DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My biggest concern is reflected sunlight off of either screen bouncing back into the eyes of the driver, or even a passenger's eyes. We talked about the driver's screen earlier. I would think the driver's own reflection may block most of the relected view from out of the back window, but that coverage may not be complete, given the width of that screen.

The center/entertainment screen is going to have to be tilted more upright or toward the driver to avoid light from the side windows from hitting the front seat occupants right in the face. Tilting it to one side may create a safety hazard for the front seat passenger. In the picture above, it looks as though a shorter driver may be looking at reflections from outside the passenger window at all times. Bad enough to see reflections of the world going by, but nasty if the Sun is roasting retinas.
Sponsored

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Would be nice if the screens have the matte coating, or even better, a nano-texture similar to the Apple XDR displays.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
With Rivian's obvious eye for detail, and the extensive real-world testing they've performed, I would be shocked if the screens experience any meaningful glare, despite frequently voiced concerns, on these forums.

The moonroof, for example, seems to be extremely tinted -- to the point I worry it may not feel as immersive as I'm used to -- but I don't think it will cause glare.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

They're certainly going to need something to keep reflection and glare to a minimum. The driver's screen could be handled by standing it upright, but that center one would benefit from a matted surface, as well.

I'm sure they have it all figured out. If they can get three tons of metal and pleather from 0 to 60 in three seconds, this is child's play. It's still nice of Rivian to let us chime in on topics like this.

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Maybe the tilt is adjustable to help eliminate glare.
I asked CS about angling the screen and they said No. I also asked about a non glare screen protector and they have no plans to make one.

Sponsored

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I asked CS about angling the screen and they said No. I also asked about a non glare screen protector and they have no plans to make one.
I remember someone talking to an engineer at an event, who said they were working on a solution for glare...that was a long time ago though, and little chance of finding it now.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Found it, from way back in 2019:

Since there is no light-blocking hood above the driver/instrument (like in most ICE vehicles) and center displays, an engineer told me that the displays will be coated with an anti-glare but wasn’t sure of the exact method.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Anti-glare coating is likely. And Rivian should not be wasting time making screen protectors. That is far outside of their core competency. Let the aftermarket and companies that specialize in such things make such products for those who really want them.

BadKarma!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350R
Occupation
Cyber Security
Clubs

Great tidbit! I actually figured as much due to this picture.

IMG-20210323-WA0001.jpg
I know this is a pre-prod mule but is that the Ocean Coast interior? The light gray looks more green to me. Not too thrilled with it.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I know this is a pre-prod mule but is that the Ocean Coast interior? The light gray looks more green to me. Not too thrilled with it.
Nope. That is 100% the Forest Edge interior which is indeed very green.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Nope. That is 100% the Forest Edge interior which is indeed very green.
Obiovusly the Forest Edge because of the wood trim.

The wood trim will immediately confirm the interior color, regardless of sunlight and camera settings.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the Forest Edge is more subtle in real pictures than in the renders. It's not for me, but I think it's not as boldly green as many might think.

OP
OP
RforRivian

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I just had an awesome (almost 30 minute) phone conversation with CS and I brought this up. They said that this information was incorrect. The screen behind the steering wheel is NOT in fact a touch screen. I don't consider this a huge loss because it seemed like it would be hard to access anyways but just want to set this straight.

Since I didn't save a screenshot, I'm really hoping now that I didn't misinterpret the original answer and get someone in trouble. The CS team seems like a really awesome group of people that is just as excited and passionate as we are about these vehicles.
Sponsored