Sponsored

Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

I am out of town this week and do not have access to window sticker. I will check when I get home and reply. I picked up our R1S on March 14th. I don't know if Rivian made an announcement about the sound system change prior to March 14th. When we picked up the R1S, I noticed that the speaker covers were a different color. They are silver. I thought the speaker covers in my R1T (Nov22 delivery) were black. Upon closer inspection, the R1T Meridian covers are a darker silver. When we drove the R1S, I thought the sound system seemed different. There isn't as much bass. I thought it was because the R1S has such a larger cab than the R1T. I didn't find out the sound system had been downgraded and the two speakers eliminated from the rear doors until I read it on this forum. I asked my guide if I had a Meridian sound system in the R1S and he reported to me that I did not. The Meridian sound system is my favorite part of the truck. It sounds amazing. The R1S sounds good too. It just isn't as good in my opinion. I felt that it would be reasonable that someone at the Rivian plant would mention the sound system change when I picked up the R1S in Normal. Several people on this forum feel that I have unreasonable expectations.

I ordered both vehicles in March of 2019. I was so excited about them and followed Rivian online. I bought the max shares offered in the IPO. I told all my friends about them for a couple years. In retrospect, I think I was too enthusiastic about the vehicles. Waiting four years while you watch cool items about the vehicles slowly be eliminated is disappointing. People on this Forum seem to think I am a "Karen". Perhaps that is true. Perhaps they are correct that Rivian can do whatever they want and I should be grateful to be their customer and keep my opinions to myself.

The key thing to remember in my opinion is:
  1. No Obligations
    Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.

These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivian’s standard final Rivian Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (“Final Sales Agreement”) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (“Your Selected Vehicle”). The Final Sales Agreement may be made with another Rivian entity. Additional payment for Your Selected Vehicle, including taxes and other governmental fees, will be required at that time.

7. Vehicle Configuration and Battery Range
    You understand that we may not have completed the development of the Vehicle or begun manufacturing the Vehicle at the time of your Preorder and specifications are subject to change at any time. You understand battery range and other available features have not yet been determined and may change, even after features are announced. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us that you understand that the Vehicle configuration may change prior to execution of any Final Sales Agreement.
Don't take delivery if everything doesn't meet you expectations. I am not sure how close a service center is to you. The nearest for me is 3 hours away. Rivian wants me to bring back my R1S to Normal to have a stained removed from the ceiling above the driver. When I took the vehicle, we pointed out the stain. The person who worked with us on the delivery said Rivian would come to our house to clean it. Now they want me to drive 3 hours to Normal. I am going to have it detailed at a local shop. It is not worth fighting with Rivian. The whole experience has been disappointing. Rivian was not willing to send service to my house to repair issues on my R1T either. Others on this forum report great service. I have not had that experience.

Good luck.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anyone else impressed by how fast Rivian can engineer and launch cost-cutting measures relative to how fast they can launch refinements, features, gear, etc.?

They used the Meridian system for like 9 months before somehow engineering an entirely new, in-house audio system that they launched immediately to production? It was already in their production line (February) and being delivered before they could even get the communication out about it (March 20)!

Meanwhile we've been waiting a year for a refined tonneau cover, the manual cover, the kitchen and shuttle, etc.

I definitely think it's entirely reasonable that Rivian should be informing buyers of changes they've made since a reservation was placed. It's one thing to be a plugged-in forum user that is aware of every minor change they make, but for most people, they might be planning/expecting things when they put in a reservation (e.g. tonneau cover, kitchen, meridian sound, outlets in certain places, etc.) and it's pretty shitty to just stealth remove/change features for long-time buyers.

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

I agree with you. I think they need to work on their communications. From day one, their communication to reservation holders has been terrible. I am hoping they can build a brand following like Apple or Tesla. I know they have financial issues but alienating their most loyal customers doesn't seem like a good plan. I think the WSJ had an article about Rivian alienating its early reservation holds a few weeks ago. Worst case is they go bankrupt. Rivian still has a lot of value, they could be sold in bankruptcy. Perhaps the new buyer would have more expertise in auto production.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone else impressed by how fast Rivian can engineer and launch cost-cutting measures relative to how fast they can launch refinements, features, gear, etc.?

They used the Meridian system for like 9 months before somehow engineering an entirely new, in-house audio system that they launched immediately to production? It was already in their production line (February) and being delivered before they could even get the communication out about it (March 20)!

Meanwhile we've been waiting a year for a refined tonneau cover, the manual cover, the kitchen and shuttle, etc.

I definitely think it's entirely reasonable that Rivian should be informing buyers of changes they've made since a reservation was placed. It's one thing to be a plugged-in forum user that is aware of every minor change they make, but for most people, they might be planning/expecting things when they put in a reservation (e.g. tonneau cover, kitchen, meridian sound, outlets in certain places, etc.) and it's pretty shitty to just stealth remove/change features for long-time buyers.
Everything indicates that they did not engineer an entirely new in-house audio system. All indications so far (and all Rivian has actually stated) is that it's an in-house designed system. Designed can mean a lot of things. I get it that sounds impressive, but it could be the existing Meridian hardware, take out a speaker, change the grilles - that's in-house designed compare to what Meridian designed. The cost cutting could simply come from the end of a per unit branding/royalty agreement.

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Everything indicates that they did not engineer an entirely new in-house audio system. All indications so far (and all Rivian has actually stated) is that it's an in-house designed system. Designed can mean a lot of things. I get it that sounds impressive, but it could be the existing Meridian hardware, take out a speaker, change the grilles - that's in-house designed compare to what Meridian designed. The cost cutting could simply come from the end of a per unit branding/royalty agreement.
Still, I would expect it to be nontrivial to source components and setup the supply line, rework the electronics and wiring since there's a different number of speakers, develop the software to control both different systems, tune it for the vehicle, run user studies, deploy to the assembly line, etc.

Unless they were planning to only do a short run of Meridian vehicles and the in-house system has been on their roadmap since before the R1 launch, I'm surprised that they decided to make the change, and did all the engineering+productionizing+testing+etc. in just a few months.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

But the Rivian audio system goes to 11

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Don't take delivery if everything doesn't meet you expectations.
I actually was asked to sign to accept delivery before really getting a chance to inspect my R1S. I did, but only because being my second Rivian I knew what I was getting myself into. I don't know if mentioning that to my delivery guy made the order of operations different. I knew about the potential for the audio system differences but expected mine to still have Meridian based on the VIN. (It does)

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I took delivery yesterday and have the "Rivian" sound system. I can't imagine a single person, wannabe audiophile or not, rejecting delivery because of the sound system. It sounds great!

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I took delivery yesterday and have the "Rivian" sound system. I can't imagine a single person, wannabe audiophile or not, rejecting delivery because of the sound system. It sounds great!
Rivian probably figures if people were so willing to take trucks with busted tonneau covers with forever before they fix them, what are odds anyone would care about a sound system?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
A name presentable to a customer/consumer means a lot.

Ever wonder why some store brand ketchup tastes just as good as the "real thing" cause... Yeah white labeling maked it the real thing. A name brand selling the same product without labeling to another company to label at a discounted price. Does it hurt the name brand sales, no not really. Does it allow for a more accurate perfect pricing strategy to get everyone to pay what they are able/willing, yeah closer. Basic economic theory at play. I'd bet once a backlog is worked through they could sell the "premium name brand experience" for an extra charge. Bet the legal manufacturers have been doing that for decades and no one talks about it cause they aren't the "cool kids".
There are also things like Dolby THX where there is a certification. So to a consumer it feels like your buying something PROVEN.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Companies can act fast when Revenue is at stake. Or maybe it was simply a way to improve profitability.

On the plus side at least the new Audio system was working on par (feature wise) with the old one.

If it was Tesla the audio system wouldn't be available until 6 months after they shipped the new version. :p

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Companies can act fast when Revenue is at stake. Or maybe it was simply a way to improve profitability.

On the plus side at least the new Audio system was working on par (feature wise) with the old one.

If it was Tesla the audio system wouldn't be available until 6 months after they shipped the new version. :p
And slow when the action is a cost like 15k tonneau covers that need to be replaced.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree with you. I think they need to work on their communications. From day one, their communication to reservation holders has been terrible. I am hoping they can build a brand following like Apple or Tesla. I know they have financial issues but alienating their most loyal customers doesn't seem like a good plan. I think the WSJ had an article about Rivian alienating its early reservation holds a few weeks ago. Worst case is they go bankrupt. Rivian still has a lot of value, they could be sold in bankruptcy. Perhaps the new buyer would have more expertise in auto production.
If it’s the “article” including the guy who got his Rivian stuck in the snow and didn’t know about snow mode and then blamed Rivian for it - I’m not surprised at all you are a fan…..

There was also an “article” about Rivian alienating it’s fans that linked to the other thread in this forum about the stereo system change. Also not surprised you might be a fan of that one…

“alienating” a small percentage of people that are always looking for reasons to be alienated is not newsworthy.

You claimed you might pursue legal action against Rivian and keep wishing them into bankruptcy because they dared to check your privilege by changing components in your vehicle without your explicit approval. Changes you didn’t even notice until reading about them weeks later :CWL:
Sponsored