Engineer

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
So weird. I wonder what they're waiting for.
Ummmm.....do we think Rivian will be able to build 3,500 chargers at 600 plus sites by end of 2023, if it is taking this long(seven plus months and counting) to build at just one location?
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Charging Station in Salida, CO is Under Construction C12A3E68-DBAC-44F2-9878-525B0893B50B

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ummmm.....do we think Rivian will be able to build 3,500 chargers at 600 plus sites by end of 2023, if it is taking this long(seven plus months and counting) to build at just one location?
C12A3E68-DBAC-44F2-9878-525B0893B50B.png
Lol, I don't think they will get it built out by then. The context could really matter here though.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

While I agree it's doubtful they'll reach the goal, I would not use the construction timeline of this site as a precedent for future installations. Rivian's primary attention right now is getting production ramped up and deliveries to customers. There is little need to build out the charging network ahead of having a fleet of truck able to use it. Third party networks will suffice in the near term.

It's probable production of the fast charging equipment was delayed and prevented them from completing installation of this and other Rivian fast charging sites. They took installation as far as they can. Once the equipment is delivered it should not take long to get up and running, and we'll likely see many sites open in a short period of time.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
While I agree it's doubtful they'll reach the goal, I would not use the construction timeline of this site as a precedent for future installations. Rivian's primary attention right now is getting production ramped up and deliveries to customers. There is little need to build out the charging network ahead of having a fleet of truck able to use it. Third party networks will suffice in the near term.

It's probable production of the fast charging equipment was delayed and prevented them from completing installation of this and other Rivian fast charging sites. They took installation as far as they can. Once the equipment is delivered it should not take long to get up and running, and we'll likely see many sites open in a short period of time.
Hard to say what the real delay is.

There is a new Tesla Supercharger station around the corner from my house that has been sitting at 99% completed now for over 2 months and still not open.

I think we just need to understand we are still a far from what was considered normal pre-2020.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anyone been to Salida recently to check the progress of the RAN station?

I believe the last we heard was the L2 stations were installed, but are still not available for use. No clue about the L3 stations.

I know there have been several installs of Rivian L2 stations in various states. My understanding was the L3 station in Salida was likely going to be one of the first in the nation. Hopefully they open it this summer now that Rivian has delivered vehicles in Colorado.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone been to Salida recently to check the progress of the RAN station?

I believe the last we heard was the L2 stations were installed, but are still not available for use. No clue about the L3 stations.

I know there have been several installs of Rivian L2 stations in various states. My understanding was the L3 station in Salida was likely going to be one of the first in the nation. Hopefully they open it this summer now that Rivian has delivered vehicles in Colorado.
I checked on it during Spring Break. No progress…looks the same as the 12/28 pic.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
L2 stations don't help low efficiency vehicles. Rivian emphasizing L2 installs is marketing, not enhancing travel for owners.

DCFC installs that sit are either waiting for the utility or parts. Installing DCFC in more remote locations where they are needed is often a multi-year project.

Tesla installed chargers in Moab because Cali Model S owners couldn't take a vaycay to the Utah parks. Rivian is much better capitalized than Tesla was in the early days and they should be expected to do more DCFC. Donating level 2 chargers to Colorado parks who likely already have RV electrical service is little help.

Reactions: Guy

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

L2 stations don't help low efficiency vehicles. Rivian emphasizing L2 installs is marketing, not enhancing travel for owners.

DCFC installs that sit are either waiting for the utility or parts. Installing DCFC in more remote locations where they are needed is often a multi-year project.

Tesla installed chargers in Moab because Cali Model S owners couldn't take a vaycay to the Utah parks. Rivian is much better capitalized than Tesla was in the early days and they should be expected to do more DCFC. Donating level 2 chargers to Colorado parks who likely already have RV electrical service is little help.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Charging Station in Salida, CO is Under Construction IMG_20220419_062344

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yep, my road trip this fall will use RV parks as a fallback plan for when the charging network lets me down.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Yep, my road trip this fall will use RV parks as a fallback plan for when the charging network lets me down.
To stay at RV parks or just charge? I don't find that charging at 50A/~21 miles per hour works except overnight. In my experience the nicest places to tent camp with power are only 30A.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

To stay at RV parks or just charge? I don't find that charging at 50A/~21 miles per hour works except overnight. In my experience the nicest places to tent camp with power are only 30A.
I would stay the night and relax. Definitely not worth stressing over charging.

Polecat

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Programmer
I do have to wonder about the status of RAN. The only known RAN install is at the corporate office in California that I know of, and I don't believe that's available for anyone other than employees. It also wasn't mentioned on the earnings calls. I get that everything from a parts perspective is severely delayed and disrupted, but is this going to be a continuing venture for them in the entirety of what they originally scoped?

I think about the locations they had thrown up on a map originally and most of those are covered similarly by EA except for all the off the beaten locations to allow for more "Adventurous" locations. It just makes sense to me that if RAN is going to continue they would focus on those locations more so, but to the comments previously alluded, those locations are significantly more difficult as pulling utilities to places where they don't already exist is a significant task.

All of that rambling aside, I do hope they discuss RAN on the next earnings call in some capacity and update the timeline on their website as I don't believe the 3500 DCFC at 600 sites through 2023 at this rate.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Charging station brands are going to be as varied as gas station brands. There is no economies of scale doing it this way however.
Sponsored