Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I have to wonder if the launch timing is right for the R1 to leverage SDI's Gen 5 battery tech out of the gate given that it was expected to go into production the second half of 2021. I'm thinking it may still be a little too early for that. Perhaps Gen 5 batteries are the big variable for the longest range R1S? Sure wish Rivian would open up a bit more regarding battery chemistry.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have to wonder if the launch timing is right for the R1 to leverage SDI's Gen 5 battery tech out of the gate given that it was expected to go into production the second half of 2021. I'm thinking it may still be a little too early for that. Perhaps Gen 5 batteries are the big variable for the longest range R1S? Sure wish Rivian would open up a bit more regarding battery chemistry.
Agreed. That would be awesome. I just want some info on the technical airbus tbh.

http://www.thelec.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=1942

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

And threaten their launch numbers? FOMO is only so strong. When you start speaking truth about battery tech, people suddenly become more patient...
This is one of few things that would delay my LE choice till the fall. The other being delivery any time after June. My ship leaves in July, no sense throwing money at something to collect dust for 5 months.

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
And threaten their launch numbers? FOMO is only so strong. When you start speaking truth about battery tech, people suddenly become more patient...
This is one of few things that would delay my LE choice till the fall. The other being delivery any time after June. My ship leaves in July, no sense throwing money at something to collect dust for 5 months.

Thanks for your service. I did 12 in the Navy as well, but the deployment checklist was a little different...Dodge Neons and Chevy Cavaliers didn't need to be plugged in while I was gone. LOL

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for your service. I did 12 in the Navy as well, but the deployment checklist was a little different...Dodge Neons and Chevy Cavaliers didn't need to be plugged in while I was gone. LOL
Thank you for paying your taxes!
In truth it isn't the dust I'm worried about, it's the wife joy riding without me, and coming back to 6k miles...

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My ship leaves in July, no sense throwing money at something to collect dust for 5 months.
Purple Dragon shipmate...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Riviot,

I'll second that Thank You for Your Service, and I'll also continue to pay my taxes. Wise idea to keep your Rivian mileage down by foregoing your Rivian until you return.

Best of everything to you and yours!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Getting my blue nose this patrol, maybe join the order of the ditch too!
I get that you are trying to be funny, but It is not a great idea to give operational details (even if you think they are too vague to be dangerous) on a public forum. Those of us that served, like you, should respect OPSEC and the old adage "loose lips sink ships" because you never know who else is listening.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I get that you are trying to be funny, but It is not a great idea to give operational details (even if you think they are too vague to be dangerous) on a public forum. Those of us that served, like you, should respect OPSEC and the old adage "loose lips sink ships" because you never know who else is listening.
Understood and agree! I normally would be mum, but this tour is on a science vessel ? and the patrol has been publicly announced. It's a great change of pace from the sand sailor years. Gathering data on algae blooms and climate change!
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian chooses Samsung for its first-gen battery supplier IMG_20210413_093559

Sponsored

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Understood and agree! I normally would be mum, but this tour is on a science vessel ? and the patrol has been publicly announced. It's a great change of pace from the sand sailor years. Gathering data on algae blooms and climate change!
IMG_20210413_093559.gif

that sounds way more laidback than Gator Freighter or Tin Can Sailor (my 2 sea tours). Enjoy.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
IMG_20210413_093559.gif
Bet you never thought you would be joining the U.S. Navy to fight against algae blooms... or are we supporting the algae blooms as an ally, I can't keep track.

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Bet you never thought you would be joining the U.S. Navy to fight against algae blooms... or are we supporting the algae blooms as an ally, I can't keep track.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian chooses Samsung for its first-gen battery supplier algae

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm actually a Coastie, or as y'all lovingly call us, a puddle pirate.
It was either Marines or USCG for me and my college roommate make it an easy choice: "You can either take lives or save lives."

How about them Samsung batteries?