Sponsored

Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
I guess no-one really cares that tank turn is missing.
If they gave us tank turn, there'd be a bunch of threads here about how bad tread life is, or how bad Rivians are on tearing up the environment.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If they gave us tank turn, there'd be a bunch of threads here about how bad tread life is, or how bad Rivians are on tearing up the environment.
I only plan to use it outside the environment.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Exactly. And whining about how Rivian wouldn’t reimburse them for using up an entire set of tires in one tank turn session.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
guess no-one really cares that tank turn is missing.
As soon as the tank turn video appeared, many were skeptical (including me) that it would ever show up in a production vehicle, and Rivian never committed/documented that it was a new feature coming to production. Just because they show a video and have a patent doesn't mean it's a feature being delivered. Kia had a commercial showing a car launching into flight from an aircraft carrier - is that bait and switch also?

Tank turn will never appear on the R1 series unless someone hacks it.

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
I picked up a new R1T at the Normal plant before Thanksgiving. I ordered….
Hey Tim,

Have you actually asked Rivian for a refund?

I’m sure they’d take the vehicle off your hands given how unhappy you are.

Agree with other posters it’s odd the sound wasn’t immediately obvious. It’s basically one of the first things I test in a new car.

And a heads up to avoid Tesla for your new car if you don’t like major hardware changes without notice, and a complete inability to negotiate and communicate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
He didn't even know there was a difference until it was pointed out to him. That pretty much says it all IMHO.
If the OP thought the audio systems were initially the same, they’d be initially biased towards ignoring any differences they thought they might have heard.

I am very busy, and the OP probably is as well. Nobody wants to spend time looking for flaws, but I’m still finding issues with my R1S months after delivery. I bought my car to *save* me time. I didn’t buy it to give myself a second job determining all the ways it differs from what was advertised.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
As soon as the tank turn video appeared, many were skeptical (including me) that it would ever show up in a production vehicle, and Rivian never committed/documented that it was a new feature coming to production. Just because they show a video and have a patent doesn't mean it's a feature being delivered. Kia had a commercial showing a car launching into flight from an aircraft carrier - is that bait and switch also?
If you show a demonstration of a production-looking car doing something plausible, you’re advertising the feature. If you don’t deliver it, it’s false advertising. This is similar to the infamous Tesla FSD video, or the famous faked Nikola truck video which triggered a SEC investigation. Shameful, if you ask me.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
If the OP thought the audio systems were initially the same, they’d be initially biased towards ignoring any differences they thought they might have heard.

I am very busy, and the OP probably is as well. Nobody wants to spend time looking for flaws, but I’m still finding issues with my R1S months after delivery. I bought my car to *save* me time. I didn’t buy it to give myself a second job determining all the ways it differs from what was advertised.
Then don't worry about all the small changes and move on with your life. Is it really that important that the 12V outlets have changed or the name on the sound system has changed?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
If you show a demonstration of a production-looking car doing something plausible, you’re advertising the feature. If you don’t deliver it, it’s false advertising. This is similar to the infamous Tesla FSD video, or the famous faked Nikola truck video. Shameful, if you ask me.
Then every single car company (and most other companies that advertise) are guilty. That's just not how it works.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

You continue to ignore the fact that OP was unaware of any difference in his audio systems for weeks before figuring it out through the forum. That is an accidental, objective, blind test other than the fact one (the supposedly better one) was in an R1T (a better listening environment) and the other (the supposedly inferior one) was in his R1S (an inferior listening environment). He had no idea! :CWL:

I am not sure what you were expecting when you ordered a new vehicle from a new company, but if it was perfection you may have set your sights a little high. And that's totally fair if that is what you want - we all have our own set of expectations and priorities we bring to the table. But saying Rivian is engaging in "bait & switch" is just juvenile.

No offense, but if your R1S is that bad and you are that unhappy with Rivian you should sell it. Why put yourself through all of the trouble?

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If you show a demonstration of a production-looking car doing something plausible, you’re advertising the feature. If you don’t deliver it, it’s false advertising. This is similar to the infamous Tesla FSD video, or the famous faked Nikola truck video which triggered a SEC investigation. Shameful, if you ask me.
Disagree regarding Rivian. They were showing a prototype/work in progress. The video was posted on YouTube Dec 25, 2019. EVERYONE knew that Rivian was in development at that time and no vehicles were even close to being delivered to consumers. When we all placed our pre-orders, Tank Turn was not listed as a feature or option, and we all agreed that vehicle specs were not finalized and could change. That's exceptionally clear and explicitly stated by Rivian in the agreement.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system 1680015620379

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Those are not even close to similar things. Wow.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Baiting and switching is Rivian's MO. They have been doing it for years....Thanks for sharing.
“Specifications & features subject to change without notice” is actually their company motto

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's what I recall as well, but I'm not seeing anything that supports that conclusion.

I don't see it on the video they created that talks about Gear Guard and I'm not seeing it on the product descriptor.

To support something like the alarm going off when cut means that has to be part of the design. It would have to conduct some amount of energy to be able to detect when cut.
Rivian has actually patented using cameras to track the cable to see if there's movement. Doesn't mean we'll ever see it implemented but it's definitely an interesting patent.

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/20230078631

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
*sigh*
I think everyone just has to look deep within themselves and figure out if a brand new vehicle from a brand new manufacturer is the right fit for them. Based on your comments, I fear this may not have been a fit for you. Everyone knew (or should have known) that Rivian is still figuring things out as they go, and that is going to continue for some time. If people can't deal with that, they should probably cancel their reservation or sell their vehicle. It's not going to get any better any time soon if your perspective doesn't change.

For me - I totally accept that, and I know I will have to take the bad with the good. All the minor issues notwithstanding, this vehicle is still really, really good.
Sponsored