Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lose-to-raising-funds-at-25-billion-valuation
Rivian Automotive Inc., the electric-truck startup backed by Amazon.com Inc. and Ford Motor Co., is close to raising a new round of funding valuing it at about $25 billion, according to people familiar with the matter.

Several existing Rivian investors are participating in the round, which will raise several billion dollars, the people added, asking not to be identified because the matter is private.

Existing investors in the company include Amazon, T. Rowe Price Group Inc., BlackRock Inc., Soros Fund Management, Coatue, Fidelity Investments and Baron Capital Group.

The funding isn’t finalized and details could still change.

A representative for Rivian said, “We are focused on delivering the R1T, R1S, and Amazon delivery vehicles in 2021. We often speak to investors, and we have no announcement to make at this time.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Dang it, I want in! They should totally open an investment round to customers.

• ~$6B in previous funding
  • Several billion this round, for a total of ~$9B cash
  • Based on $25B valuation

Makes me wonder what percentage ownership and control RJ & other employees hold

Sponsored

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is it too much too hope this results in a price drop?
Yeah, that's not going to happen. But they do need to start delivering products and generating a revenue stream. Perhaps new funding might speed that up (don't think that's likely either) or perhaps the new funding goes toward ramping up sales/service/insurance or next gen vehicles and new markets as you suggested.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Is it too much too hope this results in a price drop?
Won’t happen. Value is based on future sales and cutting price hurts that exponentially. They’ve got so much invested I think they will lose money at the current price for a while which is okay

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Agreed, don't think there will be price drop.

Hopefully they can speed up production and deliveries with more cash. Also, would be nice if they can throw free goodies to LE holders.

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Agreed, don't think there will be price drop.

Hopefully they can speed up production and deliveries with more cash. Also, would be nice if they can throw free goodies to LE holders.
Hah, thought you wrote free "Hoodies"...I'm good with goodies or Hoodies...either way. :cool:

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Here's some info on where the competition stands to put that $25 billion valuation in context:
  • Tesla: ~$700 billion
  • Toyota (best of the rest): $52 billion
  • Mercedes: $49 billion
  • BMW: $40 billion
  • Honda: $22 billion
This is going off Tesla's Market Cap value. And the other companies here look off. Toyota has a 212b Market cap.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
This is going off Tesla's Market Cap value. And the other companies here look off. Toyota has a 212b Market cap.
You're right - I just noticed at the bottom of the article that Apple and Amazon are valued at $2-300 billion. Clearly off! I'm just going to delete the post.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
You're right - I just noticed at the bottom of the article that Apple and Amazon are valued at $2-300 billion. Clearly off! I'm just going to delete the post.
I think the firm you quoted was (not very clearly) trying to give a value to the various companies' *brand* vice their market cap. So, simply stamping "Tesla" on something has a value, vice simply stamping "Acme" on it.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I think the firm you quoted was (not very clearly) trying to give a value to the various companies' *brand* vice their market cap. So, simply stamping "Tesla" on something has a value, vice simply stamping "Acme" on it.
Acme Roadrunner: 0 - 60 in 5 milliseconds! Beep Beep!

You're right though, that's probably what the article was trying to communicate, and did a poor job at it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.