Rivian Comms Down 🙃

IanW

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hey all, I recently purchased a used (700 miles) R1S FE from a out of state seller and had it shipped to my home in CO. Vehicle arrived immaculate (seriously stunning vehicle), but the ownership transferred process with Rivian has been rough. To make matters worse, the techs can’t connect to my R1S because most of the communication equipment is down. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their Rivian?

1) Infotainment system won’t find any wfi networks. Just says “Looking for network” and spins. Despite being in my garage where my iPhone can see my home and guest network, as well as all my neighbors. 2.4 and 5.

2) I have rebooted the infotainment system, but the vehicle itself refuses to reboot. When I start the process (holding down hazard and left steering wheel button). Window pops up and says “Vehicle will restart soon”, but eventually that window goes away and the vehicle remains on.

3) OTA will not connect to Rivian support. I was in my garage when I was troubleshooting, not sure if this is why. Rivian tech said it shouldn’t matter.

4) Bluetooth works but iPhone connects to multiple Rivian devices. Rivian Audio, Rivian sensor 1, and Rivian sensor 4. No idea what that’s about.

5) I can see the vehicle in the app. But it appears I’m connected as a driver not the owner. Old owner is still on the vehicle with no way to remove. I also cannot add a key as the pop up never shows up on the vehicle’s dash and the adding manual is no longer supported.

I have to say, that, despite all the issues above, I’m still super impressed with the R1S and Rivian support. I have a service appointment setup next month, but if anyone has advice for me before that, I’d greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored

OP
OP

IanW

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Try wifi?
Unfortunately, Wi-Fi just says “Looking for networks” and spins. Tried to add 2.4 network manually, just thinks for a bit and says “connecting failed”. Inside my rivian, my iPhone picks up a half dozen nearby networks. Rivian sees none. đŸ€·đŸ»â€â™‚ïž

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Definitely sounds like a warranty service visit is in order.

OP
OP

IanW

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Definitely sounds like a warranty service visit is in order.
Yeah, probably so. Tech was super cool, gave me the first available. What else can you do? In the meantime, I can only hope that I don’t brick the whole car by f&@king with it. Too hard to resist!

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Maybe the Rivian doesn't like your WiFi. Try enabling the WiFi hotspot on your iPhone and see if you can connect to it.

The failure to reboot though sounds like there is something going on with it.

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
I bet it would be fine if it had Apple Car Play.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Also it sounds like your doing the full reboot. From what I'm reading that isn't recommended and once you do that your not supposed to di it again for at least 1 hour.

It's better to do the double scroll wheel reset. That only reboots the infotainment computer. Based on all the warnings I would not do the hard reset unless instructed to do so by Rivian service/support.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Some members have had a communication module go bad. I forget what it is called and I still need a bit more coffee this morning. With an update awhile ago, a full truck reboot triggers sending diagnostic data to the mothership before then rebooting and if that can’t happen, truck wasn’t rebooting. Communication failure was preventing that.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
Same problem happened to me after a failed software update. Mobile tech can try to come out to temporary fix it by disconnecting the 12v batteries. But will need to replace the TCM module.

Sponsored

OP
OP

IanW

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Maybe the Rivian doesn't like your WiFi. Try enabling the WiFi hotspot on your iPhone and see if you can connect to it.

The failure to reboot though sounds like there is something going on with it.
This is a good thought. Unfortunately, the Rivian won’t see my Wi-Fi hotspot on my iPhone either. It’s like it can’t see any networks at all.

OP
OP

IanW

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I bet it would be fine if it had Apple Car Play.
😂
Some members have had a communication module go bad. I forget what it is called and I still need a bit more coffee this morning. With an update awhile ago, a full truck reboot triggers sending diagnostic data to the mothership before then rebooting and if that can’t happen, truck wasn’t rebooting. Communication failure was preventing that.
I’m gathering that this has been a problem with other members. The vehicle was several upgrades behind when I took possession, so it’s possible that there was a failed upgrade at some point too. I guess I’ll just wait for my service appointment. Vehicle still drives, no issues there.

TacoMcDonut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This has all the hallmarks of a failed TCM. It will need to be programmed in Normal, shipped to your local SC and installed. Ask me how I know this đŸ€Ș

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Same problem happened to me after a failed software update. Mobile tech can try to come out to temporary fix it by disconnecting the 12v batteries. But will need to replace the TCM module.
Sometimes the 12V repair is enough, but it depends on the issue. When mine died, there was also a bug in the software that I couldn't trigger a vehicle reboot. They ended up performing the 12V reset, and my module has been fine since (it's been about 6 months).

At the same time, if I had been able to reboot, it might have fixed it without service, so this module might just have failed.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
Sometimes the 12V repair is enough, but it depends on the issue. When mine died, there was also a bug in the software that I couldn't trigger a vehicle reboot. They ended up performing the 12V reset, and my module has been fine since (it's been about 6 months).

At the same time, if I had been able to reboot, it might have fixed it without service, so this module might just have failed.

They tried to reset mine with 12v disconnect and replaced my 12v batteries and still wouldn’t work. Waiting for my TCM to be replaced next week. Couldn’t do a hard reset too.
Sponsored