Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Not sure what you're implying, but the Rivian OEM ones are made by Yakima.
Oh did not know Yakima makes them. Ok but have you read R1S crossbar reviews. Lots of wind noise complaints.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Oh did not know Yakima makes them. Ok but have you read R1S crossbar reviews. Lots of wind noise complaints.
Yes, but this whole thread is about how cheap and easy it is to fix...

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Have you used cross bars before? Both Yakima and Thule make t-slot bars, and these are always going to have some wind noise because you have air flow over the slot. (In fact, anything that disturbs the airflow is going to make noise.) With the R1S the wind noise is noticeable because the bars are mounted right above the driver and because of the glass roof. With the cross bars over the bed of the R1T, you don't hear anything because the bars are further away and because there is less airflow over the bed. The standard way of reducing this noise has always been to fill the slot, or use an air deflector / fairing on the front bar. I don't need a video to tell me that ... the only useful bit of information is the exact product he used, but there are many many many options.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Have you used cross bars before? Both Yakima and Thule make t-slot bars, and these are always going to have some wind noise because you have air flow over the slot. (In fact, anything that disturbs the airflow is going to make noise.) With the R1S the wind noise is noticeable because the bars are mounted right above the driver and because of the glass roof. With the cross bars over the bed of the R1T, you don't hear anything because the bars are further away and because there is less airflow over the bed. The standard way of reducing this noise has always been to fill the slot, or use an air deflector / fairing on the front bar. I don't need a video to tell me that ... the only useful bit of information is the exact product he used, but there are many many many options.
Yea I've used them in the past. Have them on current car, no wind noise but they are not directly above front seats so you may have a point there.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Crossbar Whistling solved w/ cheap fix product 20221231_205659

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Please watch the updated video

Dude, you installed the rubber channel cover upside down. Turn it over with the two channel support down and there's no need to fill it with caulk.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Dude, you installed the rubber channel cover upside down. Turn it over with the two channel support down and there's no need to fill it with caulk.
Can confirm. OP showed upside-down install. Which means the channel cover is, unfortunately, the wrong size. After receiving mine and discovering this, etrailer gives peanuts on the return. Not worth it. I contacted them about which infill/cover might be right and they have no idea. They don't carry the Rivian crossbars so they can't confirm fit. I'm going to try the upside-down install tomorrow just to see if it helps. I'll let you know.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

update?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Zero improvement with that infill. It doesn't match the t-slot unless it's installed upside down in which case it doesn't cover the top of the channel. Sorry for the delayed response - was on vaca for a couple of weeks and just getting caught up.

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

Hope you guys figure this out. I just used duct tape during ski season. Got about 20 mins into my first drive with them, and immediately hit a Walgreens for tape. Night and day difference. Still holding up. Wife thought I was crazy, but when we got back on the highway, there’s no arguing with results.

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Hope you guys figure this out. I just used duct tape during ski season. Got about 20 mins into my first drive with them, and immediately hit a Walgreens for tape. Night and day difference. Still holding up. Wife thought I was crazy, but when we got back on the highway, there’s no arguing with results.
I've thought about trying clear packing tape but haven't yet. Can online confirm that rubber infill is the wrong size and had zero impact.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

this is $10 and fits well. I put it in (without removing the tape backing). fits well. have the crossbars but R1S is still in transit from Normal, so can't say if / how well it works on noise. I'll upload Pic when I get back from a trip later today.

10 feet Weather Seal Strip, Marine Weather Stripping - MD Building Products 01033 https://a.co/d/dp2RgmW

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I completely forgot to reply to this: the Yakima top infill does fit. Pic attached.

I keep my bars over the bed, but I just moved them to the roof for testing. I'll let y'all know.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Crossbar Whistling solved w/ cheap fix product 1000008063

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I completely forgot to reply to this: the Yakima top infill does fit. Pic attached.

I keep my bars over the bed, but I just moved them to the roof for testing. I'll let y'all know.

1000008063.jpg
So, I'm replying to myself.

My wife and I didn't hear any whistling, we just heard the rush of the air over the crossbars.

YMMV and don't shoot the messenger if they don't work out, but I'm happy with the "mod". Relatively cheap and easy to install (with silicone spray) and 100% reversible.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
So, I'm replying to myself.

My wife and I didn't hear any whistling, we just heard the rush of the air over the crossbars.

YMMV and don't shoot the messenger if they don't work out, but I'm happy with the "mod". Relatively cheap and easy to install (with silicone spray) and 100% reversible.
If you look at the video review, the rubber strip is designed to fit the Jetstream CB with the ridges down. I'm wondering if it would fit the Rivian this way instead of being up.
Sponsored