Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I hit a 404 error page on the main rivian site, and the banner came back briefly and directed me to "time-to-build-v2" which also doesn't exist as of now. I'm wondering if they are still just trying to figure out how to limit the pages to people who actually have pre-orders.
Sponsored

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
Just talked to Rebecca ( not Becka ) at Rivian and she said the 11/16 date is not cast in brass. But even more interesting she did say that when you complete your configuration you will get a firm start production date. I am sure that by then they will have production times down pat and you will be able to determine a firm delivery date. HOOOORAY!!!

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
So does that mean a fully loaded Car will be delivered first over someone who reserved two years ago but chooses a Car with a few less options. Obviously they want to ship the highest Optioned Cars first. I wouldn’t be happy if I reserved two Years ago but want a 7 passenger RIS and therefore have to another 6 months.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
So does that mean a fully loaded Car will be delivered first over someone who reserved two years ago but chooses a Car with a few less options. Obviously they want to ship the highest Optioned Cars first. I wouldn’t be happy if I reserved two Years ago but want a 7 passenger RIS and therefore have to another 6 months.
Yes. That is stated clearly on their website for full transparency (unlike Tesla)

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
The head fake on the banner makes me feel good and bad.

The good: hooray! It implies the mythical configurator will be reality. As others have said, some sense of the timeline, however vague, is helpful.

The bad: this is a company that is producing a product in which we literally trust our very lives to both the mechanical and software design.

Earlier this year Rivian posted a video with a white board full of information -- then pulled the video and reposted with the white board blurred. Now the head fake with the banner.

I don't want to read too much into these events, after all, it's a collaboration between the engineering team and the PR department and flubbing PR releases between the organizations isn't directly symptomatic of errors elsewhere. But . . . but. Designing and building a safe, reliable vehicle requires that all its multitudes of subsystems must interface and interact with one another correctly. Not the same as, but not unlike, getting different parts of the organization to interface and interact correctly.

And I'm thinking of the post about privacy, in a different thread, I put up before this one. If Rivian can't run its website correctly, how can I be sure it will manage its user database and personally-identifiable information appropriately?

Again, I don't want to read too much into these flubs. We all make mistakes. I just am a little surprised that we're seeing the gears grind behind the curtain this way.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
If Rivian can't run its website correctly, how can I be sure it will manage its user database and personally-identifiable information appropriately?
The Venn diagram of people running the website and people running any actual operations is two separate circles.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The Venn diagram of people running the website and people running any actual operations is two separate circles.
To echo... Totally different people with totally different tools and processes. I would not jump to any conclusions about the vehicles based on the marketing team accidentally clicking publish on a mock-up without realizing it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

aardvarkricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4
To echo... Totally different people with totally different tools and processes. I would not jump to any conclusions about the vehicles based on the marketing team accidentally clicking publish on a mock-up without realizing it.
It's nevertheless very unprofessional. There should be a preproduction environment to try things out.

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Anyone know if it will include R1T and R1S?
Of coarse it would. Both vehicles are very similar in build. Options would be identical other than a third row seat for the R1S. But I will always stand corrected.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Of coarse it would. Both vehicles are very similar in build. Options would be identical other than a third row seat for the R1S. But I will always stand corrected.
I'm in line for the R1S, but I'd be happy even if the R1S options aren't there yet. I really like the way the R1T looks and if Rivian has a good option to carry 2 large dogs in the back seat, then maybe I can convince my wife .

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm in line for the R1S, but I'd be happy even if the R1S options aren't there yet. I really like the way the R1T looks and if Rivian has a good option to carry 2 large dogs in the back seat, then maybe I can convince my wife .
The rear bench should fold up but not sure about the storage tray.