Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread but I chatted with CS today (Ruby) and they told me that the screen behind the steering wheel is also a touch screen... Of course when I asked how it would be utilized I got the standard "more details to come on that soon..."

As far as I am aware, most of the gauge cluster screens on the market are not touch operated so I'll be interested to see how they use it.

Edit: This was not accurate information. Please ignore everything above.
Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread but I chatted with CS today (Ruby) and they told me that the screen behind the steering wheel is also a touch screen... Of course when I asked how it would be utilized I got the standard "more details to come on that soon..."

As far as I am aware, most of the gauge cluster screens on the market are not touch operated so I'll be interested to see how they use it.
Great tidbit! I actually figured as much due to this picture.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms digital gauge / instrument screen is also touchscreen! IMG-20210323-WA0001

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

That is very interesting! I don’t think that has been done before. I assume the gauge for speed will probably always be displayed for safety reasons

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Sure seems awkward to reach. Even the trip meter reset button on my car's instrument cluster can really only be reached while stopped.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I'm honestly concerned about the complete lack of any "hood" feature to the dash design above both screens. I mean the look itself is super-clean and minimalist. And I'm sure they tweaked the angle a thousand times to mitigate reflections. Nonetheless, having no hood or physical shade sure seems like a recipe for frustrating times viewing them. I see an aftermarket opportunity!

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm honestly concerned about the complete lack of any "hood" feature to the dash design above both screens. I mean the look itself is super-clean and minimalist. And I'm sure they tweaked the angle a thousand times to mitigate reflections. Nonetheless, having no hood or physical shade sure seems like a recipe for frustrating times viewing them. I see an aftermarket opportunity!
Rivian DTT (Display Top Tent)!

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Great tidbit! I actually figured as much due to this picture.

IMG-20210323-WA0001.jpg
Yeah all th Fingerprints... apparently no oleophbic coating on the pre-prod model ???????

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Maybe the tilt is adjustable to help eliminate glare.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Yeah all th Fingerprints... apparently no oleophbic coating on the pre-prod model ???????
If you look closely at that pic there seem to be protective films over both screens.

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Nice, maybe when parked you can adjust the look/widgets on display. Makes sense, or a couple buttons on left when parked like lighting, etc?

if they use a good OLED display it should shine well in bright light hopefully.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There is no hood on the Model S center screen and it has not been an issue. I’m in SoCal and it is sunny all the time.

Not saying it will not be an issue but is possible and with all the testing they have been doing I’m confident if it was an issue it would have been sorted by now.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Where’s the stylus holder? ?

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
There is no hood on the Model S center screen and it has not been an issue. I’m in SoCal and it is sunny all the time.

Not saying it will not be an issue but is possible and with all the testing they have been doing I’m confident if it was an issue it would have been sorted by now.
im still amazed it’s going to have a power frunk/hood. Something Tesla has kept to latches due to regulations I believe.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Sure seems awkward to reach. Even the trip meter reset button on my car's instrument cluster can really only be reached while stopped.
I completely agree it will be awkward. All of the controls for my driver display are located on the steering wheel, including the ability to set up the display format, as well as things like the trip meter reset, or looking at tire pressures. It is really easy and right where my fingers should be while driving.
Sponsored