Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Well, a few end up complaining about everything.
Yeah, there are definitely those types.
If you're including me in that group, then I appologize that $90k is a lot of money for me, and I'm sorry that I care about how it's spent. One day I aspire to have so much money that it doesn't matter what I get in return for it. Until then...
Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Wow, it gets worse and worse. The more I hear, the less I think this has to do with complexity, cost, or parts availability. This is about removing as much as they can get away with while still selling out of their limited production capacity. A money grab.
At this point given the overall discrepancies in answers to various members here on a variety of topics, including the purpose of this thread on the power tailgate, I’m simply waiting for an official reveal and test drive to get my hands on it to confirm just about anything rather than rely on CS. As mentioned many times, their official communication has been abysmal and needs to be addressed. I certainly understand the change process for releasing a product, but the continued black box raises concerns, at least for me, which I have voiced to Rivian.

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
i like the convenience of a powered tailgate, but not the expense, especially when it breaks! it would be awesome to have a diy kit later on for those that do want to add it.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
The entitlement in this thread is pretty amazing - I imagine this thread is exactly why companies try to stay tight lipped about specifics. No one is owed anything at this point, you're free to pull your $1000 "investment" at any time. If you are worried about them delivering, or concerned about what you're hearing now, pull your reservation. Simple.

I suspect Rivian will have plenty of orders to keep them busy for awhile, even if a lot of folks are disappointed and end up not following through.

Wow, based on a number of these posts I feel like an oddball with my preferences.

My #1 priority is a BEV. If I couldn't get a BEV buying a brand new ICE is so far from what I'd do as a replacement. If I wasn't (hopefully) getting a R1S I'd be getting a used VW Atlas for like 30k. Instead I'm likely to drop 80-90k on a BEV.
Amen. I expect my current vehicle to be the last ICE car I own. I'm happy to pay a premium for a BEV that fills a niche that no other BEV in the market does right now, and suits our desires for our next vehicle perfectly.

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The entitlement in this thread is pretty amazing - I imagine this thread is exactly why companies try to stay tight lipped about specifics. No one is owed anything at this point, you're free to pull your $1000 "investment" at any time. If you are worried about them delivering, or concerned about what you're hearing now, pull your reservation. Simple.

I suspect Rivian will have plenty of orders to keep them busy for awhile, even if a lot of folks are disappointed and end up not following through.
I never understand responses like these. It's the same as people coming on and yelling 'first world problems'... like no kidding, we're all in line to buy an $80K truck.

People are allowed to have feelings, both positive and negative, about the company they're trying to support. That's literally what forums like these are about. I didn't see a single post where someone said they were "owed" anything by Rivian, as you claim. What people are expressing is a disappointment and reduction in perceived value for the money they're about to spend.

Everyone knows that they can pull out their deposit if they feel like. And we all know that our spots will be quickly filled by others. Again, just a cop out of a statement.

If companies never received any negative or constructive feedback, we'd be in a very strange world. Rivian deserves both praise and criticism. That's how things are improved, customers are elated, and success is both created and measured.

We are indeed "entitled" to both our opinions and feelings. We know where the exit is, and some will eventually take it if that's the decision they come to.

Telling people that if you don't like it, just leave, does a disservice to every forum member who is contributing genuine, and useful, feedback.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
For example, when the 180 degree tailgate was dropped, an obvious compromise was add some indentations to the bumper so you can use them as steps. Competitors have this. But Rivian does not appear to have done this.

It’d be easier to come to terms with some of these changes if they were better communicated AND Rivian adapted rather than simply removed.
Isn't the gear tunnel designed as step into the bed? None of us have had a chance to crawl around on the truck, so I can't say how effective of a step. But that is another purpose the gear tunnel was created to serve.

My gripe isn't so much that they killed x, y, and z. It is that they aren't communicating it. We are doing the research and asking the questions. Hit us w/ those details. Good and bad. We are all essentially investing in Rivian. Let your investors know. Weekly or bi-weekly updates. One or two paragraphs. Nothing crazy.
It's not just a lack of communication, but conflicting information. The charging speed is a great example. RJ is on video at the last public event in 2020 stating that the vehicles have 300kW peak charging. The preliminary RAN charging station diagrams that were leaked support 900v and 300kW peak sustained charging. Rivian's patent suggests they have a technology that could support 900v charging with a 450v system. However, as many have pointed out, Rivian lists a charging speed for RAN ("capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes") that is consistent with 150kW charging speed. Have they backed off 300kW charging?

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's not just a lack of communication, but conflicting information. The charging speed is a great example. RJ is on video at the last public event in 2020 stating that the vehicles have 300kW peak charging. The preliminary RAN charging station diagrams that were leaked support 900v and 300kW peak charging. Rivian's patent suggests they have a technology that could support 900v charging with a 450v system. However, as many have pointed out, Rivian lists a charging speed for RAN ("capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes") that is consistent with 150kW charging speed. Have they backed off 300kW charging?[/USER]
Don't confuse peak with average charge rate. We still know nothing about the Rivian's charge profile including for how long it is able to support peak charge rate and how it tapers off from there.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
I never understand responses like these. It's the same as people coming on and yelling 'first world problems'... like no kidding, we're all in line to buy an $80K truck.

People are allowed to have feelings, both positive and negative, about the company they're trying to support. That's literally what forums like these are about. I didn't see a single post where someone said they were "owed" anything by Rivian, as you claim. What people are expressing is a disappointment and reduction in perceived value for the money they're about to spend.

Everyone knows that they can pull out their deposit if they feel like. And we all know that our spots will be quickly filled by others. Again, just a cop out of a statement.

If companies never received any negative or constructive feedback, we'd be in a very strange world. Rivian deserves both praise and criticism. That's how things are improved, customers are elated, and success is both created and measured.

We are indeed "entitled" to both our opinions and feelings. We know where the exit is, and some will eventually take it if that's the decision they come to.

Telling people that if you don't like it, just leave, does a disservice to every forum member who is contributing genuine, and useful, feedback.
I agree, my initial post came off a bit harsh. Of course people are entitled to share opinions/provide feedback, it just honestly seems like many of these threads are essentially people talking into the void about things they're sad that have been changed, or wishing they had more communication from Rivian - you're certainly allowed to do so, I just doubt it's an effective pathway to voice those opinions.

To be honest, I'm not sure "feedback" we're providing right now is of much use to Rivian - as long as they have customers in line, that's basically all the feedback they need for these initial stages. Besides, for some of the changes that have been uncovered, I'm not sure there is consensus one way or another, further confusing the message to anyone from Rivian who might be trying to glean useful feedback.

For example, shifting back to the OP - the powered tailgate is of minimal value to me, and it's removal I might even view as a slight net-positive given the likely increased reliability/lower maintenance costs. But the use of caps in the thread title makes it sound like it's a huge deal - perhaps not everyone feels that way?

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am also dissapointed in the lack of communications, mainly because at this point there can be no major features to add or delete for the initial deliveries. I have a Hummer EV reservation, in addition to my Rivian reservation. Each and every month since October, whn i placed the reservation, GMC sends me an email with a video highlighting some features of the Hummer. The video includes a person explaining the details of the feature. That is what marketing is all about.

Fortunately for me, I did not select an LE, so I can wait until June to see what Rivian is actually delivering.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
For example, shifting back to the OP - the powered tailgate is of minimal value to me, and it's removal I might even view as a slight net-positive given the likely increased reliability/lower maintenance costs. But the use of caps in the thread title makes it sound like it's a huge deal - perhaps not everyone feels that way?
Perhaps it's a huge deal to the OP. He/She can express this how they'd like, and you're free to disagree with the net impact to you. But saying they should just get their deposit back and leave is like me telling my buddy that I will no longer be friends with them because of something they did that I didn't agree with. That's not how life works. We can voice dissatisfaction with Rivian, while still being friends with them.

Additionally, the powered tailgate is something that Rivian CS had confirmed would still be included as recent as a couple of months ago (even after they killed the 180 tailgate), so this is a relatively significant change for many people, especially those that see value in having it and were told it would be included. If it was valuable to someone, it's one additional item that they have now taken away, and those people feel like they're getting less for their money than they were originally, and recently, told they would.

From your perspective, it's a net gain, which is great.

Sponsored

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Perhaps it's a huge deal to the OP. He/She can express this how they'd like, and you're free to disagree with the net impact to you. But saying they should just get their deposit back and leave is like me telling my buddy that I will no longer be friends with them because of something they did that I didn't agree with. That's not how life works. We can voice dissatisfaction with Rivian, while still being friends with them.
Yep - totally free to express their opinion. I'm viewing the pulling deposit option as a way to actually send a signal to Rivian of your dissatisfaction, as opposed to talking into the void that may or may not be actually followed by anyone at Rivian.

Additionally, the powered tailgate is something that Rivian CS had confirmed would still be included as recent as a couple of months ago (even after they killed the 180 tailgate), so this is a relatively significant change for many people, especially those that see value in having it and were told it would be included. If it was valuable to someone, it's one additional item that they have now taken away, and those people feel like they're getting less for their money than they were originally, and recently, told they would.

From your perspective, it's a net gain, which is great.
At the end of the day, I think I just see being in line to pay $70-90k as way different than someone who is actually committed to buying the product (the refundable deposit most of us have put down doesn't qualify IMO) or someone who has a vehicle in hand. Rivian can't possibly please everyone, and once the final specs are announced folks will have to decide if the value proposition is there for them.

To look at things a bit more cynically, given the institutional investment and the fact that the pre-order line is full, what signals or incentives are there for Rivian to change what they're doing? Seems like the market has spoken strongly in support of their approach, smaller details be damned.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Rivian is making a series of business decisions on what to bring to market. We are not (and never will be) privy to the information Rivian is using to make these decisions.

At some point I will make a business decision on whether or not to purchase.

I'm not committed mentally, emotionally nor financially at this point. Actually nobody has a financial commitment at this point, but ....

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Yep - totally free to express their opinion. I'm viewing the pulling deposit option as a way to actually send a signal to Rivian of your dissatisfaction, as opposed to talking into the void that may or may not be actually followed by anyone at Rivian.
For sure. That may end up being the only way to get our views across, but I hope not. I think a lot of us are holding out hope that they're still listening to the folks that have supported them for several years now. I'm certainly still believing that's the type of company they are, but nobody really knows since their communication is so poor.

To look at things a bit more cynically, given the institutional investment and the fact that the pre-order line is full, what signals or incentives are there for Rivian to change what they're doing? Seems like the market has spoken strongly in support of their approach, smaller details be damned.
Agreed. The market and money has certainly spoken. Much of my concern is that the cynical perspective you laid out might actually be taking hold. I'm a firm believer that in the end, it's the small details to the customer that can make or break a company. Even one valued at $50B.

Time will tell, as they say. For now, I still want to believe that they take customer feedback into consideration, and that they monitor things like forums, reddit, facebook etc., to learn what their customers are really thinking.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Time will tell, as they say. For now, I still want to believe that they take customer feedback into consideration, and that they monitor things like forums, reddit, facebook etc., to learn what their customers are really thinking.
I think the problem with going this route is you often are going to be over-representing people who are unhappy (and maybe even hearing from the most unhappy of the unhappy potential customers), and that may not actually be reflective of total sentiment. For example, I'm not going to create a thread saying "Overall, I'm neutral to happy to see the removal of the powered tailgate". This "representation bias" makes the job of someone trying to parse through feedback on social media very difficult.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
At the end of the day, I think I just see being in line to pay $70-90k as way different than someone who is actually committed to buying the product (the refundable deposit most of us have put down doesn't qualify IMO) or someone who has a vehicle in hand. Rivian can't possibly please everyone, and once the final specs are announced folks will have to decide if the value proposition is there for them.
While I am not faulting your approach, it is important to recognize that purchasing a new vehicle - let alone one of the most anticipated BEVs - is an emotional experience for most folks. We get excited about the features, run the value proposition calculations, see ourselves in the vehicles, pore over the scant scraps on details thrown our way, make plans for what we're going to do in our Rivians, figure out how to pay for it, how to dispose of our current vehicle, etc. It's just human tendency to build up some expectation around the experience; on the other hand, it's normal to expect features to change as well.

I think the problem with going this route is you often are going to be over-representing people who are unhappy (and maybe even hearing from the most unhappy of the unhappy potential customers), and that may not actually be reflective of total sentiment. For example, I'm not going to create a thread saying "Overall, I'm neutral to happy to see the removal of the powered tailgate". This "representation bias" makes the job of someone trying to parse through feedback on social media very difficult.
You're right, and this is important for everyone to remember. There is a lot of stuff going right for the Rivian. It's still a badass vehicle. Some of these feature removals might be dealbreakers, or they just might push the value proposition down. But it's still a quad-motor 300+mile range truck/SUV with luxury level interiors and above-average software.
Sponsored