First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Anyone have ideas, preferences, or thoughts on roof options? Clear glass vs electrochromic vs two-piece removable composite roof and vs standard fixed roof?

Guess i'm most interested in pros cons of fixed vs electrochromic more than other options.
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
equal to that or more important, is the test drive. With the shelter-in-place I cannot see that happening soon
Ah yes, the test drive. Easily one of my top 3 or 4 checklist items. But I've had to change my expectation of when that will occur for some time now as Rivian stated some time ago this will not occur until just before they launch. As far as I'm aware this has not changed. Even their website in the FAQ section still states:

"Do you offer test drives?

Not yet, but we can’t wait to get you behind the wheel. We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020.
"​

Now with the shutdown delaying the launch, I wouldn't be surprised if test drives also get pushed into 2021. If it happens sooner, great, but for now I've shifted my expectation accordingly ... mainly for the sake of sanity.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Anyone have ideas, preferences, or thoughts on roof options? Clear glass vs electrochromic vs two-piece removable composite roof and vs standard fixed roof?

Guess i'm most interested in pros cons of fixed vs electrochromic more than other options.
If you haven't already you might want to check out these threads. IIRC there were a fair amount of opinions expressed.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Yes I will take one right now without a test drive. Things could change later.
Now a couple of months later I'm getting more excited by the endurance by Lordstown Motors. They are going to show the truck later this month as Rivian continues to show adventure films with no progress on updates. They should have stayed stealth. Reservation holder since Nov 2018.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JamesCockrill

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Residential & Commerical Builder
How about a vote!

Do you think the configurator in "late summer" refers to a North American:

#1 - northern state late summer of July/August
Or
#2 - southern state late summer of September/October

What do you think?

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Sept 21 is the last day of summer regardless of where you are in the Northern Hemisphere so lets hold them to it.

JamesCockrill

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Residential & Commerical Builder
August 15th and had our first sub 80° day in the south, end of summer is approaching and so is the configurator. Unless they are using the southern hemisphere's date of March 20, 2021 in line with "The Long Way Up"

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Technically summer ends September 22. So I’m giving them till then to fulfil the “later this summer” claim

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
They have shifted their wording from late summer to "later this year", so I wouldn't count on a summer release.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
That’s fair too. At this point, I’m honestly wondering what exactly is taking them so long to make a configurator.

Like the very day the Bronco was announced, Ford had a list of all the trim levels, details on many of the available options/features, the colours available, and you could even see those colours on a full 3D model of the vehicle.

Meanwhile, for Rivian we know like almost bupkis. We know a few colours, we know the battery pack sizes, but that’s it. And it’s been very nearly TWO years.

I just seriously don’t get why it’s taking so long to put out something that was originally promised to us at the end of 2019

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
At least they're still saying later this year. Late summer plus 6 months for covid production shift could have potentially pushed it out to February or March.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I just seriously don’t get why it’s taking so long to put out something that was originally promised to us at the end of 2019
Totally agree.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
The only explanations I can think of are

A) They’re still mucking about trying to make some overly flashy “Full 3D AR” nonsense

B) They still haven’t finalised their 3rd party suppliers and therefore don’t want to put out a configurator with options that may not actually be available later

In either case, for the love of all that is holy Rivian, at LEAST tell us all the colours and let us put them on a little 2D picture of the vehicles
Sponsored