First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Here's a question I still need to research.

Should one wait for the V2H device from Rivian, in the hopes it can also act as a charger, or will it require two separate units, one for charging and one for providing power to the home?
That you should take up with Rivian. I just assumed that as the V2H system has to be able to connect to the vehicle DC bus it would contain a bidirectional bridge but it appears the Ford system does not work that way. It appears that their system uses the chargers already in the car for charging and a separate inverter on the wall to power the building. Rivian may do the same thing. Or they may do it differently.

Reminder: the "charger" you buy from Rivian today isn't a charger. The charger is in the truck. The box you buy is Electric Vehicle Support Equipment which does nothing but attach the building mains to the charger in the truck. Since a V2H EVSE will require battery access it will have to use the CCS combo plug meaning it could easily incorporate the AC charging EVSE function. Or it could include the charger and pass only DC back and forth. Only Rivian knows what they plan to do.
Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Please note that this is an option. The link posted yesterday was to the basic Duo which is, as I indicated yesterday, 2 EVSE in a box and, as it says plainly on the linked page, requires 2 separate 100 A circuits. Be sure you understand what you are buying. Or better yet call the guy up and ask for clarification. He's a real character and you will enjoy the chat. He's very reasonable about any customizations you may want.
Yeah i've already sent them an email to make sure I understood the option correctly and they responded that I did. My town (who provides my service) told me the line to my home is 400A rated so just need to work with an electrician to see what it'd take to put 100A subpanel in the garge (if needed).

time to make the city brown out like in Christmas Vacation :D

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Please note that this is an option. The link posted yesterday was to the basic Duo which is, as I indicated yesterday, 2 EVSE in a box and, as it says plainly on the linked page, requires 2 separate 100 A circuits. Be sure you understand what you are buying. Or better yet call the guy up and ask for clarification. He's a real character and you will enjoy the chat. He's very reasonable about any customizations you may want.
Thank you and DucRider…I think I may wait for the Rivian version then…..

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
That you should take up with Rivian. I just assumed that as the V2H system has to be able to connect to the vehicle DC bus it would contain a bidirectional bridge but it appears the Ford system does not work that way. It appears that their system uses the chargers already in the car for charging and a separate inverter on the wall to power the building. Rivian may do the same thing. Or they may do it differently.

Reminder: the "charger" you buy from Rivian today isn't a charger. The charger is in the truck. The box you buy is Electric Vehicle Support Equipment which does nothing but attach the building mains to the charger in the truck. Since a V2H EVSE will require battery access it will have to use the CCS combo plug meaning it could easily incorporate the AC charging EVSE function. Or it could include the charger and pass only DC back and forth. Only Rivian knows what they plan to do.
Thanks, I understand the wall charger is not a charger….all EV have the chargers built-in….so I think I will take the wall charger off my config and add the V2H later and if it is not bi-directional, I will buy the wall charger at that time….thanks!!

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: