Sponsored

Rivian Could Be on the Brink of a Huge Rally: Why It's a Buy Now (according to Motley Fool)

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
https://www.fool.com/investing/2023/03/21/rivian-could-be-on-the-brink-of-a-huge-rally-why-i/

As someone who recently went long on Rivian stock, I sure hope this assessment is accurate. Hoping that increased production rate, beginning deliveries of dual motor and Max Pack variants, and post-price increase orders making up a larger portion of deliveries will all conspire to significantly reduce the per vehicle "loss" and begin to change Wall St's tune.

I read somewhere that, at this point during the Model 3 production ramp, Tesla was already making an operating profit. I'm no expert, but that seems like apples and oranges. If I recall, Tesla had about six years of Model S/X sales by that point, and it was scaling production capacity along with production (remember the extra "tent" they built in Fremont during "production hell"?) By contrast, Rivian started sales with the capacity to produce 150,000 units a year at Normal, hence a lot more overhead to soak up during production ramp.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think Rivian getting through their backlog of price-protected pre-orders is going to be the most important thing to their future profitability.

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
I think Rivian getting through their backlog of price-protected pre-orders is going to be the most important thing to their future profitability.
No doubt that's important, but I'm not sure that's what's holding the stock back at the moment. Getting through the early orders is inevitable, but bending other parts of the cost curve while sustaining demand amidst increasing competition isn't. I'm optimistic since Rivian has a kick-ass product (niggling early adopter issues aside) and won't have to manage a transition away from ICE business.

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
Hopefully, this 12v battery issue going around is resolved soon and without impacting the stock.

Seems like the factory is churning out cars much faster lately!
That's my sense, too. My guess is they're eager to report Q1 numbers that are slightly ahead of pace for the annual forecast.

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Well if Motley Fool says so, then it must be true! Now just wait for Cramer and you've got the strongest 'buy' signal yet.

(N.B. please say you detected the sarcasm before you actually make an investment decision)

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
Sarcasm noted! Don't worry, I only base my investment decisions on my own poor instincts.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Well if Motley Fool says so, then it must be true! Now just wait for Cramer and you've got the strongest 'buy' signal yet.

(N.B. please say you detected the sarcasm before you actually make an investment decision)
Cramer already said to dump RIVN

Sponsored

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
Well folks I'm trying to help.....pick up my R1T tomorrow and paid full price. Can't wait.
Haha I'm trying to help too. Just confirmed yesterday for my full-price R1T with a lot of options.

I like Rivian a lot. I feel like they're hitting a segment that could be incredibly fruitful in the US and Canada. Look at how many Jeeps and 4Runners there are everywhere, even in Chicago! I really hope they succeed.

OP
OP

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law

Insight75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Pharmaceuticals
I'm a little confused about the EU and couldn't find much info. What is the plan to ramp up there?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I'm a little confused about the EU and couldn't find much info. What is the plan to ramp up there?
International sales (outside of Canada) will likely be well into the future because a) the R1T is too big for European markets and b) expansion will involve a lot of expense which they can ill afford until 2027.
Sponsored