Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
If it was me, I'd order the 7 seat version & either leave the 3rd row folded down (within 3 degrees of flat) or even remove the 3rd row seats myself (with the option to put them back in if needed or for resale one day).
That's how I use my GX - 3rd row removed and in bags in the garage...maybe gets installed once a year for a family trip. They fold out of the way but I like to give my dog more room and the windows. I've even removed the 2nd row a couple of times to do dump runs and move furniture. I'm honestly not sure about the Rivian - had originally specified SUV but now thinking truck...really hoping to see a canopy treatment for the truck at or near launch.
Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
IMO, you should configure the Launch Edition this week, while you can. There's a chance they might offer a 3rd row delete option on the LE once the configurator matures. If it was me, I'd order the 7 seat version & either leave the 3rd row folded down (within 3 degrees of flat) or even remove the 3rd row seats myself (with the option to put them back in if needed or for resale one day).
Oh man. You had to go and tell me that, didn't you!? Ha. I'm curious, where did that little "3rd row delete" golden nugget of intel come from?

If that delete option comes to fruition, that would definitely make the decision harder. I'd personally prefer to have the extra space of not having the seats. So much more room for activities!

I guess I could just fill up the seat perforations with super glue and spray paint the yellow accents.

I'm off to configure the LE!....unless you tell me your source was Alex Jones.

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
I got the email at 12:24pm pacific, my preorder date was Aug 2020. Configured R1S LE with following config:
Limestone Exterior
Ocean Interior
21" Wheels

1605560992523.png
We changed the config to Yellow Exterior + Green Interior + 22" wheels

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Configurator is Up For Reservation Holders! Share Your Build / Configuration Inside 1605646065238

Last edited:

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ā€˜66 Bronco
Yes. I'm replying to my own post ;)

Am I, and maybe a few other "lost" souls the only ones choosing the Explore package? I feel like Gollum hanging in a dark cave! haha.

I'm probably going to be called blasphemous for this post but oh well ;) Not gonna lie, I would have chosen the LE if I could have selected the R1S with 5 seats. That one was a bummer. Oh well!

I'm going to mention this before I get to my points below for an early rebuttal and to assuage the hatred ;) I'm not getting the R1S just because it's the "adventure" electric SUV option. It's because of a whole host of other reasons. Looks (not a Jetsons scooter), performance, storage space, etc. Yes, i know there are other electric vehicles out there. Not interested in current offerings or ones coming out in the very near future that have been announced.

**To each their own** - Spend your money where you like! I'm just curious if i'm the only one who thinks this way!!! LOL.

Adventure Package thoughts:

Reinforced Underbody Shield. - O.K. This one I understand. If you are truly going to be climbing crazy, off-road obstacles, then go for it and this provides a little security. Me? Maybe a few funky dirt roads / fire roads / trails to get to some camping spots. That's about it. I'm pretty sure the R1S will handle this. I'm not going to be entering rock crawling contests or fording rivers. If you are, then get er done! I'll ride shotgun and make comments about how you should be driving. Everyone loves that.

Toe Hooks - I'll call AAA for someone if they need help ;) JK. How many times am I going to use this? Few, if any.

Compressor - I guess it's cool, similar in nature to the built in flashlight. It's an Easter Egg to me. Not worth it really. I own a DC compressor that I can plug into the vehicle's 12v socket. Hopefully there is one. I think there is. Hmm. Maybe I should look into that! Well, there's 110V outlets at least. I'm sure someone makes one!

Perforated & Ventilated Seats - I hate perforated seats. They get dirty, Crap gets stuck in them. Ventilated seats are o.k. but A/C does it for me just fine. Plus, just another piece to break & fix. Explore comes with heated seats so that will work.

Natural Grain Ash Wood - I could love it or leave it. The darker/black color looks ash wood look decent but i'm not going to be upset not having it.

360 Degree Audio System - I'm not an audiophile. I'm not going to be cranking it most of the time either. Am I really going to be noticing such a massive difference that i'm going to be crying i'm so happy? Probably not. Plus, i'm sure (hopeful) the standard surround isn't going to be a slouch.

Removable Bluetooth Speaker - Another swanky Easter Egg. I'll just dig up and use the 2 or 3 I have laying around the house somewhere. Where are those?

Passenger Lumbar - What she doesn't know, won't hurt her!!!

Yellow Accents - I don't think yellow should be a color.

Microfiber Headliner - That should be super easy to keep clean!! (sarcasm)

Chilewich Floor Mats - I'll be hard, but i'll survive without them.

P.S. - Again, with all that said, I still might have ordered the LE R1S if it had 5 seats. Just to save face a little after that commentary ;) Maybe. Who knows.

I'm just going to disappear now, go to my Gollum corner, and never come back. Good luck! Focker out!
Hilarious. Donā€™t be gone long. Anyway, Iā€™m getting the truck, but with all the people unhappy about the 7 seater and not being able to get the 5 seater....maybe that will change. I mean we still have quite a bit time left. Also, what if the 7 seater folded flat or is easy to remove? I used to have an old Suburban that had the rear seat and it was a snap to remove.........problem.......where to store the damn thing.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Oh man. You had to go and tell me that, didn't you!? Ha. I'm curious, where did that little "3rd row delete" golden nugget of intel come from?

If that delete option comes to fruition, that would definitely make the decision harder. I'd personally prefer to have the extra space of not having the seats. So much more room for activities!

I guess I could just fill up the seat perforations with super glue and spray paint the yellow accents.

I'm off to configure the LE!....unless you tell me your source was Alex Jones.
Rivian support told me that 7 seats come standard on the LE, but that 5 seats would be an option. I'm not fully confident that rep had their facts straight though (and not Alex, no conspiracies). However, would it be the end of the world if you just folded them flat? Still plenty of activity room, right? Other than the 3rd row footwell, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

I've never had an issue with perforated seats, all of mine have been very small holes that didn't pose any dirt/clog problems, but I realize others might have different experiences. If you go super glue, I highly recommend Gorilla.

Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Hilarious. Donā€™t be gone long. Anyway, Iā€™m getting the truck, but with all the people unhappy about the 7 seater and not being able to get the 5 seater....maybe that will change. I mean we still have quite a bit time left. Also, what if the 7 seater folded flat or is easy to remove? I used to have an old Suburban that had the rear seat and it was a snap to remove.........problem.......where to store the damn thing.
Yeah. I guess i'll have to take a look at it in person to make the final call. I'm hopeful i'll be able to figure it out once vehicles are available for test drive. Hopefully that will be well before they start rolling them off the line and before we're asked to lock in the purchase with the blood of one's first/second/third born!

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Rivian support told me that 7 seats come standard on the LE, but that 5 seats would be an option. I'm not fully confident that rep had their facts straight though (and not Alex, no conspiracies). However, would it be the end of the world if you just folded them flat? Still plenty of activity room, right? Other than the 3rd row footwell, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

I've never had an issue with perforated seats, all of mine have been very small holes that didn't pose any dirt/clog problems, but I realize others might have different experiences. If you go super glue, I highly recommend Gorilla.
It definitely wouldn't be the end of the world. I currently have the 2019 Acura RDX. I like that extra space and would like even more. I don't have children as far as I know. Sometimes I cringe looking in the mailbox on Father's Day. You never know!

If I could get the huge volume available in the 5 seater, that would be great. Could I pull the seats out? Sure/Maybe. I do want to see how it's implemented though first and what super cool surprises they might have up their sleeves for us 5-seater crew. Coffee Bar?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I don't have children as far as I know. Sometimes I cringe looking in the mailbox on Father's Day. You never know!
LOL! Pro tip - Don't do any of the DNA testing sites & select the option to allow relatives to find you.

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Hot off the press update! Well, maybe to some ;)

Just chatted with Rivian. Apparently, and I don't know how this works in the world of mechanical engineering and the space time continuum, but the cargo space in the 7 seater and the 5 seater will be the same, except for a small angle of the seats in the 7 seater when they fold forward, almost flat. I guess the floor of the cargo space in the 5 seater will essentially be where the back of the seats are laying flay in the 7 seater. Mind blown.

Why wouldn't they utilize the obvious extra space from the void left with the seats removed?

LE edition....here i come.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Not sure if anybody bounced around from R1S to R1T or visa versa. Someone posted that they wish the black console and the ocean white seats was an option--which I would like as well. I was playing around on the R1T configurator and their Ocean interior option only had the black dashboard with the white seats.

I wonder as the configurator matures, if that will be an option soon for the R1S....

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not sure if anybody bounced around from R1S to R1T or visa versa. Someone posted that they wish the black console and the ocean white seats was an option--which I would like as well. I was playing around on the R1T configurator and their Ocean interior option only had the black dashboard with the white seats.

I wonder as the configurator matures, if that will be an option soon for the R1S....
Sounds like you had the Explore package selected... No wood dash there.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Sounds like you had the Explore package selected... No wood dash there.
I selected the LE version for the RS1 and wanted the dark wood option with the Ocean interior, which does not currently seem to be the case currently in the configurator.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I selected the LE version for the RS1 and wanted the dark wood option with the Ocean interior, which does not currently seem to be the case currently in the configurator.
Yeah, the only way to get the dark dash with the Ocean Coast is in the Explore package.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher