First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm also curious how Rivian made the "announcement." Clearly a press release, but they did not post the press release on their website with their other releases. I looked in the major wires and did not see anything. Maybe someone savvier can track down the full press release.
Reuters is reporting it as well but no source details, only says Rivian is announcing. They could have picked it up from one of the EV reporting sites, unfortunately hard to trust that anyone is really verifying sources these days.

Samsung SDI to supply battery cells to EV startup Rivian | Reuters

Most of the other sites I see are referencing Reuters.

Update... This site quotes RJ

Samsung SDI to supply battery cells to EV startup Rivian | Financial Post
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

MJB28

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2019 Tesla M3, 2020 Livewire
Occupation
Custom Home Construction
That’s pretty interesting, same as the Harley Livewire

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
That’s pretty interesting, same as the Harley Livewire
Must of been impressed while filming Long Way Up!

Sponsored

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Does this announcement make anyone else worried about the durability of these batteries? Wondering if Rivian was forced into this arrangement out of sheer necessity.

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Does this announcement make anyone else worried about the durability of these batteries? Wondering if Rivian was forced into this arrangement out of sheer necessity.

A warranty of 8 years and 175,000 miles is a pretty confident bet on battery and powertrain.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
“Rivian announced today that Samsung SDI will supply battery cells for Rivian vehicles. Samsung and Rivian have been working together throughout the vehicle development process to ensure robust cell testing and characterization.”

Also, this article from 2017 provided some good hindsight observation. As an example, the recharge to 80% in 20 minutes that rivian advertised.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2017/01/09/samsung-2170-battery-cell-tesla-panasonic/amp/

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Nope! I take it you don't feel this is good news?

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Nope! I take it you don't feel this is good news?
I'm probably pretty biased as I've had a string of bad luck with their devices/appliances being completely unreliable (phones/washing machine/fridge). I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it also seems like they were "last kid picked" and only one available (Tesla has Panasonic, GM has LG).

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Valid concern

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm probably pretty biased as I've had a string of bad luck with their devices/appliances being completely unreliable (phones/washing machine/fridge). I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it also seems like they were "last kid picked" and only one available (Tesla has Panasonic, GM has LG).
Tesla is using LG and CATL as well as Panasonic. Ford and VW are using SKI. VW had been using SID. GM, Kia, and Hyundai just had their issues with LG (not saying LG has broad issues, just saying). They're all constrained, I hadn't guess at Samsung when I was thinking about cell suppliers.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Samsung "Group" is large and diverse and composed of many independent businesses. Samsung Electronics, the apparent source of your fears, has a roughly 20% stake in Samsung SDI but they are not the same company. Dig a little deeper into SDI and I think you might feel a little better, they aren't a second rate battery supplier.

My only concern is that Rivian has so far only announced a single supplier which I consider a risk no matter who was selected.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I've had bad luck with LG appliances.
Nothing you listed utilized 21700 cells, or probably even batteries (except maybe the cell phone).

I know people involved some heavy duty custom EV work and are very impressed with Samsung cells and use them to build their packs. Industrial applications like underground mining vehicles aa well as hot rod/performance applications. He says that e cigs are the best thing to happen to EV batteries (most use cylindrical cells and the field is extremely competitive). Samsung cells consistently score at or near the top in all the ratings sites.

I actually like that Rivian is working with someone a little different than most of the competition.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
From CleanTechnica:
Samsung SDI batteries are not known for being the cheapest, but they are surely within the ballpark of other major players like CATL, LG Energy Solution, SK Innovation, and Panasonic. What it is known for is creating very high-quality, reliable, high-performance batteries — the ideal match for a premium, performance, utility-focused electric vehicle lineup like Rivian’s.
Sponsored