Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The soft open tailgate though is a great feature.
Is it? Is there a pickup truck on the market that doesn't have a soft-open tailgate? I mean even the cheapest truck I can think of has that.

I can't bring myself to praise Rivian for removing a heavily marketed, great feature and replacing it with something that is so basic that it has been standard at every other manufacturer for 15+ years.
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Which again makes me wonder, why wouldn't the rear tailgate be powered, and the frunk simply be "soft close" to prevent hood damage?
Because a fully-opened frunk lid would be hard for shorter users to reach?

Lucid has postponed its power-operated passenger doors due to issues with sensor suppliers. I wonder if that's the reason Rivian canceled the power-operated tailgate. Sensors are less critical when opening a frunk lid than when opening something that could hit nearby objects.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Because a fully-opened frunk lid would be hard for shorter users to reach?

Lucid has postponed its power-operated passenger doors due to issues with sensor suppliers. I wonder if that's the reason Rivian canceled the power-operated tailgate. Sensors are less critical when opening a frunk lid than when opening something that could hit nearby objects.
Good points, but the powered frunk does check the box of an automated storage area that's truly hands free.

Honestly truck beds are meant to be used and abused, the hands free frunk and it's size makes this far less of an issue. Also with the air suspension load leveling could make the rear access of the R1T more convenient despite the lack of a power tailgate.

This was a feature I was really looking forward to, I have a feeling it'll soon be packaged into the R1T.

I'm already having flash backs to owning my Model S for only 5 months when they did the front end refresh and battery upgrade.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Honestly truck beds are meant to be used and abused, the hands free frunk and it's size makes this far less of an issue. Also with the air suspension load leveling could make the rear access of the R1T more convenient despite the lack of a power tailgate.
Has the frunk been confirmed hands-free? I thought it was powered, but not hands-free?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I'm already having flash backs to owning my Model S for only 5 months when they did the front end refresh and battery upgrade.
We must have bought our Tesla’s about the same time. I actually prefer the older nose cone, but that’s just personal preference. I was in the basket of paying for autopilot and then having to wait a couple of months to have it go live.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Has the frunk been confirmed hands-free? I thought it was powered, but not hands-free?
There is a button on the front of the vehicles, and they've demonstrated Alexa control. I assume there will be access via key fob & app, but we haven't seen that yet, and I would say voice/Alexa is your only truly hands free option.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There is a button on the front of the vehicles, and they've demonstrated Alexa control. I assume there will be access via key fob & app, but we haven't seen that yet, and I would say voice/Alexa is your only truly hands free option.
I'm guessing (I could be wrong) that you can't simply shout at the vehicle, from outside, and have it open the frunk. So realistically there is no hands-free option that matters. That's a shame.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm guessing (I could be wrong) that you can't simply shout at the vehicle, from outside, and have it open the frunk. So realistically there is no hands-free option that matters. That's a shame.
It would likely be via your phone & a wake word, not shouting at the vehicle itself.

But I would totally laugh at someone in a parking lot yelling at their car.

Alexa is definitely the most obedient member of my family, so hopefully that carries over to the Rivian.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

There is...Do you have Echo Frames, Echo Buds, Jabra65T, 75T, or 85Ts? Those all have Alexa built-in and are constantly listening for the wake word. If that isn't your thing, then you would be correct.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There is...Do you have Echo Frames, Echo Buds, Jabra65T, 75T, or 85Ts? Those all have Alexa built-in and are constantly listening for the wake word. If that isn't your thing, then you would be correct.
Definitely not my thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Definitely not my thing.
Maybe the Apple car will be more your thing. :CWL: "Hey Siri. Open the frunk." Siri, "I don't know that word"

I kid. This is your thing. You just have to OPEN your mind. EXPAND your horizons. Get OUTSIDE your box.

You may find that you actually like it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Maybe the Apple car will be more your thing. :CWL: "Hey Siri. Open the frunk." Siri, "I don't know that word"

I kid. This is your thing. You just have to OPEN your mind. EXPAND your horizons. Get OUTSIDE your box.

You may find that you actually like it.
You think I need to open my mind to paying more money for fewer features?

I'm really tired of comments like that. Honestly, I don't see how they're productive in any aspect of life.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I could see a possibility where you walk up with the key fob in your pocket and the Rivian automatically unlock all the doors. Which, in turn, could activate Alexa to listen for its wake word, which could be then used externally to open the frunk. I'd hope in the scenario, and most other security related commands your voice would have to match a registered user of the Rivian to execute hands free commands through Alexa. But it technically could be possible.

Maybe they'll even have external microphones for Alexa controls.
Sponsored