First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I just wanted to thank all of you guys for providing information to everyone. Rivian hasn’t been the best at communicating or releasing new information, so you guys have been a godsend when it comes to getting info!

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Looking forward to finally seeing the real pricing on these things. That will determine for a lot of us whether we will actually purchase or if we just were putting $1000 in a no interest savings account for a year. I also assume there will have to be more detailed pictures of the options including colors inside and out. That will be interesting to see.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Here is the reply I received from Curtis in Customer Service
Q-I’m excited to see the Configurator and I noticed your site on Saturday said go live 11/16. I then noticed a few hours later no date.
Q Once I configure will that be considered an order?

Response from Curtis
Great question- to answer your first question, we still plan to launch our Configurator tool by the end of the year( so we are back to end of the year as the response). You may have seen a Web Banner published with a placeholder date recently;we understand how excited our community is to start exploring Rivian’s vehicle options and pricing and will share more on Configurator timing very soon.

To answer your second question, no that will not be considered an order,once we get closer to production we will confirm with you that these are the configurations you want. We will be announcing more news soon of how the order process will go.
So obviously they are still working out details and someone just jumped the Gun. I’m not sure if the delivery date we will get, when we configure, means anything since the actual order might not get placed until next April or later.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I’m beginning to think that Rivian’s definition of “very soon” is very different than the general understanding of “very soon”

On one hand, they might just not be allowed to give specific dates until authorised to. On the other hand, I really don’t like the use of the phrase “placeholder date”

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
On the other hand, I really don’t like the use of the phrase “placeholder date”
That's engineerspeak used when one is writing a spec or program that requires a number to check out. For example a range estimating routine would need to know the weight of the vehicle. It may not be known at the time the routine is being written so the programmer might just stick in 5500 lbs usually with a comment noting that this is not the final value but just a number being temporarily being used to represent the final number.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Yeah, I know what a placeholder date is, I just meant that the use of that phrase bodes ill for 11/16 being the actual date for the configurator release

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Ouch. Rivian has been pretty careful about it’s PR strategy up to this point. But if 11/16 isn’t the actual date, somebody messed up big time.
Just got the same answer [ end of the year]. They mentioned that once they know when the configurator will come out, they'll send an email first.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Well that more or less seals it then, eh? No configurator on the 16th. Kinda stupid of them to have put up a banner (however briefly) with an actual date on it when they KNOW just how hotly anticipated the configurator is

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Well that more or less seals it then, eh? No configurator on the 16th. Kinda stupid of them to have put up a banner (however briefly) with an actual date on it when they KNOW just how hotly anticipated the configurator is
How does that seal it?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Well, there’s now been two responses to messages about the 11/16 date, one of which said it was a just placeholder date, and the other of which said that when they know the date, they’ll email us.

I suppose they could turn around be like “Surprise! 11/16 really is the date!”, but I sorta doubt it

Last edited:

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I think the point is:
1) they didn't (intend to) announce a date. The marketing team was mocking up what the website will look like after the email goes out, and accidentally pushed to production. This kind of thing happens frequently... the things I have seen find their way to production... :shudders:
2) they are really close to announcing a date, and it should be soon. The Thanksgiving hint was probably the best you're going to get until they make a formal announcement.

The web banner was, itself, an oops. But it's a positive sign that they are actually taking the steps right now to launch the thing. We don't need a configurator before the end of this year, we just want it to start quenching the curiosity thirst -- and shift all of our collective anxieties to waiting for those order confirmations and deliveries to happen.
Sponsored