accept it might be worthwhile to remove some trees (some were rotten).

Now it appears from the photo this tree wasn't rotten, but neither was this a Cat 5 hurricane. So if you have any large trees that you suspect could do damage, best get them checked out.

Happy?
Sponsored