Rivian charger vs. other charging devices

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Is there a specific advantage to buying Rivian’s charging box as opposed to one from Grizzl-e, for example? I know the Rivian device connects to Bluetooth through the app, but I’m not sure is this is a must-have feature. I’d like to get one that can be easily moved from its wall-mount, and the Rivian box looks like it needs to be partially disassembled in order to be attached and detached.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Is there a specific advantage to buying Rivian’s charging box as opposed to one from Grizzl-e, for example? I know the Rivian device connects to Bluetooth through the app, but I’m not sure is this is a must-have feature. I’d like to get one that can be easily moved from its wall-mount, and the Rivian box looks like it needs to be partially disassembled in order to be attached and detached.
Out of curiosity, why (and how often) would you be removing it?

To meet code, anything with a plug needs to be able to be removed without the use of tools. EVSEs like the Grizzl-e meet this requirement, but would not meet the requirement for hardwiring anything that has adjustable amperage.

The Rivian (and other "smart" EVSEs) have the potential to communicate with your utility provider (V1G) and lets them delay/slow your charge session for a monthly/yearly discount.
The smart EVSEs also allow you to track the energy you use for charging, see charging curves, etc. Neat, but not required.

OP
OP
dmnyc

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Out of curiosity, why (and how often) would you be removing it?

To meet code, anything with a plug needs to be able to be removed without the use of tools. EVSEs like the Grizzl-e meet this requirement, but would not meet the requirement for hardwiring anything that has adjustable amperage.

The Rivian (and other "smart" EVSEs) have the potential to communicate with your utility provider (V1G) and lets them delay/slow your charge session for a monthly/yearly discount.
The smart EVSEs also allow you to track the energy you use for charging, see charging curves, etc. Neat, but not required.
The reason I’m asking is because I will be parking in a parking garage near where I live, as I don’t have a dedicated parking spot at my apartment building in New York City. The manager of the garage has agreed to install it for me but in the event I change parking locations in the next year or two I would like it to be easy to remove and bring to another garage.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The reason I’m asking is because I will be parking in a parking garage near where I live, as I don’t have a dedicated parking spot at my apartment building in New York City. The manager of the garage has agreed to install it for me but in the event I change parking locations in the next year or two I would like it to be easy to remove and bring to another garage.
In your circumstances it may be better to ask for a NEMA 14-50 outlet and just use the portable EVSE that Rivian is including with the vehicle.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A hardwired unit is not that difficult to remove and doing it only as often as you change garages is not a big deal. Having the attaching mechanism hidden inside the unit (like the Rivian) is an advantage in that it makes it less attractive to a casual/opportunistic thief.
The ease of removing a plug-in could actually be a detriment if some low life decides they need it more than you do (not sure if Rivian will lock - or have the option of doing so - the charge cable during charging).

Sponsored

OP
OP
dmnyc

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
A hardwired unit is not that difficult to remove and doing it only as often as you change garages is not a big deal. Having the attaching mechanism hidden inside the unit (like the Rivian) is an advantage in that it makes it less attractive to a casual/opportunistic thief.
The ease of removing a plug-in could actually be a detriment if some low life decides they need it more than you do (not sure if Rivian will lock - or have the option of doing so - the charge cable during charging).
Thanks. I’m not worried about thieves as this is a 24 hour staffed and attended valet garage. I appreciate the advice though.

OP
OP
dmnyc

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
In your circumstances it may be better to ask for a NEMA 14-50 outlet and just use the portable EVSE that Rivian is including with the vehicle.
Will that charge at roughly the same speed as the wall unit? I’d be a little concerned about using that regularly as it may diminish the portable unit’s life.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Will that charge at roughly the same speed as the wall unit? I’d be a little concerned about using that regularly as it may diminish the portable unit’s life.
It will charge more slowly — but still at a decent rate for most people.

~16 miles of range per hour on portable EVSE
~25 miles of range per hour on hardwired EVSE

OP
OP
dmnyc

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander

I think that’s probably okay since my wife will also have free charging at work and she will be the daily driver on weekdays. Would it make any sense to get a second portable unit to keep at the garage and just leave it plugged in?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think that’s probably okay since my wife will also have free charging at work and she will be the daily driver on weekdays. Would it make any sense to get a second portable unit to keep at the garage and just leave it plugged in?
Up to you. It’s a matter of convenience/cost and whether that meets your value threshold. How much is not having to unplug/stow the portable charger worth to you?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’d do that, it would be cheaper. And more convenient.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

so do I understand that the Rivian hard wired wall mounted wall charger only provides 25 miles per hour? Thats it?

OP
OP
dmnyc

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
so do I understand that the Rivian hard wired wall mounted wall charger only provides 25 miles per hour? Thats it?
Yeah that’s standard for 240V 30 amp household current.

OP
OP
dmnyc

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Yeah that’s standard for 240V 30 amp household current, but since you’re charging overnight you should get close to 80% by morning depending on your situation as far as I understand.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Yeah that’s standard for 240V 30 amp household current.
Ok. What about a nema 1450 outlet using say 40 Amps?

or can the Rivian box support 80 amps or 90 or a 100 amp breaker?
Sponsored