Sponsored

Rivian charger vs 3rd party charger?

DeafPug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I had a pre-order on the Rivian EVSE because it's an _amazing_ value for what you get. It's capable up to 48KW charging (somewhat future proofing) and has the app for management.

I ended up cancelling it and going with a Clipper Creek HCS-50 because my wife's Volvo XC40 Recharge came in sooner than we expected and we needed an EVSE _right now_. The HCS-50 is the same one Rivian is using at the service centers so I felt confident in it for my own at-home use.
The Rivian Wall Charger supports 48 Amps, not 48 kW. 48 Amps at 240 Volts is 11,520 Watts, which is 11.5 kW and a far cry from 48 kW.

ClipperCreek makes quality gear and has excellent customer service if it is ever needed.
Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The problem with plug in versions is that to meet code, they must produce a separate unit for each plug type/circuit rating. Hardwired units can have adjustable amperages and one model could cover everything from 8 to 80 amps.
Thanks for this detail. My decision to get a plug in version is I need to use it at two locations, a home and a camp. If I understand what you are saying correctly, I just need to make sure the outlets at both sites are the same amperage and I should be ok using whatever plug in version I end up deciding to get? Honestly, I'm considering skipping an EVSE altogether and just using the cord that comes with the truck. 16 mi/hr of charging overnight is more than enough for my average daily use at either location.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Yup, you're absolutely right @DeafPug . I should know better than to type before coffee.

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Ridgeline, 2018 Porsche Cayman 718 S
I am holding out for the Span Drive. I have a Span Panel already. So many cool features that it'll be awesome, including variable charge rates based on current load, charging priority, etc.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Personally , I would go with the Rivian charger , professionally installed by a licensed electrician. âś…

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I had a pre-order on the Rivian EVSE because it's an _amazing_ value for what you get. It's capable up to 48KW charging (somewhat future proofing) and has the app for management.

I ended up cancelling it and going with a Clipper Creek HCS-50 because my wife's Volvo XC40 Recharge came in sooner than we expected and we needed an EVSE _right now_. The HCS-50 is the same one Rivian is using at the service centers so I felt confident in it for my own at-home use.
Is it because the Rivian chargers are currently not available, so its service centers are installed with/installing Clipper Creek chargers?

GR

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Is it because the Rivian chargers are currently not available, so its service centers are installed with/installing Clipper Creek chargers?

GR
Yes, exactly

Stephe

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
It
The charger supplied with the truck, I can schedule the charge hours with that thru the truck UI right? Just not w the app…. Correct me if I’m wrong please.
FYI anyone who needs an upgraded panel is looking at ~3k

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
With the Rivian charger going up to $750, I am now contemplating going with a third party charger. I keep seeing people talk about installing ChargePoint or Clipper Creek chargers, are these two brands more reliable than others? Reliability is important to me because I don't want to replace a charger every year or two.

By the way, how long do these chargers typically last? Do they go outdated even if they don't fail? I am looking at ones that plug in instead of hardwire so that I can "move" it to a new house when that happens. However, if I don't plan to move in 10 years, would it become obsolete in that time frame? Thanks.

GR

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
With the Rivian charger going up to $750, I am now contemplating going with a third party charger. I keep seeing people talk about installing ChargePoint or Clipper Creek chargers, are these two brands more reliable than others? Reliability is important to me because I don't want to replace a charger every year or two.

By the way, how long do these chargers typically last? Do they go outdated even if they don't fail? I am looking at ones that plug in instead of hardwire so that I can "move" it to a new house when that happens. However, if I don't plan to move in 10 years, would it become obsolete in that time frame? Thanks.

GR
If you preordered before March 1, the price is not increasing.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
If you preordered before March 1, the price is not increasing.
I did not. I figured I would have plenty of time to add one later and not factor in that the price can go up. Plus, I wasn't entirely sold on getting a hardwired one at the time.

GR

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
I have a Tesla and Chevy Bolt and use a Wallbox 40amp with 14-50 plug for about a year now and have no complaints. The cable is long enough to reach both cars. The app works well. Don't remember how much I paid. I don't think it matters that much as long as whatever you get is properly wired and is put in a location where you can reach all of your cars/trucks. I think once you have one EV, you don't want to go back to ICE.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did not. I figured I would have plenty of time to add one later and not factor in that the price can go up. Plus, I wasn't entirely sold on getting a hardwired one at the time.

GR
You didn’t preorder a truck, or you just hadn’t optioned the charger?

it is so far unclear wether we’ll be able to add things to configurations at the “old” pricing. But it would make sense.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
You didn’t preorder a truck, or you just hadn’t optioned the charger?

it is so far unclear wether we’ll be able to add things to configurations at the “old” pricing. But it would make sense.
My Guide said they will honor old prices on everything.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles